Zaandam, Deck 1, by the elevators

First time on HAL, looking forward to a 16 day cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii ... Zaandam, December 18 to January 3, 2025, so over the holidays!

Our room is an Ocean View, near the elevators, on Deck 1.  Not just near, but directly opposite.  1827 specifically.  Any comments about a Zaadam room in an elevator-opposite location?  

I see there are 3 elevators on the ship, so maybe this minimizes the number of people, and I suppose the noise level is related to the types of fellow passengers.

Since we're new to HAL, any general thoughts or comments about Zaandam's Deck 1, activities, food, etc., would be great.  

I’ve had several rooms directly opposite the elevators on several HAL ships and never had an issue.  the only noise I noticed was if there was a group of very rowdy people chatting by the elevator - a pretty rare occurrence on HAL - at least IME.

• Like 1

We actually had this room on a round trip Hawaii cruise years ago. Loved it! We always book near the elevators because my traveling companion has a knee replacement. Straight shot up to the crows nest!

You will notice that the elevator bank is actually inside an alcove, which provides a buffer for any excessive conversation noise. We have never ever been disturbed by anyone using the elevators on any of our cruises. I am fairly noise sensitive FWIW.

Anyone using the elevators on deck one belong there, either to get to and from their rooms or the medical center, it’s not a spot where they would just congregate naturally.

One thing I will point out though is that you may experience some motion as you are quite far forward and the crossing can encounter higher swells. We liked that too 😊

• Like 1

We were in Zaandam OV 1831.  Noise from elevators was not a problem.  We were immediately above the tender platform so would hear activity below in the early morning, but I would already be awake so it was not a problem.  The stairs are used by passengers coming and going during tendered port stops but that, generally, was not a problem either.

IMG_0995.thumb.jpeg.011c4761d26177cadb34c7205e0de76b.jpeg

The Zaandam is a beautiful ship.  I did a LIVE THREAD at that time if you want to quickly scan through for pictures and comments.  Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

We recently were moved to a cabin right by the elevators on Koningsdam when we had issues with our original one. I would never have chosen this location, but we were pleasantly surprised and weren’t bothered by noise at all. It was very quiet. You’ll be fine.

We love the Zaandam and the smaller ships. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

Also be aware that there is at least one crew-only elevator that dings fairly loudly, much more loudly than the very quiet passenger elevators. It is located just forward of the midships stairwell and elevators, on the port side. We currently are in a cabin on Zaandam just across the corridor from that elevator and clearly hear the "ding-ding". Note that that crew elevator is not close to your cabin 1827, but you should always be aware that SOMETHING unexpected might create a bit of a disturbance.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wandrr said:

Also be aware that there is at least one crew-only elevator that dings fairly loudly, much more loudly than the very quiet passenger elevators. It is located just forward of the midships stairwell and elevators, on the port side. We currently are in a cabin on Zaandam just across the corridor from that elevator and clearly hear the "ding-ding". Note that that crew elevator is not close to your cabin 1827, but you should always be aware that SOMETHING unexpected might create a bit of a disturbance.

Yep, there is always Something!

On 1/19/2024 at 8:24 AM, greenbeanie said:

First time on HAL, looking forward to a 16 day cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii ... Zaandam, December 18 to January 3, 2025, so over the holidays!

Our room is an Ocean View, near the elevators, on Deck 1.  Not just near, but directly opposite.  1827 specifically.  Any comments about a Zaadam room in an elevator-opposite location?  

I see there are 3 elevators on the ship, so maybe this minimizes the number of people, and I suppose the noise level is related to the types of fellow passengers.

Since we're new to HAL, any general thoughts or comments about Zaandam's Deck 1, activities, food, etc., would be great.  

I’m booked on that cruise. Just FYI it is round trip from San Diego. This cruise will be our first on HAL as well. I was first worried about the Zaandam being an older, smaller ship but the more I read about her, the more excited I am. However, I’m looking forward to a having a relaxing cruise and not running from one activity to another. 

Edited by bajae
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:49 AM, shipmeoff! said:

We actually had this room on a round trip Hawaii cruise years ago. Loved it! We always book near the elevators because my traveling companion has a knee replacement. Straight shot up to the crows nest!

You will notice that the elevator bank is actually inside an alcove, which provides a buffer for any excessive conversation noise. We have never ever been disturbed by anyone using the elevators on any of our cruises. I am fairly noise sensitive FWIW.

Anyone using the elevators on deck one belong there, either to get to and from their rooms or the medical center, it’s not a spot where they would just congregate naturally.

One thing I will point out though is that you may experience some motion as you are quite far forward and the crossing can encounter higher swells. We liked that too 😊

Perfect answer!  Yes, Zaandam does have the elevators that open facing each other in an alcove like area.  With 12 elevators ( 3 banks, forward, mid ship, and aft), you rarely wait for an elevator unlike on the larger ships.  Our room was 1912, and my only complaint was that it still had the old tub rather than the new shower.  Some rooms on the Zaandam were redone and we were told in 2025 that the remainder will be also.

On 1/19/2024 at 10:24 AM, greenbeanie said:

I stayed in this cabin in June on a Canada/NE cruise and unfortunately cannot recommend it. You will not experience any noise from the elevators, as others have mentioned. One thing you will encounter is a LOT of foot traffic and noise from the gangway and long line ups for the tender in front of your cabin door, as the stairs to A deck are right outside your cabin. There were several mornings where I woke up and stepped out of my room to be "greeted" (blocked) by a line of folks anxious to get off the ship. This was a last minute booking and it was one of 3 remaining cabins, which is why I chose it. I would not book it again.

I also sailed Zaandam this past Christmas and a friend of mine had cabin 1829. I shared my experiences from 1827 and she confirmed that she also encountered long lines of eager-to-disembark passengers on port days and the noise from the foot traffic. Once, while exiting her cabin in the morning, she was even told to "get to the back of the line" 😮

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2024 at 2:18 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

Perfect answer!  Yes, Zaandam does have the elevators that open facing each other in an alcove like area.  With 12 elevators ( 3 banks, forward, mid ship, and aft), you rarely wait for an elevator unlike on the larger ships.  Our room was 1912, and my only complaint was that it still had the old tub rather than the new shower.  Some rooms on the Zaandam were redone and we were told in 2025 that the remainder will be also.

Is there a list of cabins that have had the bathrooms already redone? We are looking at a Mexico sailing in March 2025 between Zaandam and Koningsdam and to be honest those peach tiles and old fashion hair dryers in the bathroom just aren’t going it for me.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Is there a list of cabins that have had the bathrooms already redone? We are looking at a Mexico sailing in March 2025 between Zaandam and Koningsdam and to be honest those peach tiles and old fashion hair dryers in the bathroom just aren’t going it for me.

It appears the deckplan is updated (!) -- the cabins with an asterisk (not the five-pointed Star) are shower only.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-ships/zaandam/7

ETA: scroll to the bottom and click ZOOM IN, then 'shop' by Forward, Mid, After. You want to choose a cabin with asterisk but NO open circle, which are triples and you could be bumped if needed for a three-person booking.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We have had cabin1824 across from the elevators on both the Amsterdam and Volendam. 5 cruises,  48-53 days each. It’s a perfect cabin with no noise from the elevators. Also quick to get to the Crows Nest or the World Stage. 

Edited by dchip
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 10:24 AM, Infi said:

I stayed in this cabin in June on a Canada/NE cruise and unfortunately cannot recommend it. You will not experience any noise from the elevators, as others have mentioned. One thing you will encounter is a LOT of foot traffic and noise from the gangway and long line ups for the tender in front of your cabin door, as the stairs to A deck are right outside your cabin. There were several mornings where I woke up and stepped out of my room to be "greeted" (blocked) by a line of folks anxious to get off the ship. This was a last minute booking and it was one of 3 remaining cabins, which is why I chose it. I would not book it again.

I also sailed Zaandam this past Christmas and a friend of mine had cabin 1829. I shared my experiences from 1827 and she confirmed that she also encountered long lines of eager-to-disembark passengers on port days and the noise from the foot traffic. Once, while exiting her cabin in the morning, she was even told to "get to the back of the line" 😮

Ohh, yes the tender lines are awful. I wanted to get back to my cabin just past the entrance to the stairs and I was told by several people, even when I said all I wanted was to get to my cabin "Sucks to be you, the end of the line is way back there."

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:12 AM, Ski Mom 2 said:

I hear you!  Not that I'm aware of, but maybe the really good reps have access to it.

• Thanks 1