Poer arrival and departure changes

pmatawan

Oceania May 21. 2024, Capetown to Lisbon
We will not try to use Oceania custom air again. We could not get the flights we wanted. We were given flights with 1 or 2 stops with  day long waits between flight. We were charged $ 400 for deviation + flight deferential. The Premium  Economy  not qualify because we wanted different flights. It was going to cost us  over $2000. more  for inconvenient flights. It was a waste of time. I requested a refund and just booked direct flights in business class- and saved money.

this happened on our last cruise too, we  will not try again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm sincerely confused. If you "rarely if ever" get off the ship then why do you care if you're in a port or not. Not being snotty, I promise.

Pretty simple, if the majority of the people are off in port then they pretty much have the ship to themselves. In theory. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Pretty simple, if the majority of the people are off in port then they pretty much have the ship to themselves. In theory. 

I read it as the point was that Pinotlover sails for the ports, not the ship. The person responding was reluctant to understand why shaved port times and canceled ports were important when they rarely get off the ship. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

"Quick to criticize, slow to praise."

Not really. Merely a perception based on new age American standards. Do we need to heap praise on someone that merely does their job, or do we save it for those that go above and beyond? Would one heap praise on a Captain that safely got us to port in the midst of a storm, and or like wise on one that did so on a  clear calm day? While I may smile and thank my waiter for delivering my meal, others find it necessary to heap praise and salutation on them for the same act. We’re a country with a lot of students making straight A, while they can barely read or write. Some of us still believe in C, D, and F.

To each their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, daydreamer62 said:

Yes I was just reading similar complaints in the viking boards. With similar theories behind why they ports are being missed or port times shortened 

My post was highlighting that SB currently, and during my past experience with Viking, they both make an effort to compensate in some manner when technical issues affect ports. They address it in a positive manner. I am not seeing nearly the volume of complaints on either of those boards regarding this topic. I can’t see any logical reason why the make up of posters between these three boards would be significantly different. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

My post was highlighting that SB currently, and during my past experience with Viking, they both make an effort to compensate in some manner when technical issues affect ports. They address it in a positive manner. I am not seeing nearly the volume of complaints on either of those boards regarding this topic. I can’t see any logical reason why the make up of posters between these three boards would be significantly different. 

But it does seem from a brief view that they are as noted in a previous post on this subject. The posts on this board area overwhelmingly negative on all subjects and though you can blame it on social media habits that doesn't account for the fact that they other boards on this site are much more positive and helpful with a smattering of negativity while Oceanias is almost the exact opposite. Why. I have no idea. I still have just under 4 months till I sail with them for the first time so im  no judge. Frankly it's quite off-putting as a prospective customer. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ORV said:

We always go ashore I've been under the impression that a number of things are closed. No?

The greatest problem and primary cause lies in the fact that Oceania is horrible in corporate communications. Long been the case. Post Covid, and now with Jr, it seems to be getting worse. If their senior team(s) would honestly and quickly communicate changes and situations as soon as they are recognized, I believe the level of complaints would stabilize so to at least equate with other lines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

But it does seem from a brief view that they are as noted in a previous post on this subject. The posts on this board area overwhelmingly negative on all subjects and though you can blame it on social media habits that doesn't account for the fact that they other boards on this site are much more positive and helpful with a smattering of negativity while Oceanias is almost the exact opposite. Why. I have no idea. I still have just under 4 months till I sail with them for the first time so im  no judge. Frankly it's quite off-putting as a prospective customer. 

I sincerely hope that you have a fantastic cruise. Like you, land vacations are a bit more challenging for us with suitcases (seems to increase with each trip around the sun!), so unpacking twice (we always go in early) is a huge advantage. I hope you report back afterwards. We cancelled a trip for this Spring on O due to medical, but looking at O and SB for next year. These boards to have an impact on our perceptions,  having not sailed them before either. That said, being forewarned is better than blindsided…..being forewarned and then pleasantly surprised being the ultimate goal! 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I sincerely hope that you have a fantastic cruise. Like you, land vacations are a bit more challenging for us with suitcases (seems to increase with each trip around the sun!), so unpacking twice (we always go in early) is a huge advantage. I hope you report back afterwards. We cancelled a trip for this Spring on O due to medical, but looking at O and SB for next year. These boards to have an impact on our perceptions,  having not sailed them before either. That said, being forewarned is better than blindsided…..being forewarned and then pleasantly surprised being the ultimate goal! 

I will certainly report back. But I'm a pretty positive person. I choose not to let any negatives affect me unless of course they are really terrible, and in 4+ decades of travelling that has only happened so rarely that I can't even remember the last time. If something is inadequate I'll always give the supplier a chance to remedy it before I complain to the world about it. The fact we have to fly 27 + hours from New Zealand  every time we go to Europe means you need to enjoy it or what a waste that effort is!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ORV said:

We just arrived 2 hours early in Punta Arenas. How many of you ever report these situations?  Hard to complain about that eh?

Let me try.  😉 

You left Antarctica's continental waters a day early.  Let me think, now...  2 extra hours in Punta Arenas in return?  Yeah, I could complain (well, until you mention how much Drake Shake you avoided 🙂 )

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Let me try.  😉 

You left Antarctica's continental waters a day early.  Let me think, now...  2 extra hours in Punta Arenas in return?  Yeah, I could complain (well, until you mention how much Drake Shake you avoided 🙂 )

+1 , ok was laughing when he posted it!

33 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Let me try.  😉 

Well, on our Antarctica expedition cruise we skipped the Falklands to scurry across the Drake Passage ahead of a big storm....weather was iffy at the Falklands so no guarantee we would be able to tender in and Captain made the decision to skip and steam on.  I will take the Captain's assessment of the seas rather than an arm chair quarterback back home in their easy chair.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, basor said:

Well, on our Antarctica expedition cruise we skipped the Falklands to scurry across the Drake Passage ahead of a big storm....weather was iffy at the Falklands so no guarantee we would be able to tender in and Captain made the decision to skip and steam on.  I will take the Captain's assessment of the seas rather than an arm chair quarterback back home in their easy chair.

Absolutely agree.  I've spent countless days over decades fishing in the North Atlantic year-round in boats much smaller than the Maraina.  I've been beaten up by the sea enough, I'll take the easiest route every time.

• Like 2

I have been following (Lurking?) this form for a while and found the various opinions interesting in advance of our June 2024 Riviera Cruise.

Low an behold we get an email one minute ago advising that "due to Port congestion" our ports have been "changed".  These are ports added after the original itinerary was adjusted in light of the cancelation of Turkish ports.

1) Kotor is moved from June 24 to June 25 .  Time in Kotor is changed from 10am - 6PM to 7 am - 4 pm.  Not a major issue as we have not booked any excursions

2) Dubrovnik is moved from June 25 to June 24 (ie: swapped Kotor and Dubrovnik) 
    Time in Dubrovnik changed from 7 am -3 pm  to 8 am - 6 pm 
    (again not a big deal as nothing booked and it represents a net gain in port of 2 hrs)

3) Ravenna   Time in port changed from 9 am - 8pm to 11 am - 9pm (net loss of 1hour)

What is interesting is I had confirmed the other ships in all our scheduled ports and the passenger numbers when the original change was made.  On the 24th Kotor only had L'Austral (264 passengers) scheduled in port .   Dubrovnik had Royal Clipper (227) Serenade of Seas (2578) and Vista (1469) in port with us.  I imagine Dubrovnik was the sticking point with the city/port authorities.  I will have to see what the latest port schedules show as of today.

Communicated well in advance and none of the changes really impact our plans so we are not upset 

I guess we will have to see what the next few months bring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NCL, Oceania and various other cruise lines all canceled Turkish ports citing safety concerns. Likely related to the current Gaza war along with other issues.  I read somewhere that certain lines have canceled them thru 2025.

14 hours ago, clo said:

I'm sincerely confused. If you "rarely if ever" get off the ship then why do you care if you're in a port or not. Not being snotty, I promise.

Legitimate question.

I have had walking issues for 17 years. We love cruising. We choose small ships because unlike large resorts everything is relatively close at hand. So for us the ship is equivalent to a hotel. 

We tend to choose cruises visiting ‘Islands’ because more often than not at least one side of the ship has lovely views. There are some beautiful ports in Europe particularly. We tend to choose an itinerary with few sea days so we get a change of scenery most days.   Sea days, for us, are equivalent to having a hotel room looking out over a car park ….  not very inspiring! 

Edited by Vallesan

11 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Let me try.  😉 

I guess you missed the extra 18 hours in Ushuaia. Did it make up for it?  Don’t know. According to the Captain we saw everything that was on the agenda for Antarctica . Was that true? Once again I don’t know. I do know that I’m not one of those people that thinks I’m smarter than the Captain. We have enough of them already. 

Of course we left Ushuaia the same time as we were always scheduled to, so if the conspiracy people were right then we would have slowed down to save fuel and got there the two hours later as scheduled. Go figure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The greatest problem and primary cause lies in the fact that Oceania is horrible in corporate communications. Long been the case. Post Covid, and now with Jr, it seems to be getting worse. If their senior team(s) would honestly and quickly communicate changes and situations as soon as they are recognized, I believe the level of complaints would stabilize so to at least equate with other lines.

I think you nailed it. When people are treated as adults, communicated with well reasoned explanations and not some BS, and/or given some compensation, they are much less likely to complain.

Now, to me the real question is: is O really missing ports more than other lines? Or it's mainly a communication/compensation issue? It it's the former, then it's a real concern, and despite great ship experience, would be a deal breaker for us (like you, we travel to see the world, not to be on the ship). If it's the latter, then to me it's just an annoyance. No lie is perfect, but I would still prefer to sail on a line that provides great ship experience and great itineraries, but doesn't communicate well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

No lie is perfect, but I would still prefer to sail on a line that provides great ship experience and great itineraries, but doesn't communicate well.

That is a limitation of lies😏. Applies to lines too. Transparent communications are best. Known (by O if true) itinerary changes that are not communicated until on board seems to be bait and switch, especially if known before full cancellation refund period (but for the $150 pp admin fee). I prefer as much advance notice of known changes as possible because we are primarily DIY or private tour patrons. Late communications (upon boarding) make revising plans, especially with private tour operators, more difficult. Rather be able to adjust plans and communicate with tour providers before I board my flights.

Edited by Hanoj
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

That is a limitation of lies😏. Applies to lines too. Transparent communications are best. Known (by O if true) itinerary changes that are not communicated until on board seems to be bait and switch, especially if known before full cancellation refund period (but for the $150 pp admin fee). I prefer as much advance notice of known changes as possible because we are primarily DIY or private tour patrons. Late communications (upon boarding) make revising plans, especially with private tour operators, more difficult. Rather be able to adjust plans and communicate with tour providers before I board my flights.

Happens on all lines.

SS notified us on cancellation of Qatar 7 weeks before the cruise when they knew about the ban 7 months in advance. People have lost thousands on non refundable tickets to the World Cup.

On 2/7/2024 at 4:39 AM, ORV said:

We just arrived 2 hours early in Punta Arenas. How many of you ever report these situations?  Hard to complain about that eh?

16 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Let me try.  😉 

4 hours ago, ORV said:

I guess you missed the extra 18 hours in Ushuaia…

No fair taking me seriously on that one.

Guess missing those blueberries got to ya?  😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Legitimate question.

I have had walking issues for 17 years. We love cruising. We choose small ships because unlike large resorts everything is relatively close at hand. So for us the ship is equivalent to a hotel. 

We tend to choose cruises visiting ‘Islands’ because more often than not at least one side of the ship has lovely views. There are some beautiful ports in Europe particularly. We tend to choose an itinerary with few sea days so we get a change of scenery most days.   Sea days, for us, are equivalent to having a hotel room looking out over a car park ….  not very inspiring! 

I totally get it. The last few years I've had a couple of medical issues that at this point limit my mobility. We did a Norwegian coastal cruise through Hurtigruten. Their smallest ship, now retired, had 100 pax. I think we walked in most ports but not all. Maybe had lunch. Here's a photo.

norwegianport.jpg