Charges to Seapass Card - 18 year old

I'm bringing my 18 year old niece on a family cruise. Her flight and cruise fare are covered and I've also bought her a soda package as well as the internet for one device.  I don't want her to be able to charge anything with her seapass as those charges would go to my credit card (correct?). Is there a way to set that up?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

When you check in, you can have her add her own credit card.

We're bringing DS's GF and a friend of DD's on our next cruise.  This is exactly what we're going to do.  The steps that are needed to do it, I don't know. 😛 Haven't had to deal with it yet.  

Just now, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We're bringing DS's GF and a friend of DD's on our next cruise.  This is exactly what we're going to do.  The steps that are needed to do it, I don't know. 😛 Haven't had to deal with it yet.  

When you check in, you get to the credit card step, you can add a credit card for each guest. You can have those folks enter their own CC info, you don't have to do it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

When you check in, you can have her add her own credit card.

Unfortunately she doesn't have one. She's a bit of a late bloomer who had a really hard time with life the last few years due to health issues and parental abandonment. She's finally getting it together but no job/no credit card.  

1 minute ago, sjmbruce said:

Unfortunately she doesn't have one. She's a bit of a late bloomer who had a really hard time with life the last few years due to health issues and parental abandonment. She's finally getting it together but no job/no credit card.  

Then you'd have to go to guest services when you board and set that up. Nothing you can do ahead of time.

I had this issue on a recent cruise.  I solved it by making sure they understood that the card would allow them to BUY anything on the ship, but that their MOTHER would be paying me back and they would have to deal with those consequences when they got home.  Fow me it worked out...a few charges in the arcade.  No biggie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Then you'd have to go to guest services when you board and set that up. Nothing you can do ahead of time.

No problem with doing  that, just wondering if Royal would basically deactivate her card from being able to make purchases

4 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I had this issue on a recent cruise.  I solved it by making sure they understood that the card would allow them to BUY anything on the ship, but that their MOTHER would be paying me back and they would have to deal with those consequences when they got home.  Fow me it worked out...a few charges in the arcade.  No biggie.

I'm going to have a very serious conversation with her beforehand and I'm pretty sure she'll do the right thing.  Just wanted to remove the temptation 😆 There's no one to pay me back so I'd just be stuck. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

When you check in, you get to the credit card step, you can add a credit card for each guest. You can have those folks enter their own CC info, you don't have to do it.

I'd love to see a video of "checking in".  While the app was around the last time we checked in, I don't think it was available FOR checking in, if that makes sense.

*I* want to make sure I check us all in (total of three cabins) to select the same boarding time.  I've read conflicting reports on here of how much "checking in" needs to be done before you get to boarding time selection.  So would this mean I need everyone's credit card?  

I hope to take screen shots through the process and actually post what happens on each screen.  I'm really surprised no one has done that yet. 

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'd love to see a video of "checking in".  While the app was around the last time we checked in, I don't think it was available FOR checking in, if that makes sense.

*I* want to make sure I check us all in (total of three cabins) to select the same boarding time.  I've read conflicting reports on here of how much "checking in" needs to be done before you get to boarding time selection.  So would this mean I need everyone's credit card?  

I hope to take screen shots through the process and actually post what happens on each screen.  I'm really surprised no one has done that yet. 

Assuming your reservations are linked, you can go into the app (not website, as it forces you to do other stuff first) as soon as check-in opens and grab the boarding time for all the reservations, then go back later and fill in everything else. 

Just when it is time to check in, click on the person icon and check in from there. The big check-in icon at the bottom of the main app screen doesn't always recognize check-in is open.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

I'm going to have a very serious conversation with her beforehand and I'm pretty sure she'll do the right thing.  Just wanted to remove the temptation 😆 There's no one to pay me back so I'd just be stuck. 

You can also monitor her expenses on the TV in your stateroom. If she's charging things she shouldn't be, you might be able to nip it in the bud early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

I'm bringing my 18 year old niece on a family cruise. Her flight and cruise fare are covered and I've also bought her a soda package as well as the internet for one device.  I don't want her to be able to charge anything with her seapass as those charges would go to my credit card (correct?). Is there a way to set that up?

Yes, as others have mentioned you can visit guest services and deactivate her card with the exception of the arcade.

For whatever reason even de activating the card will not stop t from working in the arcade.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:29 PM, sjmbruce said:

She can also do a cash account once onboard.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

@toxicfairy

Is there a certain amount of money required for a cash account? If so, how much?

Yes $500 on a week long cruise. My hubby hates to have credit card charges or holds so we always do a cash account. However he always puts a few hundred down the first day the. They let us know when/ if we need to put more. Plus you can see your account on the TV in your cabin to keep track of your spending and also see if there are any mistakes.

Edited by toxicfairy
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 1:29 PM, sjmbruce said:

Then maybe the nice thing to do would be to treat her on your card. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allie3490 said:

Then maybe the nice thing to do would be to treat her on your card. 

I'm already treating her to airfare, a cruise, and an internet/soda package. I am being plenty nice. I don't mind buying her a coffee or giving her a small daily budget, but I don't want her thinking she's 18 and on a cruise with an unlimited magic card. 

• Like 3