Boston hotel; pre-cruise; NCL flight in

I won't know what time my arriving flight will be until a month or so prior to sailing.

From our home airport, we definitely have a one stop - which in best case would land between 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. (depending on which flight NCL selects).

If flight got in late, I would probably stay at airport hotel.  I want to book a refundable hotel for somewhere historic and within walking of sites.  We are o.k using T line or Metro.

What thoughts do you have?  Am I overthinking the flight arrival time?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cajun-crazy said:

I want to book a refundable hotel for somewhere historic and within walking of sites.  We are o.k using T line or Metro.

What thoughts do you have?  Am I overthinking the flight arrival time?

What is your budget and what time of year? Boston hotels in the historic core can range anywhere from modest to wildly expensive-- a lot will depend on what you are willing to spend and if it is over a major city wide event like Head of the Charles or school move in weekends or runions. 

1 hour ago, cajun-crazy said:

I am not looking for a specific hotel recommendation, but an area, such as Back Bay or Seaport.

Back Bay would have my vote-- my favorite overall hotel in the city is the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Not the most luxurious hotel in Boston (it's a beautiful old grande dame property designed by the same architect as The Plaza in New York) but it's the location that's nearly perfect. Off Copley Square you have easy access to Back Bay and walking distance to everything historic including Boston Common/Public Garden. The Newbury Hotel (which a lot of us who lived in Boston a long time ago would still call the "old" Ritz-Carlton) would also be a superbly located hotel. Both of these are on the pricier side so any other hotels around that area that fit your budget would be what I would say to look at. 

The Seaport is certainly to some people's taste but for the most part it is comprised of newly build high rises and corporate hotels and lacks most of the charm and historic character that other parts of the city have for an out of town visitor. 

Thank you!  My concern would be the flight arrives late and it was considered "not worth it" to stay IN Boston.  But we'll have most of the next morning anyway.  I do tend to overthink - so thanks for that vote !

Depending upon how much of a discount booking air with NCL gives you, you might want to book your own flight separately - you would be close to certain to get better flight times, giving you the opportunity to maximize your visit to Boston.

The discounted fare allows me to fly from our local airport instead of driving 2.5 hours to New Orleans (and paying for 10 days of parking) to fly from there. And saves about 50%. After I use the BOGO once, then I can decide if it is worth it or not!

On 1/12/2024 at 2:11 PM, princeton123211 said:

Back Bay would have my vote-- my favorite overall hotel in the city is the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Not the most luxurious hotel in Boston (it's a beautiful old grande dame property designed by the same architect as The Plaza in New York) but it's the location that's nearly perfect. Off Copley Square you have easy access to Back Bay and walking distance to everything historic including Boston Common/Public Garden. The Newbury Hotel (which a lot of us who lived in Boston a long time ago would still call the "old" Ritz-Carlton) would also be a superbly located hotel. Both of these are on the pricier side so any other hotels around that area that fit your budget would be what I would say to look at. 

The Seaport is certainly to some people's taste but for the most part it is comprised of newly build high rises and corporate hotels and lacks most of the charm and historic character that other parts of the city have for an out of town visitor. 

We are staying in Boston 3 nights post cruise.  Would Back Bay be the place for us to stay to walk or easy transit to all the historical areas in Boston?  Hotels seem to be pricey in the area but we know location plays a part in that. We will fly out of Logan if that makes a difference. 

11 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are staying in Boston 3 nights post cruise.  Would Back Bay be the place for us to stay to walk or easy transit to all the historical areas in Boston?  Hotels seem to be pricey in the area but we know location plays a part in that.

Yes-- that would be one of the better places to stay for touring as well as Downtown towards the waterfront where there might be some slightly better deals (especially on the weekend since they are mainly business hotels there). There are also a handful of hotels on the backside of Beacon Hill. All would be walkable to most major historical sites. 

• Like 1

September is expensive in Boston.  For one night pre-cruise I'd stay in the Seaport district, where you can get a good meal and see a little of Boston and be close to the port.  For 3 days after the cruise, definitely Back Bay or Copley Square or Fanueil Hall area for best tourist experience. But it is going to cost you.