World Cruise on Serenity - Need Info RE: Red Sea Segment

boatbob

39 minutes ago, Dog-man said:

Carnival have announced the rerouting of twelve ships as a result of the Red Sea crisis

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-provides-update-strong-bookings

Crystal must now be the only line left that aren’t saying anything to their guests !!!

Crystal haven’t said nothing, they have said they are working on it. 
Being patient isn’t easy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are on Symphony. Only pax going as far as Mumbai. Current speculation is kicking all pax off in Mumbai and proceeding through Red Sea with crew only thus avoiding costly travel around Cape and kicking us off in Singapore and still missing a couple Med cruises. Makes a lot of sense. 
Serenity could do similar. Putting off all continuing pax in Dubai in hotels and flying them to first stop in Med. Saves a lot of costs  and aggravation. 

20 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

We are on Symphony. Only pax going as far as Mumbai. Current speculation is kicking all pax off in Mumbai and proceeding through Red Sea with crew only thus avoiding costly travel around Cape and kicking us off in Singapore and still missing a couple Med cruises. Makes a lot of sense. 
Serenity could do similar. Putting off all continuing pax in Dubai in hotels and flying them to first stop in Med. Saves a lot of costs  and aggravation. 

Is this speculation or have the ship’s staff confirmed this idea.

I hadn’t really thought about the option of Serenity doing the Red Sea without passengers.  Still significant risk to ship and crew, but certainly would save a lot of logistical hassles.   One way it could work is to disembark all pax in Mumbai, and offer them a 15 day overland/air experience from Mumbai ending in Alexandria / Cairo on the 27th as per original itinerary, and then continuing on to Istanbul on the original schedule.  Serenity would only miss 3 ports: Salalah, Safari and Hurghada none of which seems like major provisioning ports.  There would be time on the overland to see some Indian sites such as Taj Mahal or tigers, then fly to Egypt with time to see some sites there, perhaps even Luxor.   The cruise/tour package could also be offered to those boarding in Mumbai who might already have flights.

There are a couple of issues I see with this however:

-  Still significant risk to crew and ship.  Would insurers go for it?   

-  15 day overland with air for 100+ pax, might be a lot to plan at this point, but certainly A&K has some depth here.

-  Would world cruisers be able to leave personal property on board, or pack up completely?   If personal items are left on board, Crystal would probably need additional insurance to cover loss.  If required to pack up completely, might be a logistical nightmare for the overland travel, and would certainly complicate the day in Alexandria with additional luggage handling.

-  Some world cruisers explicitly take the WC because they can’t/won’t fly in airplanes.    Not sure how you work around that.

Anyway, interesting thought experiment.

Edited by kingfoot
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think it has to be as elaborate or complicated as Kingfoot suggests. Just deposit world cruisers in Dubai at Burj for a week then charter flight to Port Said. What a great adventure!?!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I don’t think it has to be as elaborate or complicated as Kingfoot suggests. Just deposit world cruisers in Dubai at Burj for a week then charter flight to Port Said. What a great adventure!?!

I would say that money is tight at Crystal and while this would be a nice gesture it would cost them more than they are making on those world cruisers, and the loss of revenue from segment goers on that leg.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Much as I would love to have my friends who are currently onboard Serenity for the World Cruise stay over in Dubai for a week or more while the ship transits the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea without them, I think there is zero chance of that happening!!   I suspect they are more likely to get an unplanned visit to Cape Town than to Dubai...🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cost?  Just figure the cost of fuel to send the ship dead heading g around Africa for 40 days at 15 knots. I know hotels are expensive in Dubai, but….  And I doubt there will be many pax Mumbai to Athens. And around Africa they lose all yhd revenue from a couple Med cruises. None of us know anything, of course. Pure speculation. Guess we’ll know in couple days. Just glad I am not running a cruise company. 

I really don't like speculating which is why I've stayed out of the conversation,  but with or without guests I don't see the ship sailing the Red Sea if guests were removed. What about the crew?  Are they not people? And I suspect the insurance company will not allow this given the potential risk to the ship.

Time will tell.

My guess is it won't be too much more longer until we know something. No inside information. JMO because of the need to inform guest who have booked individual segments and those on board now who had planned to fly home from a location impacted plus the need to get everything finalized.  

Keith

• Like 5

Onboard Symphony now and there is no grumbling just speculation.  I think everyone understands the situation.  Once the decision has been made then we can expect criticism by a few but not many.

• Like 4

Multimillion dollar decision. Cannot imagine there is ANY chance they will sail into harm’s way with passengers on board. Only issue is if they will go around Africa or sail through the Red Sea with a crew of mercenaries. 

We can only hope that whichever decision they make is the right one. Tough business.

14 hours ago, occasional cruising said:

We can only hope that whichever decision they make is the right one. Tough business.

Those last two words are so true.  It's not a simple decision, like should the buffet stay open for a late shorex.  Talking multi-millions, plus human lives.  But as Tripacian said, whatever they decide will be criticized by those who didn't get an outcome that THEY want.

I like everyone's wish list for the new itinerary.  I am on the full World Cruise BTW.

The reality, as I see it, is Crystal will follow Carnival Corp in rerouting around Africa. Flying and hotels would be extremely expensive and more disruptive. In addition Serenity and it's crew are too valuable to risk in the Red Sea. 

I would believe most of us are on for the hotel,food, entertainment, service with the itinerary a close fifth.

Going around Africa non stop would only take at about 10 days. Planned from Perth to Limassol 30 days. 

I don't expect any announcements until ports are selected and all logistics finalized. Life should have surprises and wonderment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Goi g around Africa with no stops at 15 knits would take forty days to get to Piraeus. I did the math. If you add stops would be over two months. 
I still predict at least Symphony will give crew option to go home for two weeks or sail up Red Sea on ship with no pax. 
Serenity a whole other story. 

Actually Perth to Limassol is 24 -25 sea days at 20 knots. Symphony's current itinerary allows 32 days from Perth to Limassol. We could have 6-7 ports maybe an overnight in Capetown and finish the Mediterranean ports as planned.  Time will tell. Serenity can do 21 knots and perhaps 22

Edited by Into the Sunset
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Into the Sunset said:

Actually Perth to Limassol is 24 -25 sea days at 20 knots. Symphony's current itinerary allows 32 days from Perth to Limassol. We could have 6-7 ports maybe an overnight in Capetown and finish the Mediterranean ports as planned.  Time will tell. Serenity can do 21 knots and perhaps 22

You might be confused.  I don’t see Perth or Limassol on Symphony’s itinerary. 

The Mumbai to Athens cruise continues to draw nearer, and of course Symphony was (is) due to transit the Gulf of Aden / Bab El Mandab Strait before Serenity. The O.S.I. picture  has been clear for weeks and we know that no cruise ships will be going through there. As booked flights etc will no doubt need to be cancelled some communication would be wonderful.

No way Serenity or Symphony could maintain 20 knots let alone 22 knots for close to 30 days without coming apart at the seams.Remrmber these are 30 year old ships.  Besides, the fuel use would be enormous. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

No way Serenity or Symphony could maintain 20 knots let alone 22 knots for close to 30 days without coming apart at the seams.Remrmber these are 30 year old ships.  Besides, the fuel use would be enormous. 

You better tell the captain. We will do the 3015 NM from San Diego to Honolulu in 5.5 days that will be over 20knots average.  Should I sleep by the lifeboats? 

8 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Over 20 kn in Pacufic swells for five days??? Hope you enjoy it. 

Actually, the 2020 World Cruise, after being diverted to Cabo for a medical emergency, Serenity maintained 23 knots/hr for eight full days. According to Captain Vorland, it was the longest full speed run since they took delivery in 2003. So yes, it is possible.

• Like 1