Can I bring a small sewing machine?

1 hour ago, mrgabriel said:

I have not brought a sewing machine onboard but I have two friends who have sewn their way from the U.S. to Japan, and another time to Australia. Once on Celebrity, once on Azamara.

It's not actually that uncommon - at least it's not when you talk to people who sew. Pressing is an issue, of course, but that can generally be solved with a spray bottle of water. These friends have sewn quilts and clothes. 

Hair flat irons do the trick nicely.  They are allowed whereas clothes irons are not.

• Like 1

Ooh keen sewer here. I would probably buy a??$200 plastic Singer machine. Light enough to take as hand baggage, and cheap enough that damage or confiscation wouldn’t worry me. A cut down yoga mat to sit it on to dampen vibration and help hold it in place. Hair straightening iron to press out the seams. Magnetic pins and a magnet to keep control of them in the cabin. And I’d choose a cabin where the desk was by the window or balcony. 

Recently sailed on the constellation and the computer room above the library had large tables that would be perfect for cutting fabric. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@Beth and Bailey   The only issue I would see is if the sewing machine makes a big vibration that could disturb people next door or, particularly, below you. My wife's sewing machine vibrates the kitchen table, but since we are on a slab there is little resonance. It would be different on board, I think. Remember how annoyed people get under the busy areas in the buffet.

I think we now know the cause of the creaking and banging on Beyond. Darn sewing machines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tierun said:

I think we now know the cause of the creaking and banging on Beyond. Darn sewing machines.

Don't want a sewing machine next door to me in a cabin.  Trade in the sewing machine for a good novel.

Don't be surprised to find the sewing machine on the naughty tables when leaving the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, keesar said:

Don't want a sewing machine next door to me in a cabin.  Trade in the sewing machine for a good novel.

Don't be surprised to find the sewing machine on the naughty tables when leaving the ship.

Why? They are not prohibited.  

12 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Why would a sewing machine be confiscated?  They are not prohibited.

Something tells me that they will be considered prohibited and it’ll get confiscated.  My wife just had a power bar confiscated while we were in the security area and I saw the naughty items table and there were several items on it that although  seemed harmless and not on the list but there they were.

PS - if I had someone beside my cabin or in a public area running this machine, I would not be a happy cruiser

• Like 2

I sympathize with you, OP, I love to sew and quilt, and I still work for a well known chain of sewing and craft stores, even though I “officially” retired after 22 years. I do have a few concerns with this scenario, however.

First and foremost, what are the plans for getting a machine to the ship. Some have suggested using a “mini” machine, or a cheap one. I would worry about the stitch quality of some of these cheap machines, you might not be satisfied. Full size machines are not lightweight either. If you are flying, please do not check it. Having seen what could happen to a suitcase, I can only wonder how battered or misaligned  a sewing machine could get.

As far as actually sewing on the ship, there aren’t a lot of public places I can think of where you can sew undisturbed. In fact, the only place I can think of would be a conference room. I don’t know how much these are utilized, but now that I think of it, if they aren’t being booked, why don’t ships have a quiet room for crafting, especially on a TA? But that is something you would have to ask the ship personnel, preferably before you cruise.

I don’t know if a machine would be confiscated, it isn’t prohibited, and I think it might depend on the ship’s interpretation of the rules.

You can, of course, use your room. Some machines are noisier than others, it might or might not be a noise problem for your neighbors. I don’t think a machine would be a power drain.  I would precut fabrics before cruising, you just won’t have the space to lay out fabric unless you use the bed. 
Hand quilting might be a good solution here, it takes less space to bring and use. I have sometimes brought knitting, I don’t think hand work bothers anybody and you get to enjoy some of the ship’s sea day activities. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

Isn’t sewing incompatible with a quiet room?

Well, I’m a sewer, so I never notice, and I’ve trained my husband well!  But generally, sewing is noisy. I have to say it has never occurred to me to bring a sewing machine on a cruise, just way too much trouble, imo, and I want to enjoy what the ship offers. But I do understand why the OP would want to sew.

22 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

If you’d like to quilt and cruise get a hold of these people — they do many quilting cruises through the year, bringing dozens of sewing machines and organizing wonderful classes

Sorry, link didn’t make it.  Just google quilt cruise to find the companies that offer them,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Are quilting Bee's still a thing?  I remember those from many years ago and it seems it was all done by hand.  I bet there would a lot of fellow passengers who would be interested in a. good old fashioned quilting bee.   

I have been on a number of cruises where on the roll call there were both quilters and Kniters they arranged a group event and would get together daily for both events.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Isn’t sewing incompatible with a quiet room?

You are making an assumption that their is a quiet room on Edge Class ships... Even if sewing in Fine Cuts which they wouldn't do I doubt anyone would hear a thing over the noise from the Center Foyer.  

Not a put down.... just adding a bit of levity. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are making an assumption that their is a quiet room on Edge Class ships... Even if sewing in Fine Cuts which they wouldn't do I doubt anyone would hear a thing over the noise from the Center Foyer.  

Not a put down.... just adding a bit of levity. 

Actually I wasn’t assuming that. I was just responding to the post immediately prior to mine that brought up the subject of a quiet room. 

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

My point is that not all devices are dual voltage. I did switch to Soniccare because it is dual voltage. They sell hairdryers that are dual voltage but since I don’t travel with a hairdryer I bought one that was never going to leave the house because I don’t need dual voltage. It is in the vanity drawer in case a house guest need to use a hair dryer. I have a bunch of appliances that are not dual voltage. No reason for the manufacturer to make them that way. Some devices are dual voltage but to say almost all are is an overstatement. 

One thing you may enjoy with a Sonicare is the batter life.    I was recently on a B2B of 30 days and had my portable charger.    I was surprised that the battery held a charge and never had to recharge.

We lived in Ireland for 3 years and ran our house on dual voltage with  transformers.    We had many electrical devices with us that at the time weren't dual current.     After I ran 220V through a Calculator (Pop)  I learned to always read the labels. 

Couple years back I had an older Roku with us and when we got to Buenos Aires,  I found the power supply wasn't 220 compatible and had to go out to find a replacement 

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

A singer featherweight would be perfect. Issue is finding a power outlet near a window in a public area. A cord running across the floor probably not allowed

I'm going to call the line and see.  I sure don't want to sit in my cabin and sew. I don't need to iron seams. I'd just be very careful with making sure they are turned the right direction and iron at home.  Just some quilt tops only.

5 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I'm going to call the line and see.  I sure don't want to sit in my cabin and sew. I don't need to iron seams. I'd just be very careful with making sure they are turned the right direction and iron at home.  Just some quilt tops only.

As a heads up, you aren't going to get the same answer twice from the Celebrity call center reps. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

You can’t trust what they tell you one way or the other when you call.

I would guess that if you get it onboard past security and set it up in a public area it would depend on subjective judgement from crew members if the noise is distracting and also if any passengers complain whether it would be allowed. If you tell them you called and were told it was okay that won’t matter. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Why? They are not prohibited.  

Noise is an issue.  If I hear that noise during the day when I was resting, I would call Guest Services.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beth and Bailey said:

My friends who have sewn DID sew in their rooms. Granted, these were 20+ day cruises and they are people who would rather sit and sew than sit in the sun. 

1 minute ago, mrgabriel said:

My friends who have sewn DID sew in their rooms. Granted, these were 20+ day cruises and they are people who would rather sit and sew than sit in the sun. 

With sewing machines?