Port fees for Panama

A quick Google with “why are Panama Canal fees so high” produced this:

Crossing the Panama Canal can be expensive due to a variety of factors. The main reasons for the high cost include the significant infrastructure and maintenance required to operate the canal, including locks, dredging, and ongoing improvements

13 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

I was all set t book, then looked at port fees, 1900 dollars. Why so high

Panama Canal toll......it opened in 1914....one would think that it would be somewhat paid off by now, but we all know better....Government owns it.....$$$$$. 

It's quite impressive to go thru it....Quite an engineering feet and an operation......But once is enough for us....I'd rather cruise around it/avoid it now that I've got the time!

18 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

In addition to what @Gunther1 mentioned, Cruise Ships pay extra for a guaranteed time slot during daylight hours to provide the best experience for their guests.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Panama Canal toll......it opened in 1914....one would think that it would be somewhat paid off by now, but we all know better....Government owns it.....$$$$$. 

It's quite impressive to go thru it....Quite an engineering feet and an operation......But once is enough for us....I'd rather cruise around it/avoid it now that I've got the time!

There is now a second canal that was opened in 2016.  That didn’t come cheap, I am sure.  

Also, I can only imagine the fees associated with what I mentioned earlier.  

9 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

There is now a second canal that was opened in 2016.  That didn’t come cheap, I am sure.  

Also, I can only imagine the fees associated with what I mentioned earlier.  

I think I've read on here that the new canal has an even higher toll?

.....Every time I've been thru on Holland, it's always been a tight squeeze (w/a few scrapes to clean up in Aruba last year/Oosterdam)  thru the original/old canal......Glad HAL isn't using that newer, more $$$ canal!

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I think I've read on here that the new canal has an even higher toll?

.....Every time I've been thru on Holland, it's always been a tight squeeze (w/a few scrapes to clean up in Aruba last year/Oosterdam)  thru the original/old canal......Glad HAL isn't using that newer, more $$$ canal!

Rotterdam is using the new locks because it is too big to fit through the original ones.  Ships that can go through the original locks always do.

The new locks are a different experience I am glad to have done but the original locks are a lot more interesting.

Roy

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Is that for two or more people?  My last Panama Canal cruise in October 2022 was a 23 day cruise from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale.  The port fees were "only" $655.

image.png.2d89f184d8dc90c3caef0346c5a84885.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

wow is that just for one person for Panama only? Or perhaps for all of the ports the cruise will visit? That does seem like a lot. I’m on a 15 night Panama Canal trip coming up and it’s “only” $655 for the whole trip, I believe 9 ports

2 hours ago, kelliebiz said:

wow is that just for one person for Panama only? Or perhaps for all of the ports the cruise will visit? That does seem like a lot. I’m on a 15 night Panama Canal trip coming up and it’s “only” $655 for the whole trip, I believe 9 ports

See my post #9 above.  Same port fees for me.  OP hasn't answered yet if their figure was for more people or a much longer cruise. 

There’s never been any transparency when it comes to the cruise line’s taxes and port fees charges. Another area rife for being overcharged and since we can’t audit the books we just have to accept what we’re told is actually the correct amount. The fee that the Panama Canal charges is based upon the number of berths on the ship but is only around a couple hundred dollars per passenger. This year the canal had a lot of issues with water shortages and may have increased the rates but it still seems very high. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

7 hours ago, kelliebiz said:

I had a 12 night on the Rotterdam scheduled for February 2025 that does the partial transit and the Total fees and taxes were $625 per person.

54 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

There’s never been any transparency when it comes to the cruise line’s taxes and port fees charges. Another area rife for being overcharged and since we can’t audit the books we just have to accept what we’re told is actually the correct amount. The fee that the Panama Canal charges is based upon the number of berths on the ship but is only around a couple hundred dollars per passenger. This year the canal had a lot of issues with water shortages and may have increased the rates but it still seems very high. 

Actually, since a class action suit against NCL a couple of decades ago, what is contained in the "port fees and taxes" line is closely limited.

Secondly, the Canal no longer sets tariffs according to the number of berths on passenger ships.  They now use the "Panama Canal/Universal Measurement System" which is close to Net Tonnage for the vessel, for the "capacity" portion of the tariff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

Is that for two or more people?  My last Panama Canal cruise in October 2022 was a 23 day cruise from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale.  The port fees were "only" $655.

image.png.2d89f184d8dc90c3caef0346c5a84885.png

It was for two people

It was for two on a twelve day cruise in November. We did the nine day last yea and loved it so we were eying the twelve day one. A lot of people on board were on that one previously and they really enjoyed it. My husband was interested in it. We have the Welland canal here , not as warm. Right now I want warmth , minus 18 in sunny Hamilton

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, since a class action suit against NCL a couple of decades ago, what is contained in the "port fees and taxes" line is closely limited.

Secondly, the Canal no longer sets tariffs according to the number of berths on passenger ships.  They now use the "Panama Canal/Universal Measurement System" which is close to Net Tonnage for the vessel, for the "capacity" portion of the tariff.

Thanks for the info - always appreciate you jumping in w/industry insight.

• Like 1