Best Hawaii cruise itinerary?

kaz828

Define best...

There are MANY discussions here around this board on this and similar topics. Some research on the board would be beneficial.

The first thing that is important to understand is that there is only 5 maximum ports in Hawaii to stop at. So the number of combos and options is limited. 

Many will say that Pride of America's 7 day route is great because you get, generally, maximum time on each island. But, the counter to that is if you are going to fly there, it is probably better to do a land trip. Others will say the round trips from the mainland are better, but the counter is if you have 15-18 days, then fly to the islands, and see several islands for 3-5 days each.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaz828 said:

I know it can be subjective but what would you say is a really good cruise/ship/itinerary for Hawaii? 

Like Bruce says, POA gives you the most actual time in Hawaii. The ship is a gaudy barge and wouldn't be my first choice for any cruise, but the fact remains that if you must take a cruise it will provide you with the most Hawaiian cruise you can take. 

Next best would be cruises that either originate or end up in Hawaii from the mainland. You'll be able to spend some time before or after on the islands. Distant third place for me are those that are round trip fromm the mainland-- unless you really, really love sea days this is a truly awful way to see Hawaii-- it's more of a drive by with the limited amount of time you can spend on the islands. 

Don't get me wrong, I love cruising but Hawaii is one of those places that just doesn't lend itself well to going by ship. Just fly over and spend some meaningful time on the islands-- a far more enchanting way to see them in depth than you can by ship. 

• Like 3

We were happy with POA.  It was like being in a hotel and doing a day trip every day.  We did not have to worry about transportation from island to island or finding lodging an multiple islands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We like LA or San Diego RT (SF in a pinch) on Princess and HAL. The 10 sea days allows actual relaxation to set in.

If I'd never been to Hawaii before I might do a one way to/from Vancouver on Disney, Celebrity or Royal and spend a week to 10 days in Hawaii before or after.

21 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

If I'd never been to Hawaii before I might do a one way to/from Vancouver on Disney, Celebrity or Royal and spend a week to 10 days in Hawaii before or after.

Normally you and I are nearly always eye to eye on most things-- so this is a rare miss. Your point here about if you've been to Hawaii before or not is an important delineation though. I think we agree that if this is the OPs first time to Hawaii they should try and spend as much time there as they can. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Normally you and I are nearly always eye to eye on most things-- so this is a rare miss. Your point here about if you've been to Hawaii before or not is an important delineation though. I think we agree that if this is the OPs first time to Hawaii they should try and spend as much time there as they can. 

Yes, it is because I find the POA so ghastly, I can't bring myself to recommend it. I've had better food on overnight ferries.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, it is because I find the POA so ghastly, I can't bring myself to recommend it. I've had better food on overnight ferries.

I was invited on for lunch years ago and agree. The decor is like they gave North Korea an unlimited budget to create a cartoonish American themed mall. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

POA does give you a lot of time in HI.  You do not have to spend time at the airport to get from island to island.  You also do not have to stay at expensive Hawaiian hotels. While the POA does not live up to what I expect from a cruise ship the food was fine and it worked for this trip.

22 hours ago, mskaufman said:

POA does give you a lot of time in HI.  You do not have to spend time at the airport to get from island to island.  You also do not have to stay at expensive Hawaiian hotels. While the POA does not live up to what I expect from a cruise ship the food was fine and it worked for this trip.

POA gives you a little time in HI. It is a little more than most cruises.

If I wanted to see Hawaii, I'd do a land based trip or a one way trip to/from HI and combined with land based time.

• Like 1