Akureyri 6 hours only- recommendations requested

Our cruise arrives at 12 and leaves at 6.  That certainly doesn't give us time to do the large loop with the lake.

I saw a post somewhere that there are tour operators at the port with cheaper trips to the waterfall.

Can anyone verify that, or should I book a 2-4 hour tour in advance so that we don't miss out?

I also don't know, if I should book a tour in advance or wait to see what thay have in port.

I'm concerned that maybe the ship won't dock because of the weather and the tours are really expensive.

4 hours ago, tashaaa said:

I'm concerned that maybe the ship won't dock because of the weather and the tours are really expensive.

Be aware that post pandemic there are fewer tour operators operating so better to pre-book.You will need to read the Tcs and Cs very carefully, especially so if booking through a broker such as Viator, as their cancellation/refund policy could be tricky for cruise pax.

You might find this past thread an interesting read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2963282-private-tours-in-reykjavik/#comment-66104914

And some of this one, especially post #6 as you may be able to arrange a shortened version of the longer tour and maybe find others on your Roll Call to share with you as this can reduce the pp cost.  And check what fellow passengers on your Roll Call have already planned as they may be looking for others like yourself to join their private tours.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2931919-iceland-excursions-warning-wild-westfjords-arctic-shorex/#comment-66223407

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

If you are interested in a tour, I would not recommend waiting to see what may be available upon arrival.

If you think you'd rather not book an excursion with the cruise company, I suggest you contact a local company and see what they may be offering for the date/time of your port visit.

https://bustravel.is/

• Like 2

Thank you for all the info. Maybe its better to book an excursion earlier, so that we dont miss out.

I was looking at the Imagine Iceland tour for cruise ships. Maybe someone has also some experiences? 
The tour is not that long, so I have enough time to come to the ship.

But they dont give you a refund if the ship doesn’t dock… 

7 hours ago, kazganymede said:

Thanks all for the great advice. I've booked a 2 hour tour to the waterfall which can be cancelled if something better comes along.

Can you say, where you book it? Which provider? 

thank you.

We made this our easy port with no excursions. We took a long walk to the most Northernmost botanical garden in the world. DW is going through a lot of ink printing the pictures.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:08 AM, kazganymede said:

We suggested you avoid third parties in case you don't dock or you need to make a change for any other reason it's much easier to contact a provider directly than relying on a third party to get your message across.

It's also nice to put all the money into local provider's pockets instead of paying a conglomerate.  It looks like a nice tour, and it says it is offered by Saga Travel.  You might want to see if you can book this directly with them, instead.  They are a good company

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, Nitemare said:

We suggested you avoid third parties in case you don't dock or you need to make a change for any other reason it's much easier to contact a provider directly than relying on a third party to get your message across.

It's also nice to put all the money into local provider's pockets instead of paying a conglomerate.  It looks like a nice tour, and it says it is offered by Saga Travel.  You might want to see if you can book this directly with them, instead.  They are a good company

We used them in both Akureyri and Reykjavik - timely with very good guides.  Easy to book online and pay when you get there.