Encore: Ncl replacing canceled production show with game show

fstuff1

I think millennials are passé now.  Businesses have moved on.  Now it’s more about Gen Z & Alpha.  Millennials are the new “old farts”.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/20/2024 at 1:54 PM, BirdTravels said:

The “contemporary cruiser” are the millennials that the cruise line is targeting to hook and sustain the business for the decades to come. Old farts like us will dump our money into the cruise lines until we are no longer physically able to cruise,,, regardless of the entertainment. 

I don't know how much you've been around millenials in your daily life. I have had them around me a lot, and I can assure you that there is very little probabilty you'd see many if any, of them as audience on a game show unless they were desperate and had nothing better to do than go there and mock it. No way will NCL hook any of them with game shows!

I doubt the people claiming to enjoy the game shows are more likely to be the parents, or maybe even grandparents of millenials. And that's why they (NCL) can get away with it: Us old farts will part with our money regardless of what's on offer.
As for the rest of your "description" I won't go into it since this topic is about entertainment. (Not that sticking to the topic seems to be particularly important at CC)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, eroller said:

I think millennials are passé now.  Businesses have moved on.  Now it’s more about Gen Z & Alpha.  Millennials are the new “old farts”.  😉

As an old fart geezer Boomer, I can't tell the difference between a Millenial and a Gen Z.

What I can tell you is they better not do away with "Choir of Man" on our fall Escape cruise.

Or I'll be an even grumpier old man...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, david_sobe said:

ICONS.  Is that a licensed contracted show from somewhere or is a NCL created show with their own performers.

Burn the Floor is also a NCL created show?  When the Breakaway class debuted is when the NCL created shows started creeping back.  I am not making a judgment against the shows but realize those shows are much less expensive than the contracted licensed shows they used to get.

ICONS is a show that features singers from the cast of Beetlejuice. IIRC there were 6 of them. Sequins and tuxedos. They performs songs from the 60s to now, mixed genres. The seats in the the theatre are pushed back some, allowing for tables and chairs to be placed on the floor, with drink service. Runs about 50 minutes and we enjoyed it. Just enough to break up the evening before moving on to something else.

And just for the record, Price is Right and Press Your Luck are both free, with the chance for the audience to win prizes. My travel companion was in the Showcase Showdown on PIR and won a TV but took the cash instead. Wheel of Fortune is free to watch and you have the option to play along using your phone for a fee but that is your choice. 

I’ve seen some great shows on NCL.  Starting with Hello Dolly & Sea Legs back in 1980 on the s/s NORWAY.  More recently Priscila, Queen of the Desert on EPIC, SIX on BLISS, and Beatlejuice on VIVA.  Really enjoyed them all. I could always count on NCL for fantastic entertainment.  Perhaps not so anymore.  I look at game shows as filler entertainment.  Not the main event.  Carnival has gone to that style entertainment as a cost cutting measure and it appears NCL is doing the same.  

Royal, Virgin, and Disney still offer amazing entertainment with Royal leading the pack.  If entertainment is your thing I’m guessing ICON is the ship for you.  It’s packed with entertainment including a full scale production of the Wizard of Oz.  Yes there are game shows too but they are secondary, which is where I feel they belong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

I don't know how much you've been around millenials in your daily life. I have had them around me a lot, and I can assure you that there is very little probabilty you'd see many if any, of them as audience on a game show unless they were desperate and had nothing better to do than go there and mock it. No way will NCL hook any of them with game shows!

I doubt the people claiming to enjoy the game shows are more likely to be the parents, or maybe even grandparents of millenials. And that's why they (NCL) can get away with it: Us old farts will part with our money regardless of what's on offer.
As for the rest of your "description" I won't go into it since this topic is about entertainment. (Not that sticking to the topic seems to be particularly important at CC)

Hmmm,,, Have you been to game shows on NCL ships? I have been to both the Price is Right and Press your Luck (the first big game shows on NCL) and paid specific attention to the demographic. 

We were also at the Price is Right Live on land recently (people paid $100/seat to attend that show). 

2 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

ICONS is a show that features singers from the cast of Beetlejuice. IIRC there were 6 of them. Sequins and tuxedos. They performs songs from the 60s to now, mixed genres. The seats in the the theatre are pushed back some, allowing for tables and chairs to be placed on the floor, with drink service. Runs about 50 minutes and we enjoyed it. Just enough to break up the evening before moving on to something else.

And just for the record, Price is Right and Press Your Luck are both free, with the chance for the audience to win prizes. My travel companion was in the Showcase Showdown on PIR and won a TV but took the cash instead. Wheel of Fortune is free to watch and you have the option to play along using your phone for a fee but that is your choice. 

Thanks for clearing that up.  They are not cruise line workers. So the performers are doing double duty from the main show.

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

So the performers are doing double duty from the main show.

this is quite common on every ship. performers in "footloose" on the joy were also in "elements " and the ship's "broadway cabaret" (or whatever they called it.)

two or more of the cast of "donna" on the prima are the "models" who display the prizes in "the price is right."

and so on.

Just came off The Jade and there was a game show (I think) every evening

Price is Right

Newlywed

Battle of the sexes

Deal or no deal (fees applied)

Shows were Elements, Blazing Boots and Acrobats. 

As I look back, it does seem there was more of an emphasis towards the game shows. 

"newlywed," "battle of sexes" and the current cruise ship version of "deal or no deal" are old school low-tech game shows, the kind that used to be done exclusively in the atrium, hosted by either the cruise director or a member of staff. lately, some of these have been upgraded to the theatre...

but they're not highly produced slick game shows like "price" or "wheel." that is the direction that NCL is headed. whether or not they will continue the others is anybody's guess... something like "deal," for which there is a revenue component... i'd say - emphatically - yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

who really uses "shows" a criteria for booking a cruise?

We do Caribbean cruises as true rest and relaxation events - in other words we aren't doing them for the ports and the ports almost don't matter.  The ship's entertainment (including but not limited to the shows) is part of our criteria for choosing a line.  NCL used to have the upper hand, not so much anymore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, complawyer said:

who really uses "shows" a criteria for booking a cruise?

Apparently many, or lines like Royal Caribbean wouldn’t spend millions producing Broadway productions, ice skating shows, and building aqua theaters on ships to host amazing diving/water shows.  Seems to be paying off based on their per diems and the fact the shows get more elaborate with each new ship.  Now they have even added drones into many of their shows.  They keep raising the bar.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, eroller said:

Apparently many, or lines like Royal Caribbean wouldn’t spend millions producing Broadway productions, ice skating shows, and building aqua theaters on ships to host amazing diving/water shows.  Seems to be paying off based on their per diems and the fact the shows get more elaborate with each new ship.  Now they have even added drones into many of their shows.  They keep raising the bar.  

Agreed.  We were on Oasis last summer, first time on RCCL in five(?) years.  It was an eye opener and when combined with the cuts were hearing and seeing in NCL entertainment, NCL no longer has that upper hand they used to in our minds.

• Like 1

patrlr & eroller, ok, i stand corrected. but personally, what shows are on board dont even factor in to my decision

we were on a b2b last july - aug, 19 days, and i think i sat through 1 show, and walked out on another.

i do give props to the singers and dancers however, for the energy they display in learning new songs/routines on an almost daily basis.

some shows, however, seem to be wanna be's  "america's got talent"

8 minutes ago, complawyer said:

patrlr & eroller, ok, i stand corrected. but personally, what shows are on board dont even factor in to my decision

we were on a b2b last july - aug, 19 days, and i think i sat through 1 show, and walked out on another.

i do give props to the singers and dancers however, for the energy they display in learning new songs/routines on an almost daily basis.

some shows, however, seem to be wanna be's  "america's got talent"

I concede that not everyone that books cruises cares about entertainment.  No doubt many don’t.  It’s just one aspect of the overall experience.  I also agree much of it is not great (varies by line and ship).  But I do think most people booking large, state of the art mass-market ships expect some level of entertainment.  Live music, comedians, singers, and yes production shows.  I’m just not sure game shows make the cut, but time will tell.  I think they are great as filler entertainment on off nights or in the afternoon, but as the main entertainment event of the cruise it seems very weak to me.  

• Like 1

Do they still have "The Perfect Couple" Game?  That can really be funny along with the newly wed game.  I always thought NCL was so cheap with giving the winners a $7 bottle of sparkling wine.  The couples provided entertainment for your cruise line. At least you can treat them to Cagneys or something.   I've seen them hand out key chains too.  I know I know, no one is forcing them to do it but I think they deserved more than a key chain 😂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Do they still have "The Perfect Couple" Game?  That can really be funny along with the newly wed game.  I always thought NCL was so cheap with giving the winners a $7 bottle of sparkling wine.  The couples provided entertainment for your cruise line. At least you can treat them to Cagneys or something.   I've seen them hand out key chains too.  I know I know, no one is forcing them to do it but I think they deserved more than a key chain 😂

We did Newlywed on RCCL long time ago as we were just married.  Don't recall getting anything.

First and last RCCL due to numerous reasons.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:01 AM, eroller said:

Also NCL's new theaters seem to very traditional with be lower tech and lower technology.  The new Celebrity ship and along with RCCL's new theaters are so high tech with audiences that surround the stage. I know the Prima class has removable seats that turn it into a nightclub.  I am talking about the theatrics and tech of the stage area.  Other lines have completely changed their main stage with the highest technology. 

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 8:29 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Haha you're welcome! I know my postings on here make me appear to be ignorant about the English language, but I assure you that is primarily a Cruise Critic thing. I just don't always (or ever) proofread. Spelling though! Way back in 5th grade I made it to the regional spelling bee. Oh, if only kids knew the accolades end when they grow up.

OMG - the 5th grade Bee!  Is it too off topic to discussed missed words?  And the trauma it can cause?

On 1/18/2024 at 1:55 PM, graphicguy said:

I don't know about the costs associated with the Broadway type shows vs game shows.

Can't speak for NCL but on Cunard they cost millions of dollars to put a show on which is way they last for years.

• Like 1