Booking a future cruise

mistyPA

Can anyone tell me if they have had good experience with booking a future cruise while onboard a cruise? Do you usually get a better deal? And, I am almost certain of this answer, but will put it out there anyway...Can you use onboard credits for a future cruise down payment?

4 minutes ago, mistyPA said:

Can anyone tell me if they have had good experience with booking a future cruise while onboard a cruise? Do you usually get a better deal? And, I am almost certain of this answer, but will put it out there anyway...Can you use onboard credits for a future cruise down payment?

I was on the Magic Castle Conjurors Cruise on the Discovery Princess in October. Towards the end of the cruise they announced Spellbound by Magic Castle and the November 9, 2024 Sun Princess Magic Castle Conjurors Cruise. They let all those on board put a down payment for the November cruise the day before it opened to the public. The Future Cruise Desk was packed. We got a great price, plus Princess Premier, airport transfers and the $50 per person OBC.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mistyPA said:

Sometimes, they offer the next cruise, which would be a b2b, at a reduced rate.  Now that ships are running full, it doesn’t happen as often.  However, it did happen to us just last month, because the next cruise was not fully booked.  The guests OB, jumped on that and filled up the ship.

I checked prices on the future ones, that I was interested in, and none were a good deal.  IMO.  Just check with them early on. YMMV

• Like 2

Recently there had been a list of cruises at 50% off the online price.  They are usually sailing within the next few months.  We cancelled and rebooked 4 cruises and saved over £5000!

They can only be booked onboard, but if you can go on them offered a genuine 50% off.

We did this in November 2023, ask the future cruise consultant onboard.

Edited by Sarnia 432

I'll answer this way. It's usually better to purchase Future Cruise Deposits (FCDs) for $100 each and then wait until you get home to do more research when not under the influence of the on board seller as well as not being on a cruise spirt high. Normally cruise costs and promos on board are no different than you can get once home. FCDs are individual. When purchased in your name they are for you, no one else. For example, you can not purchase one for a sister that isn't on board. FCDs are charged directly to your credit card and are fully refundable if not used.

If you do book on board you can get some benefits. You can assign the booking to your Travel Agent and then receive any additional benefits the T.A. may offer. You only pay the $100 deposit as if you had an FCD and receive the corresponding OBC. Any deposit required for the booking is charged directly to your credit card. You can not use your on board account nor any OBC in your account.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Sometimes, they offer the next cruise, which would be a b2b, at a reduced rate.  Now that ships are running full, it doesn’t happen as often.  However, it did happen to us just last month, because the next cruise was not fully booked.  The guests OB, jumped on that and filled up the ship.

I checked prices on the future ones, that I was interested in, and none were a good deal.  IMO.  Just check with them early on. YMMV

Staying on board after the South Pacific and heading south, right?....we were very very tempted but...

22 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Staying on board after the South Pacific and heading south, right?....we were very very tempted but...

I know, right?  She showed me the ship went from being open to a waitlist, after people jumped on it.  😂 

On one occasion we took advantage of a 50% off cruise which on that occasion saved us quite a bit of money. On another cruise however we went to the future cruise office to see what they were offering and was told they had a special pricing coming up in a few days. The lady recommended we wait until that day to see what kind of benefits we could get. We did so, but didn't book because the prices offered seems extremely high for the cruise we were looking at. I immediately went to our cabin and pulled that same cruise up both on my TA's website as well as Princess and found both sites were offering considerably better pricings. 

SO, my best advise is to be very careful and before laying your hard-earned dollars down, double check to make sure they aren't trying to scam you. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I'll answer this way. It's usually better to purchase Future Cruise Deposits (FCDs) for $100 each and then wait until you get home to do more research when not under the influence of the on board seller as well as not being on a cruise spirt high. 

This is what I have always recommended and done. There just seems to be too much pressure (self imposed) to make a choice because others are usually there waiting.  This way, you do your research at your own pace. 

We always go to the FC office to see what specials they may be running.  Last year, they had a list of 50% off specific sailings, so I booked a number of them. We were onboard a couple of weeks ago and they had some sailings that were 25% - 30% off.  I looked at the list and nothing appealed to me.  It was rather odd that they weren’t advertising that list of discounted sailings as they were with the 50% off sale.  
You aren’t able to use a FCD with the list of sailings and they aren’t combinable with any other promo.  If you have CCL stock or military OBC, you could still apply for those.  

When you book a cruise onboard, you usually just get the same price as what is listed on the Princess website.  It will automatically be assigned to whomever booked your current cruise.  If you use a travel agency, they would receive your booking and add any agency perks there may be.

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

I'll answer this way. It's usually better to purchase Future Cruise Deposits (FCDs) for $100 each and then wait until you get home to do more research when not under the influence of the on board seller as well as not being on a cruise spirt high. Normally cruise costs and promos on board are no different than you can get once home. FCDs are individual. When purchased in your name they are for you, no one else. For example, you can not purchase one for a sister that isn't on board. FCDs are charged directly to your credit card and are fully refundable if not used.

Last year, and things could certainly have changed by now, we were able to book a cruise for some friends and pay for their FCD with our credit card.  The key was, it had to be put onto an actual booking.  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Last year, and things could certainly have changed by now, we were able to book a cruise for some friends and pay for their FCD with our credit card.  The key was, it had to be put onto an actual booking.  

We bought FCDs for family a couple weeks ago who weren't onboard, didn't apply them to any cruise, or book a cruise. No requirement to book another cruise and apply the purchased FCDs. All we needed was their Captain's Circle numbers.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

When I was on Island in November/December, the future cruise desk was giving the hard sell to the pre-paid packages where you paid a specific amount and got a package of nights at 4–5-star hotels pre or post cruise in various embarkation cities worldwide and then a 7- or 10-day cruise.  I forget the specific name of this program.  The cost was fairly high, but it seemed to be popular.  I think they were offering an extended payment term or some such financing arrangement.

2 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

When I was on Island in November/December, the future cruise desk was giving the hard sell to the pre-paid packages where you paid a specific amount and got a package of nights at 4–5-star hotels pre or post cruise in various embarkation cities worldwide and then a 7- or 10-day cruise.  I forget the specific name of this program.  The cost was fairly high, but it seemed to be popular.  I think they were offering an extended payment term or some such financing arrangement.

They're doing the same on the Discovery Princess. When we asked if they're running any onboard specials, this was the first thing presented.

@skynight, Princess allows a passenger on board to purchase FCD’s for Anyone that has a Captain circle number, they do not have to be on board. The passenger on board has to purchase so hopefully the people not on board they are buying for will reimburse them. I have done this for people who are yet to sail. They get a referral from a family member, get issued as Captain circle number, then when someone we know is on a ship, but them a FCD. 

The 50% selected sailings promo ended at the end of October 2023. I have heard currently they have selected sailing at 25-30% off which is better than nothing if the sailing works for you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We bought FCDs for family a couple weeks ago who weren't onboard, didn't apply them to any cruise, or book a cruise. No requirement to book another cruise and apply the purchased FCDs. All we needed was their Captain's Circle numbers.

Good to know!