My Getaway Experience

I am on the Getaway right now, returning to NYC from a 5 day cruise to Bermuda 1/12/24-1/17/24   I posted my experience on how I got to Pier 88 in another thread. I flew into Newark Airport where I picked up the Newark Airport Express to Port Authority, NYC (also stops at Grand Central and Bryant Park) $9 for a senior fare.  Great deal.  From 42nd street I made my way to the Hi Hostel in the Upper West Side where I stayed for 2 nights. On 1/12 I made my way to Pier 88. Embarkation was very easy in the terminal and the line moved fairly quickly. I was very pleased. However, when "general boarding" was called and I got on the ship I realized that the people who were allowed to board earlier were already on their 3rd round of drinks (so it seemed) and were camped in the Garden Cafe (waiting for their statesroom to be ready?)   There was no where else for them to go because this ship does not have the Observation Lounge that the other NCL ships I've been on have (Joy, Encore and soon Bliss) So there I was juggling plates of food (almost spilled hot coffee on the head of a child shorter than my elbows) while all these people were not leaving the tables in the Garden Cafe.  The crew did try to find spots for people they could see struggling. Advice:  passing by one of the main dining rooms I heard "we have a 45 minute wait at the current time". Next time I would go directly to one of the dining rooms and reserve a spot because it would have been quicker than trying to eat in the Garden Cafe on embarkation day. Once I got some food in my belly I was in a better mood  A crew member found me a spot at a table with another passenger and we had a great conversation. Statesrooms were soon ready.  My first impression was that there is not a lot to do on the Getaway other than eat, drink or hang out in the Atrium but I soon discovered various activities to pass my time. I decided to get the expanded wifi package and also put the drinks gratuities back on my booking because I needed a drink after that Garden Cafe experience.  Starting the night of embarkation and all the next day (the sea day down) seas were very rough. Not surprising with all the storm activity up and down the East Coast.  I dont know how rough because I dont have much experience with rough seas but I think plenty of people were in their statesroom and I noticed the barf bags had appeared at the elevator banks.  I had signed up for the entertainment and saw Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet.  Both were excellent, especially the 2nd.  I have a gripe about people who have no idea what "theater etiquette" involves but wont go into that now. I thought the performs in the quartet were as good as the original artists (Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis)   And if you sign up for this show, do not run out when you think its over. The finale is as good as the actual show!  Unless flashing lights bother you.    I didnt bother with any of the specialty restaurants as I am traveling alone this time. I am not a foodie so the main dining rooms included in my fare are more than adequate. First day in Bermuda was rainy and somewhat humid but today was lovely and the pool deck came alive and people went from hoodies to their cruisewear.  We are now on our return, with last sea day tomorrow and so far seas are very calm.  I have a studio cabin but have decided I actually prefer a solo inside. There isnt a lot of storage space in this studio and because the bathroom facilities are in 3 locations it makes for a lot of messy clutter (unlike having one room with a large vanity and a door)  The studio area is very modern and quiet. the lounge is very nice but I have seen only 1 person in it on two occasions. No sign of an attendant or meetings. There were refreshments available including a bar but I never saw a bartender.   I have another studio booked on the Bliss to Alaska the end of April but I think after that I will stick with the new category, solo inside. (or possibly solo balcony)  What started out as a slight disappointment has turned into a very nice cruise (rough seas dont bother me) However, I think I prefer ships like the Joy and Encore (and probably Bliss) Not having that wonderful Observation Lounge is a big minus.  Even half of one (the Joy) would be better. The Atrium has been packed and there just arent a lot of places to hang out if you cant go out on deck, other than the bars.   I will report back with disembarkation after experiencing it. I have reserved an NCL transfer from the pier to Newark airport for $37.50

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I am on the Getaway right now, returning to NYC from a 5 day cruise to Bermuda 1/12/24-1/17/24   I posted my experience on how I got to Pier 88 in another thread. I flew into Newark Airport where I picked up the Newark Airport Express to Port Authority, NYC (also stops at Grand Central and Bryant Park) $9 for a senior fare.  Great deal.  From 42nd street I made my way to the Hi Hostel in the Upper West Side where I stayed for 2 nights. On 1/12 I made my way to Pier 88. Embarkation was very easy in the terminal and the line moved fairly quickly. I was very pleased. However, when "general boarding" was called and I got on the ship I realized that the people who were allowed to board earlier were already on their 3rd round of drinks (so it seemed) and were camped in the Garden Cafe (waiting for their statesroom to be ready?)   There was no where else for them to go because this ship does not have the Observation Lounge that the other NCL ships I've been on have (Joy, Encore and soon Bliss) So there I was juggling plates of food (almost spilled hot coffee on the head of a child shorter than my elbows) while all these people were not leaving the tables in the Garden Cafe.  The crew did try to find spots for people they could see struggling. Advice:  passing by one of the main dining rooms I heard "we have a 45 minute wait at the current time". Next time I would go directly to one of the dining rooms and reserve a spot because it would have been quicker than trying to eat in the Garden Cafe on embarkation day. Once I got some food in my belly I was in a better mood  A crew member found me a spot at a table with another passenger and we had a great conversation. Statesrooms were soon ready.  My first impression was that there is not a lot to do on the Getaway other than eat, drink or hang out in the Atrium but I soon discovered various activities to pass my time. I decided to get the expanded wifi package and also put the drinks gratuities back on my booking because I needed a drink after that Garden Cafe experience.  Starting the night of embarkation and all the next day (the sea day down) seas were very rough. Not surprising with all the storm activity up and down the East Coast.  I dont know how rough because I dont have much experience with rough seas but I think plenty of people were in their statesroom and I noticed the barf bags had appeared at the elevator banks.  I had signed up for the entertainment and saw Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet.  Both were excellent, especially the 2nd.  I have a gripe about people who have no idea what "theater etiquette" involves but wont go into that now. I thought the performs in the quartet were as good as the original artists (Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis)   And if you sign up for this show, do not run out when you think its over. The finale is as good as the actual show!  Unless flashing lights bother you.    I didnt bother with any of the specialty restaurants as I am traveling alone this time. I am not a foodie so the main dining rooms included in my fare are more than adequate. First day in Bermuda was rainy and somewhat humid but today was lovely and the pool deck came alive and people went from hoodies to their cruisewear.  We are now on our return, with last sea day tomorrow and so far seas are very calm.  I have a studio cabin but have decided I actually prefer a solo inside. There isnt a lot of storage space in this studio and because the bathroom facilities are in 3 locations it makes for a lot of messy clutter (unlike having one room with a large vanity and a door)  The studio area is very modern and quiet. the lounge is very nice but I have seen only 1 person in it on two occasions. No sign of an attendant or meetings. There were refreshments available including a bar but I never saw a bartender.   I have another studio booked on the Bliss to Alaska the end of April but I think after that I will stick with the new category, solo inside. (or possibly solo balcony)  What started out as a slight disappointment has turned into a very nice cruise (rough seas dont bother me) However, I think I prefer ships like the Joy and Encore (and probably Bliss) Not having that wonderful Observation Lounge is a big minus.  Even half of one (the Joy) would be better. The Atrium has been packed and there just arent a lot of places to hang out if you cant go out on deck, other than the bars.   I will report back with disembarkation after experiencing it. I have reserved an NCL transfer from the pier to Newark airport for $37.50

we'll be passing each other on Wednesday. :)  I'm doing the 10 day cruise after you

Interesting.  In 10 NCL cruises, typically arriving between 12:00 and 1:00, I have never seen the open MDR more than half full and I have always been seated immediately.  As for what to do, I am never without my Kindle.

7 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Interesting.  In 10 NCL cruises, typically arriving between 12:00 and 1:00, I have never seen the open MDR more than half full and I have always been seated immediately.  As for what to do, I am never without my Kindle.

The ship was packed.  I waited on the Guest Services line to add my drink gratuities (needing a drink at that point) and noticed a sign "no staterooms available".  Not sure why there was a 45 minute wait. But next time I get on a ship I will go straight to the main dining room and see what the situation is. I've done the Garden Cafe on embarkation day twice now. This time was terrible.  Just too many people with not enough places to wait, or at least people not being familiar with the ship yet and not wanting to explore.  Most people are very hungry by that time and the choices are mind boggling

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Aww, I'm envious.  Where are you headed? 

we are headed to Bermuda for our first stop, then to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Dominican republic 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

we are headed to Bermuda for our first stop, then to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Dominican republic 

Oh, nice.  It was very rough seas going down and now rain going back up but not a huge surprise for the East Coast in January.   Maybe you'll have better weather going up and down but even if you dont, in between should make up for it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

... was very rough seas going down and now rain going back up but not a huge surprise for the East Coast in January.   Maybe you'll have better weather going up and down but even if you don't, in between should make up for it.

Thanks for this limited semi update en route back ... isn't 5 days too short ??  Regardless, cruising always bring joy & happiness, safe & healthy travel going home no matter where & how.  Looking at GA's live shipcam, sea state & waves definitely better than going there, small white caps & perhaps what's consider med to large caps, nothing too bad for these routine winter Bermuda crossings.   

16 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Thanks for this limited semi update en route back ... isn't 5 days too short ??  Regardless, cruising always bring joy & happiness, safe & healthy travel going home no matter where & how.  Looking at GA's live shipcam, sea state & waves definitely better than going there, small white caps & perhaps what's consider med to large caps, nothing too bad for these routine winter Bermuda crossings.   

Yes, 5 days are too short!  My first cruise on the Joy was 5 days and I noticed a big difference with my next cruise on the Encore for 7 days. What I would really like is a transoceanic (either one) with a week of sea days. I had one booked but then my sister in law wanted to go to Alaska at the same time so I cancelled and booked with her. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I waited on the Guest Services line to add my drink gratuities (needing a drink at that point) and noticed a sign "no staterooms available". 

the "no staterooms available" or "no upgrades available" sign is almost always on display on day 1 of every cruise. yes, most cruises are sold out these days, more or less. but the real reason is that many people think they can upgrade on the spot or talk the guest services folks into a different or better room based on some minor inconvenience they experienced. the sign, NCL's theory goes, discourages people from asking for a change of rooms or an upgrade. (spoiler alert: it doesn't.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the "no staterooms available" or "no upgrades available" sign is almost always on display on day 1 of every cruise. yes, most cruises are sold out these days, more or less. but the real reason is that many people think they can upgrade on the spot or talk the guest services folks into a different or better room based on some minor inconvenience they experienced. the sign, NCL's theory goes, discourages people from asking for a change of rooms or an upgrade. (spoiler alert: it doesn't.)

ok, got it   I havent reached that stage yet where I want to upgrade. Of the 4 cruises I've been on in modern history (only one has been a transatlantic) I've been 100% satisifed with the cabin I've booked.  Well, I'll say maybe 95 % with this current "studio"   things are spread out all over- "closets" in two different areas, toilet, shower and sink in different spots in the cabin.  Its okay but I think I would prefer a solo inside at this point.  I have a studio again for my next cruise and will come to a final conclusion. On the Getaway I like that the Studio section is very close to the Forward Lobby ( as long as you remember to go that lobby and not the Aft Lobby)  I guess some solo travelers like the added security but that's not important to me. I've never had a cabin on the main corridor so not much traffic going past.

6 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

My family is doing almost this exact itinerary in April (Tortola vs. St. Thomas). We've sailed Getaway before and really like her. We always enjoy Spice H2O but will have Vibe for this trip. I'd be ever so grateful for entertainment info.  Especially want to know if Broadway Unplugged is still being offered. I really enjoyed that last trip.  

Have a wonderful time! Hope you'll post some of your experiences.

• Like 1

Anytime someone complains about theater etiquette, I like to post this PSA from a drag queen.  She hits the nail on the head.   When you walk out during a performance is rude.  These people practiced so hard for you and performed.  Why be rude.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Anytime someone complains about theater etiquette, I like to post this PSA from a drag queen.  She hits the nail on the head.   When you walk out during a performance is rude.  These people practiced so hard for you and performed.  Why be rude.

Call me rude, but I'm not wasting my time watching a show that I dislike. 

I don’t believe it is rude when you leave a theatre (for whatever reason) as quietly as possible with minimal disruption to the performance and to other attendees.

• Thanks 1

Manners are not taught today.  Its fine people don't view it as wrong and that is their belief.  Its because they were never taught its wrong.  If you dont like a show, dont attend.  Walking out is total disrespect to the performers who have trained for months and work every night to perform for you.  As I mentioned before manners are no longer taught which is why society is breaking down. 

I also got off the Getaway this morning.  I stayed in one of the studios and didn’t mind the layout of the facilities.  For 5 days there was more than enough storage for me.  I was in the studio lounge a number of times and sometimes there was nobody else there, sometimes there were a couple of people and at times there were 8 of us in there talking.  The bartender was there between 5-7pm but I only caught home once.  The daily solo meetings were held in Bliss lounge at 5pm each day.  People generally made dinner plans then.  The first night one woman said she had reserved a table for 4 at Ocean Blue so three of us went with her and used our one Free At Sea dining credit.  Another night that same woman, who is Platinum, offered me a free meal at Cagney’s because she had multiple vouchers good for two people.  The other nights groups of us would go to the MDR.  The solo coordinator would get a head count, go to the MDR and then we were all ushered in ahead of people on line.

I go on board right before noon on Wednesday and immediately went to O’Sheehans for lunch.  No wait for a table and they sat another solo at the table next to mine so we talked through the meal,  I avoided the buffet until this morning when I decided I’d get breakfast before disembarking.  I finally spotted an empty table that had dirty dishes on it, which I pushed aside.  Disembarkation was pretty fast.

I liked Burn The Floor and really liked Million Dollar Quartet.  Saw some comedians that were okay, not great.  I’ve seen better Howl at the Moon performers but the ones on the Getaway were okay. 

I liked my first solo cruise so much that I decided to book The Joy for May when I got home.  They don’t have studios but I got a solo inside.  I will miss the studio lounge.

• Like 1

I have no issue with people leaving a show; it's when they don't wait until a musical number is finished and use the applause time to leave BETWEEN numbers.  That's a simple consideration to both the performers and the other folks who ARE enjoying the show.

No song is so long that someone can't wait 3-4 minutes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Manners are not taught today.  Its fine people don't view it as wrong and that is their belief.  Its because they were never taught its wrong.  If you dont like a show, dont attend.  Walking out is total disrespect to the performers who have trained for months and work every night to perform for you.  As I mentioned before manners are no longer taught which is why society is breaking down. 

Your values are not my values. I find it interesting that @FLAHAMsaid the same thing as I did. I'm a Millennial and am pretty dang sure FLAHAM is much closer to Boomer than I. Sincere apologies to you FLAHAM if I misjudged. 

You really should be more polite on these forums and not use value judgments about people you don't know. It's basic manners, after all. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Your values are not my values. I find it interesting that @FLAHAMsaid the same thing as I did. I'm a Millennial and am pretty dang sure FLAHAM is much closer to Boomer than I. Sincere apologies to you FLAHAM if I misjudged. 

You really should be more polite on these forums and not use value judgments about people you don't know. It's basic manners, after all. 

I am not rude to anyone.  I actually agree with you 100%.  Yet you try and demonize me for agreeing with you?   Manners are more than generational.  They are cultural too.  There was a huge disproportionate amount of first class British citizens that died on the Titanic who refused to push and shove to get on a lifeboat.  Even though their first class ticket "entitled" them to jump the line, their cultural manners made them refuse to partake in the pushing and shoving.  Crazy to think about, right?  I was in Argentina once for Christmas eve.  Their culture blows up fireworks all night into dawn.  I asked my in-laws when does Santa come since everyone is up all night drinking and setting off fireworks?  Where I come from people would call the police if you were setting off fireworks in the early morning hours of Christmas eve.  Thats rude to keep other people awake when people traditionally go to bed early on Xmas eve to let Santa do his magic.   But that is my upbringing and manners.  Every culture and generation is different.  I live in Miami which is so culturally diverse.  Everyone on my block is from somewhere else.  I got new neighbors and went over to introduce myself and welcome to the neighborhood.  They looked at me like I had 2 heads.  It was something they never experienced before.  We all have different upbringings and cultures that make us who we are.  We all must respect each other.  I think Millennials actually get a bad rap for the most part.  I actually don't care for Broadway shows and the singing is annoying to me.  But if I go, I am respectful to everyone including the performers.  To walk out and show their back is a sign of disrespect.  You can disagree and I respect your opinion.  I also think its rude when I see families bring 3 year olds to Broadway shows on ships.  A 3 year old cannot sit patient during a 2 hour show.  So he or she jumps up and down, yells and cries and distracts everyone from the show.  Where I come from that's rude.  People that talk constantly in movie theaters with their friends is rude.  But I understand that movies are now social events.  Many Millennials may not have the patience to sit through a Broadway show at all.  The issue that many have with Millennials is that they are stereotyped to being entitled and were never told NO as a child.   No one can force you to see a show.  But if you don't have the interest or patience to sit through one, it is disrespectful to the performers.  You are free to disagree with me.  I was never rude to you  and NONE of my comments were even directed to you.  I was expressing my opinion and cultural upbringing.  You are the one that replied to me.  All we can do is agree to disagree. ☺️

18 hours ago, david_sobe said:

If you dont like a show, dont attend.  

Um...how do you know if you like a show (or not) if you don't attend? Wouldn't you have to attend a show to see if you like that show?

Edited by schmoopie17