Ship Photography

ScottC4746

Our first cruise on X was Solstice in 2022.  We were appalled at the quality of the photos done by the photographers.  We took every photo they wanted to take because it had been some time since DH and I have had cruise photos done.

Just about every photo had "cute" accents added to them such as streamers, they were grainy, and worse that took every photo where it looked like they were trying to get the stomachs just slightly higher than the lens which accentuated our already accentuated and very round stomachs.  We ended up buying nothing.

Have they improved?  Is this the norm?  Did we just have bad photographers? 

We are on the Edge in May and hope they have improved. 

Edited by ScottC4746

Never had bad photos on X. Sometimes the poses they ask for are not flattering,  and we just ask for basic poses.

Ones from E Class have been excellent !

On my most recent Beyond sailing in the Mediterranean, we booked time with a ship photographer. 

We had an appointment in our stateroom to discuss the best locations around the ship for photographs. On the day we did the shoot, they set up lighting at every location plus took ample time to consider angles and views.

I believe he took almost 800 photos, of which he took a few days to narrow down to the top 25%. From these 25%, he did a private presentation of those from which we selected the top 20 pictures.

We had a very nice bound book created of these 20 pictures in large, high resolution.

We also received a digital copy of the 25% best pictures plus all other random shots taken around the ship.

Excellent, high resolution and quality. We liked the service.

Edited by buncosquad

• 2 weeks later...

The website doesn't list any photo packages other than actual sessions with a photographer. I usually buy a photo package on cruises that includes a certain number of photos snapped all throughout the cruise. Does Celebrity not offer this at all? Do the regular ship photos have to be purchased individually?

In the past 8-9 months they have eliminated most of the photographers.    They no longer have the unlimited photo packages and have shifted to a new business model.     They now have 1 or more green screens setup.   You pose and then later decide which background you want added.    The then sell them on a per picture basis.

At least that's the experience I've seen on my last 6 E-Class cruises.

As mentioned above you can also make an appointment for a Studio Shoot.

• Like 1

As I posted previously (and this was in an Iconic suite for 11 nights in the Mediterranean on Beyond), I requested a photo shoot at specific locations around the ship and in my stateroom.

They set up the lighting and cameras and carried all of it along and to each location as we moved through the ship. Super professional. Excellent photographer who had good instincts.

I also purchased a large super high resolution print version, handmade book of the top 20 pictures (but also received all digital format as well of the overall top set of pictures).

They will customize and do anything you want. They'll price it all accordingly.

Bottom line: you don't have to do any green screen in studio pictures, though that was an option. We just wanted the real thing. 

Edited by buncosquad

I don't want a formal photo shoot. I usually just buy the pics taken all throughout - at embarkation, at dinner, around the ship, in front of the backdrops or staircases, etc. Other cruiselines have packages where you can choose 5-10 of those impromptu pictures for a flat fee. It seems that Celebrity does not offer this. Good to know!