MSC coming to Galveston in November 2025

George C

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

What makes that original?

It is a rehash of the Feb 6 announcement by the port.

My goodness I thought surely you would have realized your mistake by now. I didn't realize I needed to send just the one sentence that disproves your understanding of the situation. Well here it is:  "The port will convert an existing cargo warehouse into the 165,000-square-foot cruise terminal,” the port said in a news release.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed MSC in the past and would definitely do again. 

The food and service were excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the multi cultural atmosphere.  This is an Italian cruise line with many nationalities aboard.

The problems we encountered were extremely rude Americans. An embarrassment to our country. And, I am being kind in my words.

I had one employee tell me I was the only American who said thank you as he burst into tears.

Remember to treat people the way you wish to be treated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 5:24 PM, MoCowBell said:

My goodness I thought surely you would have realized your mistake by now. I didn't realize I needed to send just the one sentence that disproves your understanding of the situation. Well here it is:  "The port will convert an existing cargo warehouse into the 165,000-square-foot cruise terminal,” the port said in a news release.

It is rare to read a bad review for any yacht club cabins.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:51 PM, c-leg5 said:

However building ports and bringing in new big ships isn’t going to be sustainable if the supporting infrastructure isn’t there. 

I do think we are seeing a huge increase in hotel capacity. The biggest challenge is the distance from the airports to the port. However, being close to Houston, I don't think infrastructure is a big issue, as Houston is enormous. Cruise activity is a blip on the radar for a city of 6-7 million. 

1 minute ago, theotherchad said:

I do think we are seeing a huge increase in hotel capacity. The biggest challenge is the distance from the airports to the port. However, being close to Houston, I don't think infrastructure is a big issue, as Houston is enormous. Cruise activity is a blip on the radar for a city of 6-7 million. 

Lack of easy transport options and imposed two-night stay in Galveston are problems that have been discussed for ever by people considering flying into Houston to cruise from Galveston. 

Galveston obviously has other tourist attractions, conferences and festivals and often hotel prices on the island reflect this and at a weekend especially they often impose a 2-night minimum stay. People can stay easily off the island but that isn’t always what someone unfamiliar with the area wants.

Obviously it is possible but it is an added hassle compared to other ports. I just think to appeal to a wider audience obstacles need to be minimized.

I was using the word infrastructure loosely to include lodging, transport (from the airport and locally), parking, food venues etc. - just general supporting services

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

I was using the word infrastructure loosely to include lodging, transport (from the airport and locally), parking, food venues etc. - just general supporting services

I think all the issues you listed are an issue for some folks and not as much for others. I wonder how Galveston will stack up against some of the much busier ports like Miami (when we have significantly more ships than we do now)  when it comes to how difficult all those factors are (parking, getting to the port, etc.). I've heard lots of horror stories and accounts of things being super easy. Everybody's experience is different, I guess. 

I would say that unless it's during one of the big holidays/festivals/biker ralllies, etc. I don't see an issue with there being sufficient restaurants, etc. On those weekends, though, all bets are off. Galveston is a madhouse during those special weekends. 

I have to assume that all the cruise lines new to Galveston or having announced they will be there in the future have looked into everything and found the positives to far out weight the negatives. They wouldn't be sending their largest, newest ships if they were unsure of the business prospects. I'd say the biggest issue isn't "infrastructure" in the Houston/Galveston area but the lack of diversity in ports available to mass market lines wanting to offer 7 day or shorter cruises.

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'd say the biggest issue isn't "infrastructure" in the Houston/Galveston area but the lack of diversity in ports available to mass market lines wanting to offer 7 day or shorter cruises.

You got that right! They used to toggle back and forth through about 8 or 10 ports and now, it seems they toggle between 3 or 4. 

On 3/24/2024 at 1:25 PM, theotherchad said:

I think all the issues you listed are an issue for some folks and not as much for others. I wonder how Galveston will stack up against some of the much busier ports like Miami (when we have significantly more ships than we do now)  when it comes to how difficult all those factors are (parking, getting to the port, etc.). I've heard lots of horror stories and accounts of things being super easy. Everybody's experience is different, I guess. 

I would say that unless it's during one of the big holidays/festivals/biker ralllies, etc. I don't see an issue with there being sufficient restaurants, etc. On those weekends, though, all bets are off. Galveston is a madhouse during those special weekends. 

Galveston cruising is not a madhouse on those special weekends .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ssb said:

Galveston cruising is not a madhouse on those special weekends .

Not once you're at the cruise terminal and on the ship it's not, but getting around the island can be a bit challenging on those days. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theotherchad said:

Not once you're at the cruise terminal and on the ship it's not, but getting around the island can be a bit challenging on those days. 

We live here and have never had an issue getting around.  We learn what streets will be closed and use alternative vs. Broadway. Seawall and Harborside.  Road closures are always posted on FB by the City.

12 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

We live here and have never had an issue getting around.  We learn what streets will be closed and use alternative vs. Broadway. Seawall and Harborside.  Road closures are always posted on FB by the City.

I'm sure there are advantages to being local, but most people aren't going to have that info. We've either debarked or embarked during the Shrimp Festival once and during the Lone Star Rally once. Both times, it was a madhouse for us. Not insurmountable, but definitely inconvenient. We know our way around the island in general, but didn't have any special knowledge of alternate routes. 

On 3/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, theotherchad said:

Getting around the island is easy for us . 

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

You live there, it might not be as easy for tourists

The island is not that large and any map will show it is laid out in a grid.  I have utilized google maps all over the world when driving and not had an issue.  Granted, some can't find their way out of the driveway.  But the island is very easy to navigate.

3 minutes ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

The island is not that large and any map will show it is laid out in a grid.  I have utilized google maps all over the world when driving and not had an issue.  Granted, some can't find their way out of the driveway.  But the island is very easy to navigate.

I don' t generally have any issues as we are on the island at least 6 or 8 times a year for the last decade or more (COVID first year excepted), but I have definitely encountered some gridlock and way more traffic than usual on those special event weekends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theotherchad said:

I don' t generally have any issues as we are on the island at least 6 or 8 times a year for the last decade or more (COVID first year excepted), but I have definitely encountered some gridlock and way more traffic than usual on those special event weekends. 

Its all relative to where and  when you are going

On 3/22/2024 at 1:37 PM, TheLargeFamily said:

Is anyone booked on this new ship? I considered it but the reviews are terrible! Bad food, bars closing early, grumpy service. It seems like you have to do yacht club to have a decent experience. 

Hi, we're booked on the Seascape for Feb/26. Looking forward to it as we've only sailed from Miami or Port Canaveral.

We've yet to sail YC but have found we like MSC and have found the food decent and service excellent with the exception of the 3 night portion of a 10 day out of Canaveral. That part of the cruise was unpleasant due to fellow passengers. Many were rude, abrassive and demanding. Had that been our first, it would have been the last...

• Like 2