Vista. Waves has Pizza

Redtravel

4 hours ago, Harters said:

With the men always wearing a jacket for dinner. 😀

I actually posted some years ago after seeing an ad of men in jackets. I was quickly corrected. Not that he would minded but one fewer things to pack.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I wish there was a replacement for Ember--maybe something like a high end Modern Mexican restaurant.

As a resident of Arizona, Mexican food is the last thing I want on a cruise.  I can get that (and good Mexican food) everyday, here.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

, Mexican food is the last thing I want on a cruise.  I can get that (and good Mexican food) everyday, here.

One thing I never do is eat at a Mexican restaurant outside a border state.  Definitely not on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kay S said:

One thing I never do is eat at a Mexican restaurant outside a border state.  Definitely not on a cruise ship.

You might be limiting yourself and missing out on some really good food. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kay S said:

To each his own.  Virgin Voyages has a pretty good Modern Mexican restaurant. 

Mexican is the second most popular Ethnic food in the USA.

Top 10 Most Popular Ethnic Cuisines in US – All About America (voanews.com)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

And if you have ever eaten in Frontera Grill in Chicago (Rick Bayless), you would know that being near the Mexican border is not a disqualification for great Mexican cuisine.

FGMENU_DINNER-3.13.24.pdf (rickbayless.com)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Just so I understand….so a Mexican restaurant in Sacramento would be better than one in Las Vegas because California borders Mexico and Nevada doesn’t, despite Las Vegas being closer to Mexico than Sacramento?? 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

There's a reason for that. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Just so I understand….so a Mexican restaurant in Sacramento would be better than one in Las Vegas because California borders Mexico and Nevada doesn’t, despite Las Vegas being closer to Mexico than Sacramento?? 

I have had some very good tacos in Sacramento.

Edited by Kay S
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

You might be limiting yourself and missing out on some really good food. 

It hasn't happened yet. 🙂 It's a rule of thumb--the farther away from the county of origin, the less delicious the food.  I guess one learns to put up with the less delicious if that's all that is available.  Of course, with the globalization happening in the world, more and more people are leaving their native countries and some of those open restaurants in far flung places (like Vegas?🙂)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kay S said:

It hasn't happened yet. 🙂 It's a rule of thumb--the farther away from the county of origin, the less delicious the food.  I guess one learns to put up with the less delicious if that's all that is available.  Of course, with the globalization happening in the world, more and more people are leaving their native countries and some of those open restaurants in far flung places (like Vegas?🙂)

Ok, I'm not going argue with you. But that's a very outdated attitude toward food. There's good food all across the US. Truly, the edges don't have a monopoly. But you believe what you want to. Contrary to some opinions some of us in flyover country do know what good food tastes like. So no, it has nothing to do with putting up with what's available. That's a very condescending statement. 

• Like 5

Is Tex Mex really Mexican?

Is Italian food, without all the appropriate herbs and spices, really Italian food?

Is Asian Fusion in any way Asian, or just mostly Americanized foods for people not wanting the real thing?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Kay S said:

I guess humor is not a feature on this board.  Oh well.

I wonder where the best menudo is in "flyover country."

And if anyone is wondering about Asian fusion:

Asian Fusion menus generally offer a blend of two or more Asian cultures in each menu item. For example, there might be an offering of a traditional Korean dish with an additional kick of South Indian accents, ingredients, and flavors.Jun 23, 2019
Edited by clo

23 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Mexican Americans have long been the second largest minority group in the United States after African Americans.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Is Tex Mex really Mexican?

This is very basic and maybe you have to have tasted the difference to know it.

https://www.loschilangos.com/post/what-s-the-difference-between-tex-mex-and-authentic-mexican-food

Many years ago in San Francisco I read about a place in the (now famous) Mission District that had birria, a Mexican goat stew.  We went there and the oh-so-sweet Mexican woman told it was beef. I would say "cabrito?" and she would say, "No, beef." After we cleaned our bowls, all but licking them clean I said "cabrito?" and she said, "si, cabrito." And I don't think I've ever seen it in the US with goat. But I haven't spent much time in southern border towns.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

And I don't think I've ever seen it in the US with goat. But I haven't spent much time in southern border towns.

Authentic birria is available all over Southern California (even from fast food drive-thrus.)  A local family I know will serve it for celebrations.  This family has been local since before California became a state in 1849, so I take the food as the real thing.  My favorite taco story is the place in Paris advertising "tacos" which were folded pita bread.  I don't object if a cruise ship opens a Mexican restaurant, but I don't have to eat there.  

• Haha 1

I think it is a generational thing. When I grew up in New Jersey in the 70s, Mexican food was not available. Italian food was king (and still is).

Mexican food is so ubiquitous these days that that is probably the favorite of the younger generation (The kids I know in Tennessee would get Mexican every night). But O does not cater to the younger generation and it's not the favorite of the older generation that O does cater to.

Virgin Voyages caters to the younger generation.

So, I've changed my mind and I think a Modern Mexican specialty restaurant is not a good match for O.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I don't object if a cruise ship opens a Mexican restaurant, but I don't have to eat there.  

Nor do I. They do quite a few things quite well, so why set myself up for disappointment if I don't have to.

OT but I just remembered that decades, we were living in Oregon and met an older friend at a local Mexican. They had what they called queso fundido aka melted cheese. IIRC it was yellow cheese and nothing else. Over the years I started making my own version: queso fundido con chorizo y poblano. Chorizo fresh from our Latino market , oaxaco cheese and roasted poblanos. Served with corn chips.

queso fundido.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

So, I've changed my mind and I think a Modern Mexican specialty restaurant is not a good match for O.

I think you're right but, boy, would I stand up for some. How about you, @Kay S?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/dining/modern-mexican-food-steps-into-the-spotlight.html

And if the Adria brothers have gotten into it, I've never needed a reason to head back to Barcelona 🙂

19 minutes ago, clo said:

I think you're right but, boy, would I stand up for some. How about you, @Kay S?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/dining/modern-mexican-food-steps-into-the-spotlight.html

And if the Adria brothers have gotten into it, I've never needed a reason to head back to Barcelona 🙂

I love all types of Mexican--including Modern Mexican.  The food in that article looks amazing. 

1 minute ago, basenji56 said:

I love all types of Mexican--including Modern Mexican.  The food in that article looks amazing. 

It does, doesn't it? But I'm not sure cruise pax are up to the challenge. 🙂

48 minutes ago, clo said:

I

Of course, Spanish food and Mexican food are different.  My daughter spent a semester studying in Spain and came back a bit of an "expert" on the differences.  She's a good cook and learned many Spanish recipes, but she was limited in the authentic ingredients she could get here.  I wonder if a traditionally Spanish restaurant would fly on O.