RCCL VIP Pass

We are sailing on RCCL Mariner of the Seas in April.  It is a family trip ( with grandkids ages 11&9.   I have read that RCCl has a VIP Pass called the Key.  Was wondering if it’s worth the money & what perks do you get with it. 
Any info would be appreciated.

Cruising Nonnie

4 hours ago, curtsfan said:

We are sailing on RCCL Mariner of the Seas in April.  It is a family trip ( with grandkids ages 11&9.   I have read that RCCl has a VIP Pass called the Key.  Was wondering if it’s worth the money & what perks do you get with it. 

Cruising Nonnie

The price and details are in your Cruise Planner on the RC website.

10 hours ago, curtsfan said:

Cruising Nonnie

"Worth the money" is relative.

One way of calculating its worth is to deduct the cost of any internet package that you might buy from the total cost of the Key for your party. Then, looking at the remaining perks, you can determine whether or not you think they are worth the outstanding amount.

Bear in mind that you need to buy it for everyone in the cabin over the age of six. It includes internet access for one device per person. Do your grandkids need internet at ages 11 and 9?

In my opinion, it can often be worth it if you're travelling solo and would be buying internet anyway. Not so much otherwise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, curtsfan said:

Cruising Nonnie

Whatever cost you see in the cruise planner is per person.  It includes internet, one lunch, reserved seating at events and expedited debarkation at ports.  IMO, not really worth for the price.  We got it once and it was a sale special of $14.99 and at that price it covered more than the daily internet cost.

I have found it is only worth it if you have tender ports and it is just a few dollars more than internet alone. I add the price of internet, a Chops lunch, and what I am willing to pay to avoid the frustration of waiting for a tender. That is how I decide but YMMV. The other "perks" like private time for the rock wall and such are offered at inconvenient times. Just my experience. 

3 hours ago, FionaMG said:

"Worth the money" is relative.

Exactly.  I personally don't value the things The Key offers:  

- Priority boarding, which I don't see as a big deal.  If you sign up quickly, you can get the first boarding time, which will be within the same hour as those who board early with The Key.  I like to be early, but I won't fight you to be first.  

- They'll take your carry-on and drop it in your room. IF you trust someone else to transport your electronics, medicines and jewelry.  

- A special lunch upon boarding. 

- Special set-aside times for activities like Flow-Rider, but you may not want to go at those times, and they aren't really prime-times.   

- Priority boarding for tenders, which is a worthwhile perk -- for the few islands that use tenders.   

- Special seating at shows -- though it isn't prime seating, and it isn't enforced.  

- Choose your departure time -- though you can do this without The Key either by using Self-Disembarkation or by going to Guest Services and saying, "I'd like this departure time".  

- Internet service -- IF you're going to buy internet anyway, and IF The Key is only a couple dollars more, it might be a worthwhile spend.  But we don't buy internet, so it'd be quite expensive for us.  

Personally, I'd rather spend that money on doing something special on the islands.  

• Like 1

We always get the key.

I love to drop my carry on (although I still have a tiny back pack that has my jewelry, passports and cash).  My meds are in my large suitcase.  I have never had my electronics vanish. 

I enjoy the first day lunch in a quiet non-crowded environment.

We always get internet anyway.  We use it for phone calls too.

I really enjoy the last morning.  No super early getting ready to fight the crowds in the windjammer.  No need to schlep our bags up or down stairs to get off.  Just a leisurely morning of getting ready, nice quiet breakfast and a guide who leads up to the front of the line to then find our luggage in a dedicated area.  

The key is worth the price for us and we have never had to give up doing something  at a port because we purchased the key.

• Like 1