Encore: Ncl replacing canceled production show with game show

fstuff1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:06 PM, graphicguy said:

Agree!

Instead of people paying $30 for a Deal Or No Deal card. Why not do something like Syd Normans in the theater. An Elton John, Elvis Presley, or an Eagles tribute? There are a number of things they can do besides TV shows!! I would love to sit in the theater and listen to some of these old Bands.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Instead of people paying $30 for a Deal Or No Deal card. Why not do something like Syd Normans in the theater. An Elton John, Elvis Presley, or an Eagles tribute? There are a number of things they can do besides TV shows!! I would love to sit in the theater and listen to some of these old Bands.

Yeah.....could do any of those things.  I'm not a game show guy myself.  But, I know I'm in the minority.  People love game shows.  I see some old YouTube vids from the 1960s showing some of the same game shows that are on TV today.  People like them.

Personally, I would rather have nothing but YES and Pink Floyd cover bands in all the theaters.  But again, I'd be in the minority.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah.....could do any of those things.  I'm not a game show guy myself.  But, I know I'm in the minority.  People love game shows.  I see some old YouTube vids from the 1960s showing some of the same game shows that are on TV today.  People like them.

Personally, I would rather have nothing but YES and Pink Floyd cover bands in all the theaters.  But again, I'd be in the minority.

Pink Floyd would be Awesome.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, eroller said:

I have to say I was beyond impressed with the transformative theater space on PRIMA and VIVA.  Very often these spaces are ill-conceived and end up being crappy show lounges and nightclubs.  Such is the case on Carnival.  Not the case on NCL's Prima Class.  I've experienced the venue in all three adaptations and it worked remarkably well.  The floor seating was cleared out for the Luis Fonsi concert after the christening and I felt like I was at a concert hall and stood for the entire concert.  Then later it transformed into a nightclub with really incredible sound and lighting including that amazing centerpiece light that drops down.  Very Studio 54.  The next day I watched Beatlejuice in a true theater setting and it was impressive.  On PRIMA they performed Noise Boys which I really enjoyed, and the theater was sort of a hybrid.  The stage jetted into the audience.   Pretty cool stuff.

The "theater in the round" is making a comeback, and as you mention we are seeing it on the new Celebrity ships as well as the new Holland America ships.  The brand new SUN PRINCESS will also feature this style theater.  The big drawback is that productions can't really have any elaborate sets, which leaves out Broadway style productions.  There is no curtain so that leaves out the possibility of backstage set changes while another performer takes the spotlight, and there is no true backstage in the same respect as a traditional theater. The backdrop for all these round stages is a large video screen.  So any backdrops have to be digitally created, and yes they can create some amazing images but it's not the same as actual sets.  They do work great for performance art with the aerialists and acrobats but honestly that style show gets old after a while, as it's generally the same thing over and over again with different music and theme.   

So I suppose there are pros and cons with both style theaters ... but I think the limitations of the theater in the round can come back and bite you especially years down the road as preferences change in regards to onboard entertainment. 

Thanks for posting this. I had the same reaction when I read the post that you quoted. I can only speak about the Viva since I haven’t been on the Prima yet. I was also impressed with the technology on the Viva and I also watched the transformation of the theater according to  each show and I went to and liked all of them.

Your post was very informative. I didn’t know that Luis Fonsi had a concert there during the inaugural cruise. If I had known that, maybe I would have booked the inaugural cruise instead of the Christmas cruise but I love my Christmas cruises 😊.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 5:16 PM, fstuff1 said:

I'm currently on Encore and they replaced kinky boots with Wheel of Fortune.

And I was told you have to pay to be a contestant. :classic_sad:

(When I was on Prima in 2022, Price is right was free to be a contestant.)

Wonder what will replace Six on both Breakaway and Bliss?

Edit:

And on some Jewel class ships, they went from 3 production shows to 2. 

What's going to replace it?

And what are the production cast assigned to do on their new off day? Or will they just be paid 1/3 less? :classic_wacko:

Great news!  Thise shows were getting old and repetitive.  The gane shows add more passenger interaction.  I am all for the change thanks NCL!

On 1/18/2024 at 6:12 AM, david_sobe said: When I was on Encore you needed reservations to get in to the theater.  It was sold out.  Remember all the people venting here they did not make pre-cruise reservations and could not get a seat on the ship?  Cruise ships will always have game shows and contests.  It’s good to have a variety of entertainment.  Will NCL go full circle and someday have all cruise line entertainment with cruise line workers putting on shows again?  Who knows.  But entertainment is one of the biggest cut backs of all cruise lines especially NCL.

When do reservations open up? We cruise on Encore 4 weeks from Sunday and it is still not showing to book Choir of Man. 

1 hour ago, vichastwins said:

When do reservations open up? We cruise on Encore 4 weeks from Sunday and it is still not showing to book Choir of Man. 

For most, they open at 21 days out.  (Higher tiers 26 days out.)

Choir of Man was awesome on our cruise earlier this month.   Enjoy😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:56 PM, eroller said:

Cost cutting has to be a balance.  You can’t just cut staple elements of a product that took years to cultivate and expect to maintain the integrity of the product (or the premium per diems for that matter). I think NCL is smarter than that.  They may not license hit broadway shows, but they are likely to produce their own elaborate productions which honestly is what most lines do, including Royal and Disney.  Royal does license a few Broadway productions but the majority of their shows, including the ice and diving shows, are all produced in-house.   I just don’t see NCL offering nothing but game shows as headliner evening entertainment.  In that case they might as well close their elaborate state of the art production facility shoreside.  Cost millions to build.  

Thanks for mentioning Royal.  Just booked our entertainment for a royal cruise - 5 different things, the diving show, ice show, 2 musicals, and comedy.  Looking forward to having entertainment most nights.  Royals musicals don't seem to be as good as NCL's version of broadway shows but at least they are an option.

Have not been to game shows.  Only once or twice to the old show based on newlyweds.  Just not interested in them compared to production style entertainment.

Hope NCL rolls out new shows - makes a difference to some of us.

• Like 3