Sea Sickness What Recommendations to Avoid Getting Sick?

Thia6969

• Thia6969 changed the title to Sea Sickness What Recommendations to Avoid Getting Sick?

We have always traveled with Meclizine just in case but rarely use it.

On our last cruises - Baltics and Iceland, I also took a Relief Band and was so glad I did!

Some rough waters in the North Sea made me glad I had it!

Where are you cruising?  We’ve always had smooth sailing in the Caribbean if that’s where you are headed.

Enjoy your cruise! 🛳️🛟🚢

I take Bonine with me.  Non-drowsy chewable medication. Rarely have to use it.  I also have sea bands for the wrists.  I take my cane for really rough seas.  You will know it is bad when there are barf bags taped to walls and trash cans everywhere.  

Other non-medical:

Paper bag between clothing and stomach

Green apples

Look at the horizon

(not tested)

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thia6969 said:

Thanks, will be traveling to the Panama Canal

Which direction (full transit)?  

If North to South / the Pacific Ocean can be a little rough as you travel up the coast

If South to North / as you come out of the canal, the Caribbean can be a little rough

I have always used sea bands and they work for me.  I also found early on that the side to side rolling was a problem.  Our first cruise we had an OV cabin with the beds under the window.  We both found we could not sit in bed facing the inside of the ship and read.  The solution was to leave the cabin and go somewhere we could sit with a forward to aft orientation.  It’s still true for me.  EM

• Like 1

If you feel seasickness coming on, provided you have not had a previous reaction to this medication, generic diphenhydramine, 25mg. 

Sold OTC as symptomatic cold and allergy relief, sleep aid, seasickness, hives, itch from sunburn... If it's caused by histamines, take an antihistamine.

A store brand is as good as brand name Benadryl. Takes little space, yet has several uses.Takes about an hour and a half to kick in. You will be groggy, but you're not driving anyway.

Ships now are so big and stable, not really a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I take GRAVOL, which is only available through Amazon in the US.  (In Canada you can get it anywhere.)

I find I don’t react well to the US anti-nauseants.  Those give me terrible headaches and/or make me loopy.  Also, with Gravol I can bite off a small section if I only need to take the edge off.

Having said that, however, I can’t recall ever having to take an anti-nauseant on a Caribbean/Panama Canal cruise as the seas have never been rough enough to affect me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever of these recommendations that you choose , should you still feel it coming on , do not retreat to your cabin . That is the kiss of death for seasickness to hit you.

Stay out and about, preferable outside . Eat , eat and eat.

• Like 2