Bear spray

SoloAlaska

I am taking my third Alaskan cruise in 3 years and plan to do some more serious hiking this time. Most ports I plan on doing a multi hour challenging hike solo. 

note on risk: yes I have seen black bear in Alaska and I’ve seen grizzly scat on a trail. And this was in town or on busy trails. This trip I will be on much quieter trails and hiking solo. Wearing little brass bells is just not smart (bears are habituated to this) but I do talk loudly etc to not sneak up on bears. There have been near fatal attacks on trails nearby in recent years. Also I have been trained in bear safety as part of my college program.

Bear Spray is recommended to be carried for this type of situation. 

Has anyone been able to bring bear spray on their cruise (left with security while on ship of-course)? 

The plan is to buy it when I land in Anchorage. Hike in Seward, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Afterwards I will leave it with someone I know in Ketchikan who can pass it along to someone she knows. I consider this a $50 insurance policy for over 20 hours of hiking planned. I will be with NCL and it will be one of the last cruises of the season.

44 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

No, sorry, you will not be allowed to take the spray on to the ship.  It is strictly prohibited.  

So are drones yet they are allowed on and kept with security.

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

Have you carefully read your cruise contract and all the FAQs to see if they address the issue of bear spray.

DON

Bear spray, as a potential weapon, is listed on the NCL prohibited list.

Haven't had any college training in bears, but we live with them on a regular basis, for over 40 years. Even had one sleeping on the front lawn one morning, when heading out to work. They walk around our neighbourhood a few times a year and I have met them on the local dikes many times over the years.

Never found a need for bear spray, as they generally avoid us, unless getting between a mum and her cubs. Note - we only deal with black bears, not the grizzly.

If you do proceed with the purchase and have it available, I hope your training included the use of bear spray, and that you have experience using the product.

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Haven't had any college training in bears, but we live with them on a regular basis, for over 40 years. Even had one sleeping on the front lawn one morning, when heading out to work. They walk around our neighbourhood a few times a year and I have met them on the local dikes many times over the years.

Never found a need for bear spray, as they generally avoid us, unless getting between a mum and her cubs. Note - we only deal with black bears, not the grizzly.

If you do proceed with the purchase and have it available, I hope your training included the use of bear spray, and that you have experience using the product.

Black bears are rarely predatory and those who are typically aren’t around towns. Honestly I’m more afraid of moose than black bear, moose are unpredictable.

I’ve never had to use bear spray thankfully. I’ve been trained on how to use it and know the risks. It is a last resort measure. Best to have it but never need it than need it but not have it,

39 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Frankly I would be more worried about getting lost or injured on one of your challenging multi-hour solo hikes in late October than I would be about encountering bears.

Experienced navigator and trained as a wilderness EMT in the US back in the day. I will be hiking the last week of September which will probably already be seeing snow in the mountains. I’m researching and selecting trails I feel confident on already and will carry appropriate navigation, signalling, and first aid gear.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Where in British Columbia are you? I see them frequently in Whistler when I go.

I’m not an avid hiker but have to think hiking in SE Alaska the end of September could be miserable with all the rain they get. I suppose if you’re into it you could get past that and enjoy muddy trails. If you’re on Facebook look at “Alaska Bear Spray Exchange”.            

Hopefully you’ve considered the West Glacier Trail and then the Mount McGinnis Trail in Juneau. Not many make it to the top but the views are from above Mendenhall Glacier. You can watch the tour helicopters land on the glacier from above them.

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

September is better.  When you said one of the last cruises and NCL I thought October.

Sorry it’s the last southbound of the season. After that it’s just loops from Seattle or transpacifics. Some of the transfer operators aren’t even running at that time of year and I can’t seem to book a train transfer either. It’s not the easiest time to travel in Alaska.

2 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

I’m not an avid hiker but have to think hiking in SE Alaska the end of September could be miserable with all the rain they get. I suppose if you’re into it you could get past that and enjoy muddy trails. If you’re on Facebook look at “Alaska Bear Spray Exchange”.            

Hopefully you’ve considered the West Glacier Trail and then the Mount McGinnis Trail in Juneau. Not many make it to the top but the views are from above Mendenhall Glacier. You can watch the tour helicopters land on the glacier from above them.

It’s my third time to Alaska in September and hiking in the rain hasn’t put a damper on my mood yet. Funny because back home if it’s raining I’m staying home but Alaska makes me love all weather conditions.

ill have a look into the bear spray exchange thanks. I’m also going to reach out to some contacts along the way.

4 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Drones are not weapons? Have you been following the news lately?

You know what I am referring to. Drones can be weaponized but they are referring to the toys with cameras on them that people go crazy over at Black Friday sales.

17 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Regardless, nothing changes the fact that spray is strictly prohibited, and you will not be allowed to take it on board.  Cruise lines are very strict about this.  Just trying to be helpful here, and that is the answer.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Where in British Columbia are you? I see them frequently in Whistler when I go.

North East Metro Vancouver suburbs. I have walked & biked the Pitt River & Fraser River dikes for > 40 yrs. Not too uncommon to see them walking through the fields below the dikes and a few times have had them cross over the dike about 100 yds ahead.

Didn't see any in the neighbourhood last year, but used to see them a few times a year, especially on garbage days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

North East Metro Vancouver suburbs. I have walked & biked the Pitt River & Fraser River dikes for > 40 yrs. Not too uncommon to see them walking through the fields below the dikes and a few times have had them cross over the dike about 100 yds ahead.

Didn't see any in the neighbourhood last year, but used to see them a few times a year, especially on garbage days.

Cool! 🙂 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Regardless, nothing changes the fact that spray is strictly prohibited, and you will not be allowed to take it on board.  Cruise lines are very strict about this.  Just trying to be helpful here, and that is the answer.  

It’s reasonable to not assume something is strictly prohibited vs prohibited ish since they are all on the same list but treated very differently in real life. That’s why I asked here for anyone with real life experience with bear spray and cruise lines. 

6 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

It’s reasonable to not assume something is strictly prohibited vs prohibited ish since they are all on the same list but treated very differently in real life. That’s why I asked here for anyone with real life experience with bear spray and cruise lines. 

I am Coast Guard and I work very closely with cruise line security.  There is no wiggle room here.  You can't take it on board.  Period.  That is your answer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

I am Coast Guard and I work very closely with cruise line security.  There is no wiggle room here.  You can't take it on board.  Period.  That is your answer.

Thanks I appreciate it. 

Maybe consider bear spray rental for the day so that you don’t have to take them on the ship. I know that the Seward Outdoor Store had some for rentals.  Check out the outdoor gear shops in other ports, too.

• Like 2