Pursuit zodiac entry and exit

SO has recently had a shoulder replacement surgery.  She is concerned about getting in and out of Zodiacs. 

Have the expedition ships done anything special to easy entry and exit.

Any advice on how to limit pressure on shoulders while getting in and out.

TIA

The ease of getting in and out of the zodiac is very dependent on sea conditions - it can be tricky.  I saw people fall over, more than once.  In all cases, you make a "sailor's grip" (they will demonstrate this) with both arms and hands, so hands must be free.  They will take your poles and give them to you once seated.  The crew is great - just let them know your situation, and they will do everything they can to help.  If they feel it is too rough to make a safe entry, they may not allow it, but they really do want you to experience Antarctica and will do their best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DubDublady said:

JJS217 when you say you saw people fall over can I presume into the zodiac and not the water ?

That is correct - it was into the zodiac, not the water.  It happened when the individual did not sit down right away (they have you sit down on the zodiac bladder and slide your tush over) and continued to stand.  The crew are good about timing the wave action against the boat.  If you don't sit down right away, you can be caught off guard.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:46 PM, jtslattery said:

SO has recently had a shoulder replacement surgery.  She is concerned about getting in and out of Zodiacs. 

Have the expedition ships done anything special to easy entry and exit.

Any advice on how to limit pressure on shoulders while getting in and out.

TIA

To be quite honest, the Venture entry and exit wasn't exactly a piece of cake. They have a fairly weird system where the zodiac zones are located on both sides of the ship and they do not put any mobile stair to make it smoother. You basically step from the ship into the zodiac so if the sea is rough you gotta wait for the proper timing.

On the bright side I don't think there is a lot of pressure on the shoulders when you grab the arms of the crew helping you in and out..

What I would not recommend is the optional kayak activity, there you need quite a bit of shoulder strength to get back on the zodiac from the kayak. 

Seabourn could definitely improve this system though.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:53 AM, Khareef said:

To be quite honest, the Venture entry and exit wasn't exactly a piece of cake. They have a fairly weird system where the zodiac zones are located on both sides of the ship and they do not put any mobile stair to make it smoother. You basically step from the ship into the zodiac so if the sea is rough you gotta wait for the proper timing.

On the bright side I don't think there is a lot of pressure on the shoulders when you grab the arms of the crew helping you in and out..

What I would not recommend is the optional kayak activity, there you need quite a bit of shoulder strength to get back on the zodiac from the kayak. 

Seabourn could definitely improve this system though.

Is there at least a *box* that one can step down unto when boarding the zodiac (like some lines have for zodiacs) , before then stopping unto the zodiac's floor, or is it straight from the ship exit down unto the floor of the zodiac (the latter requires more sense of balance and puts more pressure on sick knees, which is my concern)?

57 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Is there at least a *box* that one can step down unto when boarding the zodiac (like some lines have for zodiacs) , before then stopping unto the zodiac's floor, or is it straight from the ship exit down unto the floor of the zodiac (the latter requires more sense of balance and puts more pressure on sick knees, which is my concern)?

Can't say what the situation is on Pursuit but on Venture you step onto the zodiac then onto a box then onto the deck of the zodiac and with more than ample assistance from the crew.  Have to guess it's the very same set-up on Pursuit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, same on Pursuit. There is a box to step on when getting in and out of the Zodiac to and from the ship. Granted we have had mostly calm seas but I haven't been at all nervous and I have seen people with mobility aids transfer into and out of the Zodiacs with little to no trouble.

Also I highly recommend wearing the Seabourn-provided waterproof boots on the Zodiac at all times, regardless of whether you will be landing. You never know if you'll get splashed!

On 2/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

You need to be able to hold on to the ropes when you are underway.    This requires some strength in your hands and arms.   Don’t forget waterproof gloves and pants.

Just off the Quest.  I never hung on to the ropes while in the zodiac.  We were told to lean forward and put most of your weight on your feet and calves, so your momentum will carry you INTO the zodiac should you hit a big wave.  Holding on to the ropes is just for a FEELING of security.  It won't keep you in the zodiac should something happen.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We were instructed to hang onto the ropes, but this was on a Greenland Expedition.   Is it different in other areas?

When we were on Quest last year and did the Antarctica portion we were recommended to hang onto the ropes when the zodiac was moving. It was just with one hand. I guess different zodiac captains were different. I could see how leaning forward so you were propelled into the middle would work but I would find that uncomfortable for a long period.

You should be fine.  Had two passengers in wheelchairs who were on our Venture cruise in Antarctica and the crew working the zodiacs seemed very skilled and capable to accommodate them and their wheelchairs.