Celebrity app and iphone6

PMT51

Hi. I have an old iphone6 running software version 12.5.7.

I downloaded the app onto this phone for our cruise last year. I decided to check it out in advance of this years cruise. 

I got onto the app and logged in. It found my cruise and gave me a pop-up saying an update was needed. No problem going to the app store.

I tried to update but get a pop- up that says my ios is too old for the newest version of the app but also says I can download an older compatible version. 

When I click on the button to download an older version, nothing happens.

I tried uninstalling the app, turning off the phone, manually re-downloading the app and get the same thing.

Except for upgrading my phone (can't afford it, spent all my money on the cruise🙂) does anyone have any ideas what else I can do?

Don't get nervous-- This should work-- 

Try upgrading your iphone to the latest ios--

Open the iphone-- Press Settings-- Scroll down to General--Press General--Scroll down to Software Update---Press Software Update---Press Automatic Updates--- Make sure Download ios Updates and Install ios Updates are both On ( Green light )---- and the iphone will update automatically to the latest ios that your iphone can support.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PMT51 said:

Hi. I have an old iphone6 running software version 12.5.7.

I downloaded the app onto this phone for our cruise last year. I decided to check it out in advance of this years cruise. 

I got onto the app and logged in. It found my cruise and gave me a pop-up saying an update was needed. No problem going to the app store.

I tried to update but get a pop- up that says my ios is too old for the newest version of the app but also says I can download an older compatible version. 

When I click on the button to download an older version, nothing happens.

I tried uninstalling the app, turning off the phone, manually re-downloading the app and get the same thing.

Except for upgrading my phone (can't afford it, spent all my money on the cruise🙂) does anyone have any ideas what else I can do?

The iPhone 6 is over nine years old. Anything over seven years old is obsolete and neither Apple or third party developers continue support for hardware that old. It is also a mistake to continue to use a phone that no longer is supported because it has not been getting security updates. Your phone is easy pickings fo hackers and you can bet they are out there looking for vulnerable devices. So if you could get an old software update installed I advise against using that phone. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 7

Get a new phone...

Seriously. An iPhone 6 running iOS 12 is missing three full generations of security updates. I'm hoping you don't have your bank or credit card app on it!

Look for a used unlocked phone. You can get refurbished iPhone 12's direct from Apple, and there are other resellers out there. But you can't update the phone to a version of iOS that will let you run the app. 

OP here.  Thank you all for your input and advice about security.

The phone is only used as an ereader, podcast player, for a few on-board ganes and to access an on-line forum (not this one). It is only used on wifi and not with any carrier, no data no phoning, no banking, hardly any email.

I wanted to use the Celebrity app for the chat function to be able to contact DH while aboard.

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2024 at 3:54 PM, paulh84 said:

You can’t do anything. Your phone doesn’t support anything higher than iOS 12 and the app requires iOS 15 or newer. 

Celebrity’s app updated again and now it’s requires iOS 17 or newer. 🤦‍♀️

It was working just fine 3 days ago and now it doesn’t. 😡

no time to get a new phone, cruise is in 3 days. 
There should be warning and Celebrity should keep an old version of the app for a few weeks for people who are already in a process of check- in. 
☹️😡👎👎👎

My phone is older also and I do not want the newer versions, I don't trust them more but sometimes its best not to upgrade, I find when I do upgrades I run into problems.  The old app works fine.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

My phone is older also and I do not want the newer versions, I don't trust them more but sometimes its best not to upgrade, I find when I do upgrades I run into problems.  The old app works fine.

Do you mean the old Celebrity app? In the other thread people found they could no longer use the previous app. That’s what started that thread. 

Don’t expect the old app to continue to work fine. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, markeb said:

Do you mean the old Celebrity app? In the other thread people found they could no longer use the previous app. That’s what started that thread. 

Don’t expect the old app to continue to work fine. 

If they don’t have their apps on automatic update, most people do, then it might keep working, for a bit. Eventually it won’t work because what they are really saying when they require iOS 17 is they don’t test their update on earlier versions. As you have noted they most likely outsource the app so they don’t likely don’t want to spend money to pay engineers to support old software or hardware. 

Edited by Charles4515