Rhine water levels 2024 and similar topics

notamermaid

Greetings from the Rhine valley. Here is the thread for 2024 for everything related to the water levels of the Rhine and bits of information on the river. Join us again with your comments and share your excitement about upcoming trips on this major European river.

Safe travels.

notamermaid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Let us kind of bring forward the flooding topic from December and have a look how that went. Koblenz:

image.png.c3d1fd12a0245ccf1db82a8ea5b7ce72.png

River traffic was halted when the level went over the HSW line. With the Middle Rhine valley on substantial flooding there was the risk of a ban being issued at Cologne. This is the timeline at Cologne:

image.png.e5c7928694cf9d2df0116ac0eebe60eb.png

You can see that the HSW line is not there, the level stayed just below it, peaking at 823cm. Seven centimetres only, the ban happens at 830cm.

So the two Viking ships, the Alruna and the Tialfi both were able to complete the inaugural winter itinerary for Viking.

By the way, I find the itinerary a touch more appealing than the standard "Rhine Getaway".

We now have cold weather, snow, and, as you can see, favourable water level. The hills are covered with dusting of white, that must look nice in the Rhine Gorge.

So both those ships are running on itineraries throughout winter but they will pass other river cruise ships along the way. A few.

Oh, and not all have returned to their winter harbours yet. Two Viking ships may have even been delayed in getting to Cologne-Niehl due to that lock incident on the Main. But they have arrived and the dock looks quite full...

Currently the Avalon Imagery II is in Cologne and passing the Viking Alruna as I write:

image.png.f8dcb86dd83b2e67646618e02482827b.png

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Treacherous conditions today for driving and no way would I try and go up a hill to a castle today. And sun deck staircases are not the best place to be right now either I should think. Yes, I am still not convinced that winter sailings are a good idea.

The lock at Iffezheim will be closed almost a full day tomorrow. The reason is that the right chamber is not usable due to the accident last year. The left chamber now needs work doing so there will be no river traffic through that lock tomorrow. According to a local newspaper the lock at Gambsheim  is also closed tomorrow but I have no details on that.

Edit: If you are interested, this is the notification for skippers as issued by the German authorities:

grafik.thumb.png.e642c4fa49651a263bb927619f4148cd.png

Oh, and the farmers are still busy with protests, a few days ago Alsatian farmers crossed the river and joined the German farmers in solidarity. But as of now I have not heard about disruptions that would directly impact cruising, just road blocks and demonstrations on a minor scale so excursions should be okay as well. There have been solidarity protests by commercial river traffic (it is about Diesel subsidies) but so far this sounds to have been minor.

There is the hint of flooding again from Basel coming via a few tributaries, indicated also at Maxau gauge. But for now it looks to be a minor one, no big deal. We will look at that again tomorrow or so.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added screenshot

At Maxau gauge we can now see the steep rise of the river's level. It will cross the line of navigational flood mark I before midnight most likely. By tomorrow morning this rise should bring the graph above the figure that will put Maxau on official flooding status, 650cm. This is a regular occurrence in the course of winters, and does not mean an automatic impact on river cruising. However, flood mark I is important for navigation as regulations kick in and instruct river traffic how to navigate during the higher levels.

The Rhine valley is covered in snow. A lovely sight.

notamermaid

Glad to see your 2024 Rhine Water levels!  We are on the Viking Tialfi on February 18th so watching everything carefully. We are hoping for the best.  I totally agree no hill climbing/castle visiting in the snow. I know only too well how easy it is to fall and Hubby is on a cane.  Canes DO NOT like the snow. Once again, thanks for your new thread.  Yours, Claudia

18 minutes ago, Novakc said:

Once again, thanks for your new thread. 

My pleasure. Thank you for coming to this year's thread. Exciting weeks for you in anticipation. The Viking Tialfi is in Koblenz right now. Will get back to that later.

I have been out and about today in boots. That worked well. I am steady on my feet and still nimble but it is good to have those thick soles, especially on some modern pavement in my neighbourhood that is surprisingly more slippery than cobblestones.

I wonder what excursion Viking offers in Koblenz. Marksburg Castle is only an optional one these days. Not sure that Ehrenbreitstein Fortress is that exciting after 5pm now. Guess it is just a walk through town? Or does the ship dock overnight?

notamermaid

• Like 1

hello notamermaid and thank you for your invaluable contributions to this forum.

We will be in Koblenz in June with Scenic (Amsterdam - Zurich) and the options for the day are Walking Tour of Koblenz, a visit to Marksburg Castle, or a Walking Tour of Limburg. The ship stays overnight in Koblenz so we are thinking of going to Limburg, then coming back to visit Ehrenbreitstein, then a self guided walk around Koblenz in the evening after dinner.

I'm interested in your comment about Ehrenbreitstein 'after 5pm'. We would be mainly going for the cable car ride and the views. Are you able to elaborate about 'after 5pm' ? (and what do you think of Limburg ??).

Thank you

Thank you for saying hello.

29 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

I'm interested in your comment about Ehrenbreitstein 'after 5pm'.

This was just referring to going up to Ehrenbreitstein in winter. It is dark by 5.30pm now, so with the cold and the darkness I do not find it an attractive place to be. It will be great in June! Coming from Australia, if you have not seen a castle before, Marksburg Castle is a very attractive option. It is great, but you need to be aware that the area within the castle is not good for those with mobility issues. It is a little strenuous. If you are not sure about that one, check youtube for videos. A river cruise company has put together a nice video I find: https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/video/destination-insights/iconic-marksburg-castle/play.html

A walking tour of Koblenz is certainly nice but having been so close to it for much of my life I cannot be enthusiastic about it. When all this is new to you it is great to just wander around. There is fascinating history to learn and the city has got nice squares with some good shops. Lovely to sit in a café in warm temperatures.

Limburg!!! I am excited as it is the first time that I have read about a company offering this. I mentioned the town - not sure - three years ago as a place that a company may consider as it is interesting, just a bit far away for a short excursion. I like Limburg, the Cathedral is lovely to look at. The town is still nicely Medieval (not wow Medieval but really nice) and if there is no such other place offered on the cruise a good place to go to. I like it also for the ride, the scenery is hilly with much forest. Not sure if there is enough time to go up the Lahn in the coach for a bit, they may take you mostly over the hill autobahn. Limburg is on the Lahn river but going along the undulating valley road would take quite a bit of time. This is quite a nice private video which gives you an idea of what to expect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Qh6OzewZQ

I like your schedule, in spring and summer this sounds very doable. Castle or Medieval town? Difficult to decide but Limburg is a unique excursion (I believe) so on Marksburg Castle you will be among foreign tourists most likely while Limburg is a bit more off the beaten track for foreigners.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The Viking Tialfi is at her usual dock in Koblenz and I am sure the passengers enjoyed the snow-covered hills of the Rhine Gorge this afternoon and the lovely sunset. I did not see the hills but very much enjoyed the sunset.

I did a bit of online ship spotting and found the Viking Tialfi at this time stamp approaching Bingen and Rüdesheim:

image.thumb.png.36658279bfe436a50f47c1b1ebe2effa.png

The jetties are part of Bingen harbour, Rüdesheim is on the other bank of the river. This itinerary does not have a port stop at Rüdesheim and the ship sailed straight into the Rhine Gorge. Ten minutes later, approaching Mouse Tower:

image.thumb.png.9f4e3aed57a62871e17619c3c04ab9af.png

That is the entrance to the Rhine Gorge.

The Viking Tialfi was caught on camera just after sunset when she arrived at Koblenz and her captain turned her to dock:

KoblenzVikingTialfi03300_65a94efd-8831Vid.thumb.jpg.2df565385d434585b45ca5b70bc81cdb.jpg

It will get warmer soon so just a couple more days to enjoy the snow in the valley.

notamermaid

• Like 3

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That worked well. I am steady on my feet and still nimble but it is good to have those thick soles,

I agree about having the correct foot ware. I live on a small horse farm, and it was -11c when I went to the barn this morning.  About a week ago, we had 46cm of snow and had another 7cm yesterday. We are used to the cold and snow. 
I am unsure of what Viking has planned for Koblenz since nothing is listed in shore excursions. We are not doing some of the excursions such as Heidelburg since we have stayed there, and I have little desire to sit on a bus. Our goal is to relax and enjoy. 
Yours, Claudia     

27 minutes ago, Novakc said:

I agree about having the correct foot ware. I live on a small horse farm, and it was -11c when I went to the barn this morning.  About a week ago, we had 46cm of snow and had another 7cm yesterday.

Well equipped for our winters then. :classic_smile: Just minus four here at night (colder in the high hills) and the snow with me is about 12 centimetres high.

notamermaid

50 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

This was just referring to going up to Ehrenbreitstein in winter. It is dark by 5.30pm now, so with the cold and the darkness I do not find it an attractive place to be.

Ah, yes of course. Thanks for clarifying.

We've been to Europe several times so we do have some experience with castles - although not Marksburg. We will probably stay with our original plan and go to Limburg and then to the fortress after we return.

This is the description of the excursion;

Medieval Limburg: From Koblenz, travel by coach to the charming medieval town of Limburg an der Lahn. Here you will have the chance to walk the historic cobblestone streets lined with perfectly preserved half-timbered houses. Make your way up to the Cathedral that overlooks the city as well as the Alte Lahnbrucke, the Old Bridge that straddles the Lahn river.

It's not actually clear if you are accompanied by a guide - but we are fine with self-guided if that's what it is. I'm not sure which route they will take, but hopefully less than an hour each way - which we can cope with.

We actually fly into Frankfurt - but are being met at the airport and being taken to Mainz which looks much nicer than central Frankfurt (no offence intended). We stay overnight in Mainz then go by train to Amsterdam (for reasons I can't explain Emirates flights to Frankfurt were much less than anything we could find for Amsterdam - and we get to spend the afternoon and evening in the lovely town of Mainz, so it's a good option for us).

Kind regards 

15 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

We've been to Europe several times so we do have some experience with castles - although not Marksburg. We will probably stay with our original plan and go to Limburg and then to the fortress after we return.

Ah, yes. Then Limburg will most likely please you more than Marksburg. I think it is about 50 minutes one way in a coach. Probably a bit over an hour if you go along a few Lahn river bends along the way.

Mainz  Lovely! A good alternative to Frankfurt. And the overall more attractive city in my opinion.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you know if the Viking ships are able to dock near town in Cologne right now? Summer of 2022 we had to dock in the Viking shipyard (low river level) & they bussed us into town. We are to meet a friend in town so I was just wondering about needing transportation or being able to walk. Thanks

6 hours ago, JD Lake Life said:

Do you know if the Viking ships are able to dock near town in Cologne right now? Summer of 2022 we had to dock in the Viking shipyard (low river level) & they bussed us into town. We are to meet a friend in town so I was just wondering about needing transportation or being able to walk. Thanks

If you wind up in WInterhaven (we were there due to high water), you can walk (a little over an hour to Dom), Uber, or about a 10 minute walk from the industrial gate is a tram stop.  Tram 18 will drop you right next to Dom.  Tram was really easy to figure out.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JD Lake Life said:

Do you know if the Viking ships are able to dock near town in Cologne right now?

I cannot know that for sure. But I can say that with few ships sailing and the river being at a good level, Viking is very likely to be able to dock near the Cathedral.

You can check where the Viking Tialfi is today: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:7.1/centery:51.0/zoom:11

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I cannot know that for sure. But I can say that with few ships sailing and the river being at a good level, Viking is very likely to be able to dock near the Cathedral.

You can check where the Viking Tialfi is today: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:7.1/centery:51.0/zoom:11

notamermaid

The link is awesome. I never would have found it. It looks like our boat is in Cologne now & docked very near the Cathedral. Thank you so much!

18 minutes ago, JD Lake Life said:

The link is awesome. I never would have found it. It looks like our boat is in Cologne now & docked very near the Cathedral. Thank you so much!

Good. Where the cluster of Viking ships appears with blue dots is the winter harbour that ural guy mentioned. So you were also in Niehl during your particular cruise. I see that the Tialfi is indeed near the Dom.

Welcome to Cruisecritic. Missed that it was your first post.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

The level at Maxau has jumped, the gauge now shows 679cm. 650cm denotes official flooding. It is unlikely to reach 700cm. Which is good news for the Middle Rhine valley.

notamermaid

As expected, the level at Maxau has stayed under 700cm. The next seven days will see ups and downs but no real problems. The Middle Rhine valley will likely go to navigational flood mark I but that is usually nothing to worry about. A few problems may arise with landing stages not being accessible but with so few river cruise ships on the river I do not see this as a big deal.

One more day of snow and then I think we will see it disappear soon in the valley.

The closure of the lock at Iffezheim has actually not been the first problem for commercial traffic this year. Last week a barge attachment, a lighter, drifted off after ropes had snapped and the river had to be closed to traffic for safety reasons for several hours. It happened near Karlsruhe. A few days ago another accident happened in the area but I did not read of a river traffic ban.

notamermaid

So where are all the ships right now, apart from the Viking ships in NIehl, which we I have mentioned already? There are standard harbours and harbours away from the city centres, like the industrial one in Niehl which is a winter harbour but also a working commercial harbour. Compared to commercial traffic, remember that river cruising makes up a small portion of river traffic on the Rhine. But the river cruise ships all need a place to stay in winter and for that they are sailed to various locations along the Rhine and Waal. The Waal is the more important arm of the Rhine in the Netherlands.

One harbour made it into the local headlines the other day as it is rarely used but appears to have attracted a couple more ships this winter. I cannot say any more as the article is behind a "give me your data" wall. It is Neuss near Düsseldorf. Which reminds me - the Avalon Imagery II which passed the Viking Alruna in Cologne (see screenshot above) was of course on her way to the winter harbour. She joined other Avalonwaterways ships and a few others in Dodewaard in the Netherlands:

image.png.87991fd0b578570343ab1ee235e9ede7.png

Other harbours are Strasbourg for CroisiEurope where the company is based, Duisburg and Arnhem.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Other harbours are Strasbourg for CroisiEurope where the company is based, Duisburg and Arnhem.

Just for kicks, I just took a quick look at the current locations of the Scenic ships. A couple of them are in Arnhem (one of the locations mentioned above), but the bulk are in Budapest! Wasn't expecting that...

Linz is another large harbour on the Danube. I had expected to see a few ships on the Lower Main. But I can spot no large river cruise ships at Frankfurt Osthafen, Offenbach or Hanau.

notamermaid