Press Statement: Crystal Cruises Navigates Red Sea Situation with Safety in Mind

Keith1010

Press Statement: Crystal Cruises Navigates Red Sea Situation with Safety in Mind

In light of the current situation in the Red Sea, Crystal remains committed to prioritizing the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We understand the evolving dynamics and are actively monitoring the situation, maintaining open communication with relevant authorities and security firms to make informed decisions.

Our team is diligently working to create alternate itineraries, recognizing the potential need to make adjustments should the need arise to cancel voyages that transit the Red Sea. Throughout this process, we will maintain an ongoing conversation with our guests to ensure their preferences are considered and addressed. For our World Cruise Guests, we will confirm that any adjustments will not impact Crystal Serenity’s ability to reach Miami by June 8, 2024.

Once a final decision is made, we will immediately notify all guests who may be impacted. Guests and crew can rest assured that any necessary adjustments will be handled thoughtfully. Considerations such as adjusting ship provisions and the impact on containers in transit, adapting travel plans (including visas) for our dedicated crew members, and rebooking or, if necessary, canceling previously scheduled ports will be addressed with care. Any necessary modifications to itineraries will be carefully managed to prevent any cascading effects on our operational systems. We thank guests and crew for their understanding during this process.

• Like 7

A well done answer to the question.  When you consider the problems with logistics, crew deployment, port availability and of course passenger transportation etc it makes you realize how difficult the situation becomes.  Safety overrides everything.

• Like 3

One of these things we as passengers/guests never think about when it is necessary to make major changes to an itinerary;

"Considerations such as adjusting ship provisions and the impact on containers in transit, adapting travel plans (including visas) for our dedicated crew members,

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

One of these things we as passengers/guests never think about when it is necessary to make major changes to an itinerary;

"Considerations such as adjusting ship provisions and the impact on containers in transit, adapting travel plans (including visas) for our dedicated crew members,

I’m so pleased to see you single out this sentence. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, May B said:

I’m so pleased to see you single out this sentence. 

We had dinner with the Crew Manager (sp) a few years ago and it was a real eye-opening experience what they have to do to get crew/staff in and out.

As far as supplies are concerned, I never really considered the effort/scheduling involved to get Containers A/B/C to dockside in Cricket Armpit, Some-South-Pacific-Island so I could have fresh fruit at breakfast the next day!!! Those containers did not just arrive by accident! 😮 😮 

• Like 7

On 1/22/2024 at 12:54 PM, Keith1010 said:

In light of the current situation in the Red Sea, Crystal remains committed to prioritizing the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We understand the evolving dynamics and are actively monitoring the situation, maintaining open communication with relevant authorities and security firms to make informed decisions.g

Our team is diligently working to create alternate itineraries, recognizing the potential need to make adjustments should the need arise to cancel voyages that transit the Red Sea. Throughout this process, we will maintain an ongoing conversation with our guests to ensure their preferences are considered and addressed. 

I recognize that this is an extremely difficult process.  But as far as that last line in the quote above:  There has been no “ongoing conversation” with me or anyone else I have talked to onboard.  Indeed, this press release was not shared with onboard guests.  My only knowledge of it comes from Keith’s post.

Dwight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In trying to actually find something out about this ongoing situation our travel agent called the Crystal Cruises representative in the U.K. on Friday. The representative was still saying as far as they knew the cruise was still going ahead and was going on to say which countries we would have to get visas for ourselves as the ship wouldn’t get them. 

As regards the press statement and communication with guests I would second what History & Wine above said, there has been no contact whatsoever by any means. 

Just in case the Crystal office aren’t aware of the latest news this weekend, one oil tanker attacked by ballistic missile causing damage and fire onboard, one US Navy vessel fired upon, and one Royal Navy vessel fired upon resulting in the deployment of a shipborne weapons system to shoot down the attacking drone. 

Still, will look forward to my ‘ongoing conversation’……….

• Thanks 1

The only actual information in the Press Statement is the indication that there is a “potential need . . . to cancel voyages that transit the Red Sea”.  Really?  Those not living under a rock already know that.  The rest is blather, but they can’t be faulted for that, because the circumstances are out of their control and, in important aspects, unknowable to them.  The rumors posted here, from guests on both ships, seem at least to agree on hearsay that new itineraries will be revealed on or about Feb. 2.  If so, we’ll know a lot more at that point and, given “the evolving dynamics”, so will Crystal.  Meanwhile, Crystal staff is coping with the current world situation on top of managing the recovery from the pandemic and a change of ownership, so it might be argued that they deserve everyone’s patience and thanks, since they’re focused on their guests having a wonderful experience in spite of all the tumult.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1