LIVE 💎 Jewel 💎 of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 1/20/24

I was perusing through the onboard account & noticed just posted some credits for port/air taxes.  I imagine this means we will be missing a port.  No announcement yet.  I have an excursion for St Lucia and no refund for that.  so maybe Tobago tomorrow?  Not sure why else there would be port tax credits posted.

6 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

This is a super rare photo SteelCity. A very small percentage of cruisers get to witness this, even those who have sailed on Radiance Cass many times.

Last March, I had a pre-booked with a fb group on a mini-bus, same size of bus as SteelCity shows you here so about 25 people I think. We paid $25 return. IIRC a taxi was $30-$40 return. Again IIRC there are not many (if any) taxis sitting around at Maracas waiting for a return trip. So you'd need to arrange and pay a driver to wait for you. There were plenty of drivers/cabs available just outside the gate all of them pleading for your business.

I did a double take in the solarium when I looked up.

Regarding the taxis, I don’t recall seeing any waiting for hire at the beach other than the pre arranged vans/buses etc. 

There are plenty available off the ship however.  

A bartender in concierge lounge is from Trinidad & said to me that he would not do anything that wasn’t arranged through the ship.  I don’t feel like it was just selling Royals brand but who knows.   🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

A bartender in concierge lounge is from Trinidad & said to me that he would not do anything that wasn’t arranged through the ship.  I don’t feel like it was just selling Royals brand but who knows.   🤷🏻‍♂️ 

We were told the same thing by a Princess employee that was from Trinidad in 2010 on the Grand. Our impression of the port shopping area was the same as yours. 

6 minutes ago, Miss Vickie said:

We’ve sailed Radiance class ships 18 times, including 8 times on Jewel and have never seen that Solarium roof open. Maybe when we’re on Jewel in February…

I knew it didn’t happen often.  Sounds like even less often than I knew!

Today we do not have an excursion booked or anything pre planned.  We will get off in the morning and explore & see how it goes.  

DW wants to do some shopping & I will follow of course as long as proper amounts of beers are included at some point 🍻  🤪

I wouldn’t mind another beach day but DW got some sunscreen in her eye yesterday & it got really irritated and swollen.  She has special eye drops and put some ice on it and was much better by bedtime.  We’ll see … 

• Like 3

Hello from twin sister Serenade.  Nice review you have going on!  🙂 

A couple of questions.   Does the circle bar in the VCL spin around?  I can't remember which ship still has that working.  And speaking of working, our pool tables do not work on the "floating/gyro"  system...either one of them since we boarded 47 days ago.  One of the 3 outbound elevators has been stuck on deck 12 since we boarded as well.  Ugh...😣

Are you using Chops for breakfast?  When we did 2 different B2Bs last year out of PC, we finally gave up with the really bad service in there.  Was very surprised how good it was in the restaurant after that.  On this ship, the Chops breakfast is the best ever.  Great food and service.  

Ehh..win some lose some.  😉  

Enjoy the rest of your cruise! 

1 hour ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

We’re making our way in.  Here’s some coastline shots 

IMG_1967.thumb.jpeg.34de620f53b3763e5d633771d012e54b.jpeg

IMG_1961.thumb.jpeg.f2771377b56092d30f1066c1e2d26a76.jpeg

IMG_1963.thumb.jpeg.1d5ec89f637bc3520d8a86c3595b803e.jpeg

Looks like a pretty island. I'm glad the OBC on your account was not for skipping this port.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

A couple of questions.   Does the circle bar in the VCL spin around?  I can't remember which ship still has that working.  And speaking of working, our pool tables do not work on the "floating/gyro"  system...either one of them since we boarded 47 days ago.  One of the 3 outbound elevators has been stuck on deck 12 since we boarded as well.  Ugh...😣

Are you using Chops for breakfast?  When we did 2 different B2Bs last year out of PC, we finally gave up with the really bad service in there.  Was very surprised how good it was in the restaurant after that.  On this ship, the Chops breakfast is the best ever.  Great food and service.  

Hard to believe that you are 47 days into the cruise already.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thank you 🙏🏻  😀  

Yours isn’t too shabby itself !  I’ve been trying to keep up but it’s hard at the moment.

I have not seen the bar spin however I haven’t been up there for any late night festivities yet.  I’ll see if I can investigate that as I’d be interested as well.

Funny you ask about Chops B-fast.  That’s where we are sitting now!  Service is great here.  Food good too.  DWs sausages links were cold & not great but otherwise eggs are all cooked perfectly.  I wanted something different so had the banana french toast.  Yummy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I was perusing through the onboard account & noticed just posted some credits for port/air taxes.  I imagine this means we will be missing a port.  No announcement yet.  I have an excursion for St Lucia and no refund for that.  so maybe Tobago tomorrow?  Not sure why else there would be port tax credits posted.

Did you get an answer on why the credits ?

16 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

We grabbed a Bake n Shark right before getting back in the bus.  It was good.  Hit the spot after a few Carib’s and a long bus ride ahead.

The sauce labeled ketchup was most definitely NOT ketchup and it SURELY was NOT Heinz!  😂  

IMG_1906.thumb.jpeg.3410b7311098061f582360cd5a2384d8.jpeg

IMG_1905.thumb.jpeg.ef2cb1ddf6ddfb48341c3b4802f79d51.jpeg

If it's not Heinz, it's not ketchup!

• Like 2

We're on this cruise the week after next. In Tobago we're thinking about just taking a cab over to Store Bay for a little beach, bar, and shopping. Kind of intimidated by the crowds (and additional distance) of Pigeon Point. Let us know how the ad hoc cab situation looks.