Any recent experience with booking guaranteed inside cabins?

WingerSupreme

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I see that now.  Just for reference, to move from one cabin to another in the same category once the bid has been accepted, is no longer allowed.  

We bid from a BD to a premier balcony just recently and ‘won’ the upgrade.  We were just notified of our new cabin. In speaking with my cruise planner, I was told that Polar has now been updated to disallow a move within the same category once that bid has been accepted.  Maybe it can be overridden by someone up the chain but, think they are now discouraging that practice to the point of not even allowing it.  Good thing I was happy with any cabin in the premium cabin category.  By recently, I mean it was just in the last couple of days.  Even my cruise planner was surprised it couldn’t be done.  

Hear that, but this move concept was not about the bid process.  Perhaps it all was getting muddled together by the OP's wording, but I took his question to mean electing to request a move after receiving a GTY cabin assignment and not from an upgrade bid.

• Like 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

@WingerSupreme, just took a dive into your voyage.  For $98 total more, you can select any cabin up through IB.  This gives you a wide range of choice since PCL is not charging a premium above IE.  Your deposit is refundable.

Many of us like the "sideways" Inside ones on the Royal Class ships as they have a nice layout for desk and closet area.  I highly recommend booking the refundable deposit whether you decide to choose the cabin or not.

I'm booking through a TA that's got a really good price on the guaranteed cabin, so for us it'd be about $300 CAD ($224 USD) to upgrade, and it removes the chance (however slim) of being bumped up to a better cabin without bidding.

Also, I understand your point about the refundable deposits, but we're pretty committed, and I have built-in travel insurance through my Visa (plus I will buy additional insurance for the cruise itself).

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I see that now.  Just for reference, to move from one cabin to another in the same category once the bid has been accepted, is no longer allowed.  

We bid from a BD to a premier balcony just recently and ‘won’ the upgrade.  We were just notified of our new cabin. In speaking with my cruise planner, I was told that Polar has now been updated to disallow a move within the same category once that bid has been accepted.  Maybe it can be overridden by someone up the chain but, think they are now discouraging that practice to the point of not even allowing it.  Good thing I was happy with any cabin in the premium cabin category.  By recently, I mean it was just in the last couple of days.  Even my cruise planner was surprised it couldn’t be done.  

We did this in September when our bid was accepted and changed to a different location in the same category. 

Thanks for the heads up!  It wouldn't have been a deal breaker, we just like being close to the stairs leading to the gym and wakeview bar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

This is really good advice.  You should also research at the price increase to go to a Oceanview, as sometimes the delta over an interior isn't that great.

Sure, and also check Obstructed Balconies.  However, on OP's voyage the upcharge for an OV is $600/pp (they are Premium) and OP has stated on a tight budget.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Sure, and also check Obstructed Balconies.  However, on OP's voyage the upcharge for an OV is $600/pp (they are Premium) and OP has stated on a tight budget.

Roger that.  Obviously, you've done some research!  😉

Yeah for some reason, balconies and oceanviews are basically the same price on this trip. 

Although I actually noticed that with a couple trips on various cruiselines, some have obstructed balconies cheaper than oceanviews. 

• Like 1

Okay,  it sounds like you are seeing a unique offer???

As you can see, with Princess, things can change fairly quickly lately!!!  And it can be confusing.

It sounds like you are working your way thru this, and can make a good 'informed' decision.

Other markets can also be handled differently than the US...

Just make sure you cover all of this with your TA so there are no surprises.

It sounds like you might be locked in with the deposit and the assigned cabin.

I do hope you get to enjoy cruising!

16 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

I'm booking through a TA that's got a really good price on the guaranteed cabin, so for us it'd be about $300 CAD ($224 USD) to upgrade, and it removes the chance (however slim) of being bumped up to a better cabin without bidding.

Also, I understand your point about the refundable deposits, but we're pretty committed, and I have built-in travel insurance through my Visa (plus I will buy additional insurance for the cruise itself).

If your TA can offer a "really good price" on a cabin that Princess is selling for $999, they can also offer a "really good price" on a cabin selling for $1049 on the same ship/voyage.

And, no, you would not lose opportunity to be upgraded to another cabin.  You could elect to book as a GTY in those other categories and also have the refundable deposit.  Anyway, I was just pointing it out as some newbies do not realize about the non-refundable aspect.  As long as you go in understanding the situation, it's all good.

ETA:  Talk to your TA.  Is this a new TA?  There are some good online discount TA's in USA that beat pants off Canadian TA's who generally do not discount at all.  So, you are lucky if you are getting lower price than website from a Canadian TA.  Anyway, my US-based TA's would apply the same discount percent to either IF GTY (Non-Ref Dep) or IB GTY (Ref Dep).  So, the upgrade cost NET would be under $42/pp or at most $42 approx per person.  Just sayin'.

Edited by Steelers36

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Okay,  it sounds like you are seeing a unique offer???

As you can see, with Princess, things can change fairly quickly lately!!!  And it can be confusing.

It sounds like you are working your way thru this, and can make a good 'informed' decision.

Other markets can also be handled differently than the US...

Just make sure you cover all of this with your TA so there are no surprises.

It sounds like you might be locked in with the deposit and the assigned cabin.

I do hope you get to enjoy cruising!

FYI, Canada and US markets are identical.  Exception is any regional promotions such as selected States or Canada which can affect Americans similarly. 

19 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

@Cruise Raider I think I understand what you're saying. Prior to the bid, if you wanted to change cabins within the same category, that would've been mine. However after you bid on (and win) an upgrade, you're locked into that cabin. Right?

That’s exactly what I was told just a few days ago. I cannot be sure this is how it will be later this year but that’s what they are doing at this very moment.  
A few months ago, I was given a complimentary upgrade from an inside to a balcony cabin but the cruise was not full.  There was another cabin in the same category I liked a bit more and they moved me to it without question.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If your TA can offer a "really good price" on a cabin that Princess is selling for $999, they can also offer a "really good price" on a cabin selling for $1049 on the same ship/voyage.

And, no, you would not lose opportunity to be upgraded to another cabin.  You could elect to book as a GTY in those other categories and also have the refundable deposit.  Anyway, I was just pointing it out as some newbies do not realize about the non-refundable aspect.  As long as you go in understanding the situation, it's all good.

I can't talk about TAs specifically so you're kind of putting me in a bind, but the total cost difference between a GTY and picking our own is $300 CAD.

Through the Princess website, an Interior Cabin works out to $3,435 CAD (before tips).

Through the TA, a GTY Interior is $2,819 CAD (before tips), and choosing our own is $3,069 CAD. So yes, it's still a good deal to choose our own (compared to the standard Princess rate), but it's a difference of $250.

Also, when I mentioned "losing the ability to get upgraded," I wasn't talking about bidding on an upgrade. There are situations, like the first person who responded to me, where you book a guaranteed inside cabin but get bumped to oceanview or balcony without needing to bid on an upgrade. 

Anyways, while I appreciate your help, I wasn't really looking for tips on which rooms to book or whether or not I should book a GTY, I was looking for information from people who have booked them and what their experience was - did they get bumped up a category, did they get stuck in the worst room in the ship, etc.

IMHO,  for a 10 day cruise that cost this amount of money...  It would be worth it to be able to choose my cabin, and to have a refundable deposit.

I know what it is like to have to work within a budget!!!  Wish we could cruise more often...

But, I would give good consideration to booking at least a 'choose your cabin' and refundable deposit.

Somebody mentioned above that the sideways (forward to aft) cabins are a different layout than the ones that are the standard (port to starboard) layout.

There might be some good videos out there.

But, they do have the door that opens directly into the main bed area, instead of the little entry hall with the bath and closet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

I can't talk about TAs specifically so you're kind of putting me in a bind, but the total cost difference between a GTY and picking our own is $300 CAD.

Through the Princess website, an Interior Cabin works out to $3,435 CAD (before tips).

Through the TA, a GTY Interior is $2,819 CAD (before tips), and choosing our own is $3,069 CAD. So yes, it's still a good deal to choose our own (compared to the standard Princess rate), but it's a difference of $250.

Also, when I mentioned "losing the ability to get upgraded," I wasn't talking about bidding on an upgrade. There are situations, like the first person who responded to me, where you book a guaranteed inside cabin but get bumped to oceanview or balcony without needing to bid on an upgrade. 

Anyways, while I appreciate your help, I wasn't really looking for tips on which rooms to book or whether or not I should book a GTY, I was looking for information from people who have booked them and what their experience was - did they get bumped up a category, did they get stuck in the worst room in the ship, etc.

Alright, fair enough.  Your TA must have access to some sort of pre-purchase block from Princess where they put a promo on for the GTY IF with Non-Ref deposit.  A lot of people complained when this happened and were avoiding booking those "lead-in" categories.  It seems only logical explain for an "out of bounds" type high discount on the IF GTY and not so much on the other categories.

As I was looking at this a bit more between US and Canada, I noticed the Non-Ref option is now gone so either a new promo idea or they sold out of that option.  Best get with your TA soon and see if they still have it.

• Thanks 1

Here is a video of one of the sideways layout cabins.

Notice the extra space thee on both sides of the bed, where the little side tables do not have to be squished in.   And, notice the closet and shelf space on both sides of the entry to the bathroom door.

Also, If I am correct. (somebody tell if I am wrong). But you really really want to avoid an inside that can accommodate more than two guests.. As the bunks are not drop-down, but are actually hanging on the wall, which takes up space and is just not great.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

@Steelers36 It's in USD, I'm just doing the calculations myself to make it easier for me to figure out. 

Got it.  I do all our PCL bookings in USD and drives me nuts when at home and website only shows me CAD.  We are down in FL now and I see USD unless logged in.

I booked an in an interior 1F GTY on Enchanted for Jan 27 2024. After a couple of price drops the total was $1040 CAD x 2 plus tips. then I bid on an upgrad to the ocean view for $600 total and won my bid so I am in S103 on the sun deck for a toral of $2680. It looks like it will be a great room, 11 days until sailing.

• Like 1

Firstly, I don't mean to sabotage this thread with another type of question. In all of my cruises I have never booked a guarantee. That being said on our next cruise on the Island Princess, I saw a price drop on the Princess website for a considerable amount and contacted my TA but the caveat to getting the price drop was to take a guarantee. I decided to take a leap of faith, so as t speak, and go for it as the drop was $1500 CAD. I checked my cruise personalizer and the category is BB. Our original cabin was a balcony on deck 12 and after checking the deck plan, I see that BB is on deck 11. Sometimes guarantees work in your favour. Now comes the wait to see what they give me. Am I right in my assumptions? BTW, I got several price drops through my checking on the Princess website, My TA never contacted me.

Edited by HMSDingy

3 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

Firstly, I don't mean to sabotage this thread with another type of question. In all of my cruises I have never booked a guarantee. That being said on our next cruise on the Island Princess, I saw a price drop on the Princess website for a considerable amount and contacted my TA but the caveat to getting the price drop was to take a guarantee. I decided to take a leap of faith, so as t speak, and go for it as the drop was $1500 CAD. I checked my cruise personalizer and the category is BB. Our original cabin was a balcony on deck 12 and after checking the deck plan, I see that BB is on deck 11. Sometimes guarantees work in your favour. Now comes the wait to see what they give me. Am I right in my assumptions? BTW, I got several price drops through my checking on the Princess website, My TA never contacted me.

You will be assigned BB or better, but could be on any deck.  At least you know BB will not be far forward or far aft if you like to avoid those zones.  There will be BB's on more than Deck 11, but perhaps all are assigned to other guests or withheld from sale.  I wouldn't be expecting a TA to contact client for a Princess (or other line) price drop.  IMO, up to the guest to be on the watch for these and then get with TA to re-fare or cancel/re-book.  (No doubt some do this sort of thing, but they mustn't have too many clients or they wouldn't have a lot of time to sell cruises.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You will be assigned BB or better, but could be on any deck.  At least you know BB will not be far forward or far aft if you like to avoid those zones.  There will be BB's on more than Deck 11, but perhaps all are assigned to other guests or withheld from sale.  I wouldn't be expecting a TA to contact client for a Princess (or other line) price drop.  IMO, up to the guest to be on the watch for these and then get with TA to re-fare or cancel/re-book.  (No doubt some do this sort of thing, but they mustn't have too many clients or they wouldn't have a lot of time to sell cruises.

Thanks for the response. But by looking at the deck plans, I see that BB is only on deck 11 and for that reason I'm ok with the guarantee. My fear is that we get stuck with an obstructed balcony or one overlooking a lifeboat. Would us being platinum work for us? Once assigned, would I be able to change in the same category if there are nay available? As for the TA, he's a personal friend so I not too happy that he's checking the prices more often. For all that he's done, I really could have done it myself. 

3 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Thanks for the response. But by looking at the deck plans, I see that BB is only on deck 11 and for that reason I'm ok with the guarantee. My fear is that we get stuck with an obstructed balcony or one overlooking a lifeboat. Would us being platinum work for us? Once assigned, would I be able to change in the same category if there are nay available? As for the TA, he's a personal friend so I not too happy that he's checking the prices more often. For all that he's done, I really could have done it myself. 

When a guest has a cabin assignment - either selected or from a GTY booking - it is possible to change to another open cabin in the same category.  Since you have a BB GTY, you will not be assigned obstructed since they are a lower category than yours.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

When a guest has a cabin assignment - either selected or from a GTY booking - it is possible to change to another open cabin in the same category.  Since you have a BB GTY, you will not be assigned obstructed since they are a lower category than yours.

Wow great service. You should be working for Princess. You profile says GTA but I see you're a Steelers fan. I know it's not the same level of football but Montreal winning the Grey Cup was nice. Especially their last minute dramatic finish. Cheers!

You will get, at least, a BB category cabin.

There are some BB balconies on deck 12 as well as deck 11.

You should be fine!

Notice that the ones on deck 12 will be just below the pool deck. 

You might prefer one on deck 11,  as some say they can hear staff setting up the pool deck at dawn.

Edited by Wishing on a star