Late Boarding Time

DDeeBee75

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:
3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Everyone knows the options when driving to Southampton regarding boarding times but nobody can give a sensible answer on those, which there are many, who travel by public transport i.e coach, trains. They have no control of time they arrive and therefore can have problems killing time which is exasperated if they are old or disabled with luggage. Unfortunately there are many on here who are OK with arriving at boarding times and knock those who have a totally different situation which they control. I am afraid it is a case of I am alright jack and have no thought of those that have issues with arriving close to boarding times.

But it’s no different to having to leave the hotel at 11am and having a boarding time of say 2.45 as we had earlier this month - WITH an elderly passenger using a walker. It’s nothing to do with ‘alright jack’. 

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Everyone knows the options when driving to Southampton regarding boarding times but nobody can give a sensible answer on those, which there are many, who travel by public transport i.e coach, trains. They have no control of time they arrive and therefore can have problems killing time which is exasperated if they are old or disabled with luggage. Unfortunately there are many on here who are OK with arriving at boarding times and knock those who have a totally different situation which they control. I am afraid it is a case of I am alright jack and have no thought of those that have issues with arriving close to boarding times.

The people arriving on public transport can control though like I said deliver luggage then go and do something else it’s not hard. Even if disabled they can do exactly the same. If they know they will have to wait just go to a hotel for time being. Trains are not the best especially with luggage I wonder how they get on. If they really suffer then they should be requesting assistance and all being well get on early.

Edited by carlanthony24

6 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

The people arriving on public transport can control though like I said deliver luggage then go and do something else it’s not hard. Even if disabled they can do exactly the same. If they know they will have to wait just go to a hotel for time being. Trains are not the best especially with luggage I wonder how they get on. If they really suffer then they should be requesting assistance and all being well get on early.

All very well and good but like so have said previously if you are arriving by train and old, infirm or in a wheelchair delivering your luggage and going to do something else can be very hard. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2024 at 8:20 PM, majortom10 said:

All very well and good but like so have said previously if you are arriving by train and old, infirm or in a wheelchair delivering your luggage and going to do something else can be very hard. 

Old and infirm or in wheel chair you get assistance  so all this doesn't apply! So not relevant!

If you aren't and don't qualify for assistance then, no issue having a coffee or whatever in Southampton and arriving on time.

Come by car, go to M&S or IKEA for a coffee 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Old and infirm or in wheel chair you get assistance  so all this doesn't apply! So not relevant!

If you aren't and don't qualify for assistance then, no issue having a coffee or whatever in Southampton and arriving on time.

I am not sure that wheelchair or passengers needing assistance would be allowed into the terminal ahead of their arrival time, under the current heartless regime, but willing to be proved wrong.

We have John, every time we've been early; most recently in October for Iona. Each time I've told the attendant that we will sit for a while in the terminal until it's our time to go up but, after establishing that my wife doesn't need additional assistance, we've been told to go straight to the special assistance check-in desk upstairs.

59 minutes ago, TigerB said:

We have John, every time we've been early; most recently in October for Iona. Each time I've told the attendant that we will sit for a while in the terminal until it's our time to go up but, after establishing that my wife doesn't need additional assistance, we've been told to go straight to the special assistance check-in desk upstairs.

But what was their first reaction? If it was to join the queue I wonder how many passengers would in fact ask if they could sit in the terminal and be able to go straight to check in?

We've never been directed to join the queue outside. East time I have shown the boarding pass with the arrival time on, and said that we would wait in the terminal, and asked if that is okay. On one occasion we were pulled out of the queue, and when I showed the boarding pass we directed to go and check-in, without me even asking. Mind you, as our lass is in a wheelchair it would have been obvious that we had special assistance.  I think some folk for whom it is not obvious that they may have booked or require special assistance, may have a herd mentality and join the queue to the outside holding area, without even asking the question.

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

You might get assistance at the terminal but if you arrive by train and old, inform or in a wheelchair 2-3 hrs before your boarding time you have 3 choices 1) sit in cafe on railway station with your suitcases 2) get a taxi to terminal drop luggage then taxi back to town centre because not everyone can walk that far then kill 2-3 hrs then get another taxi back to terminal for boarding time or 3) arrive early and be made to wait outside terminal in cold and possible rain.

None of the above are ideal and do apply and not everyone arrives by car but those that do don't seem to care or give a thought about those that arrive by public transport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

You might get assistance at the terminal but if you arrive by train and old, inform or in a wheelchair 2-3 hrs before your boarding time you have 3 choices 1) sit in cafe on railway station with your suitcases 2) get a taxi to terminal drop luggage then taxi back to town centre because not everyone can walk that far then kill 2-3 hrs then get another taxi back to terminal for boarding time or 3) arrive early and be made to wait outside terminal in cold and possible rain.

None of the above are ideal and do apply and not everyone arrives by car but those that do don't seem to care or give a thought about those that arrive by public transport.

Arrived by Public transport plenty of times. Cross Country trains at best you can barely get a seat for a 3hr journey unless you book 1st Class. Even then you could not get a wheelchair on because of how crowded it was. You missed a way get a taxi to a hotel without going to the terminal first. I wonder how many come by train on their own. I would say more come in a car or even get dropped off.

I care about people who can't manage. My sister would not be able to manage standing in queue for so long but hey you plan accordingly.  

What would happen if you had a 8pm restaurant reservation but arrived at 7pm do you believe that they should allow you in or get someone with an earlier booking to wait for your table so you can have theirs?

The fact that the original poster wanted an earlier embarkation time and even after reading posts they still said they would arrive 1hour 45 minutes earlier and hope for the best highlights the problems P&O face. I have been upstairs in the Ocean terminal when it has been packed it was not a pleasant experience I much prefer arriving on time and breezing through. I don’t think it would be good  if there was a fire or another  incident trying to evacuate a full terminal.

I would also like to say it’s ok for me to reserve two sun beds on both sides of the ship it’s only four beds but please don’t everyone do it otherwise nobody will be able to find a bed.

• Like 7

So put it this way. People disembarking the ship in Southampton getting a train home. Do they also plan to get a train at a certain time and end up waiting around for a few hours for it. No difference to waiting a few hours to get on a ship. Do they go to a hotel to wait? Do they wait at the station? Do they go and sit in a coffee shop somewhere? or another possibility a slim one I would say do they pay for a new ticket to get on a train earlier if their is one. No difference. 

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Arrived by Public transport plenty of times. Cross Country trains at best you can barely get a seat for a 3hr journey unless you book 1st Class. Even then you could not get a wheelchair on because of how crowded it was. You missed a way get a taxi to a hotel without going to the terminal first. I wonder how many come by train on their own. I would say more come in a car or even get dropped off.

I care about people who can't manage. My sister would not be able to manage standing in queue for so long but hey you plan accordingly.  

I get the impression on here that many have the attitude"I am alright jack" with there so easy nip drop your luggage off nip back into town and kill 2-3 hrs or go IKEA. Sorry but not easy to kill 2-3 hrs if you are old, disabled or in a wheelchair. IKEA is a long walk for people who have difficulties and many have attitude nip here nip there park here when isn't feasible for some. I just hope one day they don't become disabled or in a wheelchair they might suddenly have a different opinion. Sorry but many on here have a very selfish attitude and I hope they never have to be in situation of needing a wheelchair or have to push loved one in it or become disable or infirm and struggle to walk distances.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, cuatbar58 said:

What would happen if you had a 8pm restaurant reservation but arrived at 7pm do you believe that they should allow you in or get someone with an earlier booking to wait for your table so you can have theirs?

The fact that the original poster wanted an earlier embarkation time and even after reading posts they still said they would arrive 1hour 45 minutes earlier and hope for the best highlights the problems P&O face. I have been upstairs in the Ocean terminal when it has been packed it was not a pleasant experience I much prefer arriving on time and breezing through. I don’t think it would be good  if there was a fire or another  incident trying to evacuate a full terminal.

I would also like to say it’s ok for me to reserve two sun beds on both sides of the ship it’s only four beds but please don’t everyone do it otherwise nobody will be able to find a bed.

Yes much better to arrive on time and "breeze" through as no doubt you arrive by car and have that option. But like all my posts not everyone is fortunate to be able to arrive and "breeze" through check-in. They have lot more issues if using public transport and have no control of arrival time and don't think P&O are considerate for those in that situation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes much better to arrive on time and "breeze" through as no doubt you arrive by car and have that option. But like all my posts not everyone is fortunate to be able to arrive and "breeze" through check-in. They have lot more issues if using public transport and have no control of arrival time and don't think P&O are considerate for those in that situation.

Well you do have control of arrival time you just got to plan the best you can. Train drivers on strike so next best option is coach if any are available to take and not full. So best bet would be to drive or go down day before. Even Inter cruises plan to arrive by a time if they get told to delay arrival they do just that. How many are disabled etc and go by coach then end up having to wait around a service station for an extra hour or two. Some even turn up on the day at the service station to get a coach and have to wait a few hours for it to turn up. 

Again what difference is it to a post above I put above disembarking and having to wait for a train....

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 2

When we arrived for Ventura by coach on 5th December us coach people were all given red cards with letters on and told to by pass all the queuing people who were  stood in at least 3 lines A,B,C outside  Ocean Terminal .  Each queue had a stand at the beginning with a time period on it . 

When we got inside the building there were no long lines , check in was quick , the only slight hold up was at security ..couldn’t understand why people were being made to wait outside in the cold , it was already gone 3pm .

We cruise with Royal and MSC too, much prefer security after check in than before , at least there is seating if check in is before and you can use that  if there is a jam of people at security point .

MSC's before point at security is the worst , far too small a foyer area though there are 2 entrances to the  security  line . Royal's is like a queue for a ride at Disney but at least they have the indoor covered space. I quite like Mayflower terminal, seems very spacious .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I get the impression on here that many have the attitude"I am alright jack" with there so easy nip drop your luggage off nip back into town and kill 2-3 hrs or go IKEA. Sorry but not easy to kill 2-3 hrs if you are old, disabled or in a wheelchair. IKEA is a long walk for people who have difficulties and many have attitude nip here nip there park here when isn't feasible for some. I just hope one day they don't become disabled or in a wheelchair they might suddenly have a different opinion. Sorry but many on here have a very selfish attitude and I hope they never have to be in situation of needing a wheelchair or have to push loved one in it or become disable or infirm and struggle to walk distances.

That maybe so, and it wouldn't be something that would be easy for my Dad either should he decide to cruise again, but as far as I can see, that wasn't the point of the reason why this thread was started or at least, nothing seemed to suggest it was. It was the fact that someone is choosing to IGNORE an arrival time, turn up early and get on board early because IMO, they seem to have the opinion of "I'm alright Jack". Can you honestly say, that if you were given an embarkation time of say.. 12:30, and someone with an embarkation time of 14:30, turned up at 12pm and got on board before you - just because they have decided that's what they want to do - that you would be ok with it? I'm going to assume it'd be a no... We can "whataboutery" til the cows come home about it but that wasn't the initial point of the thread.

Edited by RebelWithoutAClue
  • Like 7

I have said this before and I will say it again.

90% of the arrival time problems could be cured if P&O, like other cruise lines, allowed passengers on a first come basis to choose their own arrival times to suit their travel arrangements. Currently there is nothing factored in with the allotted arrival times for those travelling by coach which effectively means that some (or in some cases many) passengers have two arrival times one of which is unused and thus depriving others of that time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, david63 said:

90% of the arrival time problems could be cured if P&O, like other cruise lines, allowed passengers on a first come basis to choose their own arrival times to suit their travel arrangements. Currently there is nothing factored in with the allotted arrival times for those travelling by coach which effectively means that some (or in some cases many) passengers have two arrival times one of which is unused and thus depriving others of that time.

I think they need to start embarkation sooner, the same way as do al the other cruise lines. 

If they can start sometime between 10:00 and 11:00, there is no reason at all that P&O cannot. 

That would go 99% of the way to solving the problems.  As Paul Ludlow might say.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You’re missing the point. I HAVE been in that situation, in fact earlier this month. Still doesn’t give us the right to arrive earlier than the stated time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david63 said:

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think they need to start embarkation sooner, the same way as do al the other cruise lines. 

If they can start sometime between 10:00 and 11:00, there is no reason at all that P&O cannot. 

That would go 99% of the way to solving the problems.  As Paul Ludlow might say.

Totally agree that offering a choice of arrival times to passengers works well. I have sailed numerous times with Celebrity and choose the time that suits me best and that I can adhere to. I have never had to queue more than a minute or two, and only once had to sit for a short time, indoors, after check in, to wait to be called onto the ship.

I think the suggestion to start embarkation earlier at 10:00 or thereabouts will just mean being 'kicked off' even earlier so not something I would be keen on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Personally no because you know people will go for the earliest time they can even though they most likely could not get that time, being kicked off earlier. I don't like the idea of waking up at 7am has it is.

Edited by carlanthony24

4 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Totally agree that offering a choice of arrival times to passengers works well. I have sailed numerous times with Celebrity and choose the time that suits me best and that I can adhere to. I have never had to queue more than a minute or two, and only once had to sit for a short time, indoors, after check in, to wait to be called onto the ship.

I think the suggestion to start embarkation earlier at 10:00 or thereabouts will just mean being 'kicked off' even earlier so not something I would be keen on. 

But there is normally no one left on board most of the cruise ships at Southampton much after 9:00 -9:30, so not really a problem.

If you allowed people to pick their time on a first come first served basis  you would still have the same problem of people turning up when they want / suits them. If the time  slot they wanted had gone they would still tournament  up regardless , the same situation as now. This post just goes round in circles. It all boils down to not wanting or unwilling to follow the time you are given. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

It all boils down to not wanting or unwilling to follow the time you are given. 

Maybe but it also boils down to the fact that the facilities at Southampton cruise port are not fit for for purpose for modern day cruising/cruise ships.

Southampton never had (or at least never flagged up that there was a problem) 10 years ago when the largest ship was Ventura/Azura - so what has changed? The only change is that the ships have got bigger with more passengers but the terminals have stayed the same.

When Azura came into service there was a new terminal built (Ocean) to accommodate her as it was apparent that the existing terminals could not handle ships of that size but nothing has been done since to cater for the even bigger ships. As far as I can see there is no forward planning at Southampton where cruise terminals are concerned - other than make everyone stand outside for hours in the cold and wet.

• Like 1