Alcohol Packages Someone in Recovery

roxannex

I originally booked zero proof packages because my traveling partner is in recovery and I thought I could not book separately. (They are fine with me drinking.) Then I  swore I saw here that some people were able to book separately in this case. But I just called and was told the only exceptions were pregnancy and minors. I just thought I’d check here to see if that was accurate since I really thought some people here said they had made an exception. Honestly, I probably would not drink close to making the package worth it so it’s their loss! But I considered getting it just to not have to think about it. 

We're booked on Ascent leaving next Sunday. I have non-alcoholic/zero proof package. DH has premium alcohol. I had to call to purchase but it was allowed when I did it December 23, 2023. No questions asked. I simply said I do not drink alcohol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roxannex said:

I originally booked zero proof packages because my traveling partner is in recovery and I thought I could not book separately. (They are fine with me drinking.) Then I  swore I saw here that some people were able to book separately in this case. But I just called and was told the only exceptions were pregnancy and minors. I just thought I’d check here to see if that was accurate since I really thought some people here said they had made an exception. Honestly, I probably would not drink close to making the package worth it so it’s their loss! But I considered getting it just to not have to think about it. 

Call up and ask...

Screenshot_20240128_161713_Chrome.jpg

Ok. Thank you. I’m not 100% sure it’s worth it. Like I said, they were dumb to say no because I don’t even drink very much. I just thought it would be nice not to think about it. 

You were right and the guy was an absolute jerk and refused to put me through to his supervisor—said they would not speak to me and would tell me the same thing, with major attitude. He said it wasn’t true and then when I read out the information he was a total jerk and said this must be new and I said I don’t think so. Wow. I declined to purchase the package with him because I was honestly surprised he’d been so rude to me? And I told him that. How weird. I was trying to spend MORE money! I will think about it but did not want to deal with that guy again. 😞

@roxannex My wife can't drink because of a-fib. I'm not even doing the non-alcohol package because I have finally broken the soda addiction. Regular iced tea and coffee are fine with me. We will bring ginger ale for my motion-sensitive wife.

As to alcohol, I will bring 1 bottle of wine (nice little pinot noir, my wife likes the bouquet) for my minimal wine needs (leave bottle in cabin and take glass to dinner = no corkage fee). I also bought a 1 liter bottle of Glenlivet as a "gift" to our cabin (got it at 20% off during a sale; bonus: no gratuity!), so I won't be spending any money on board. Total investment in beverages, about $140.

Here's the alcohol gift link if you want to have a bottle delivered to your cabin:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-gifts/items-results?category=SPIRIT&collection=LIQUORPKG

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2

Thanks. 🙂 I’d honestly just decided to do the in stateroom bar setup. I don’t drink wine. I don’t really drink that much. But my traveling partner said it was much more triggering to have the bottle in the room than for me to drink while they had mocktails. I think this is a sign. Wow. I’m sorry. I’m still a little confounded why they were so rude and dismissive. I unfortunately had the misfortune to speak to the same person and he was clearly very angry that I called back and then asked to speak to a supervisor. I understand they don’t want people sharing drinks. But he was very rude and dismissive when I was trying to spend more money.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roxannex said:

Thanks. 🙂 I’d honestly just decided to do the in stateroom bar setup. I don’t drink wine. I don’t really drink that much. But my traveling partner said it was much more triggering to have the bottle in the room than for me to drink while they had mocktails. I think this is a sign. Wow. I’m sorry. I’m still a little confounded why they were so rude and dismissive. I unfortunately had the misfortune to speak to the same person and he was clearly very angry that I called back and then asked to speak to a supervisor. I understand they don’t want people sharing drinks. But he was very rude and dismissive when I was trying to spend more money.

There should be no problem with you getting a package, and them not.  Our friend does it every trip.  He gets the soda package, or whatever, and his wife gets the classic with the booze.  Also, 3000 people walking around and lounging around all day throughout the ship with cocktails, might be a bit triggering also.  

30 minutes ago, roxannex said:

That is absolutely unacceptable behavior.   In the future make note of the agent's name and address them by name so the agent knows you have made note.   If your receive such rude service send a note to the executive office with his name and the type service you received.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@roxannex My wife won't do mocktails because they are all so sugary (calories!), and she can't have artif sweeteners. Back when she could drink, she didn't seem so concerned about the sugar in mixers!

I understand the sensitivity to triggers for someone in recovery. Very different than my wife's medical prohibition.

I hope you both have a fun and carefree cruise!

• Like 1

Thank you! I’m just going to let this go! Better for my wallet in the long run anyway! I will probably end up drinking maybe two vodka and club sodas a day, so it’s better anyway. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/28/2024 at 4:47 PM, mayleeman said:

@roxannex My wife can't drink because of a-fib. I'm not even doing the non-alcohol package because I have finally broken the soda addiction. Regular iced tea and coffee are fine with me. We will bring ginger ale for my motion-sensitive wife.

As to alcohol, I will bring 1 bottle of wine (nice little pinot noir, my wife likes the bouquet) for my minimal wine needs (leave bottle in cabin and take glass to dinner = no corkage fee). I also bought a 1 liter bottle of Glenlivet as a "gift" to our cabin (got it at 20% off during a sale; bonus: no gratuity!), so I won't be spending any money on board. Total investment in beverages, about $140.

Here's the alcohol gift link if you want to have a bottle delivered to your cabin:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-gifts/items-results?category=SPIRIT&collection=LIQUORPKG

Have you received this recently? Good deal if it is still available.

• Thanks 1

I got one classic alcohol package and one non alcoholic package for my cabin 

Just called and asked for the non alcoholic package because my doctor said to quit drinking alcohol 

No problem and though I offered to bring proof was told that it was not necessary 

• Like 1

They will also offer a Bill W meeting onboard so tell your sober spouse to be on the lookout for this meeting.  Only 2 of us showed up for the meeting on a cruise I took in December 2023 but maybe more will show up on your cruise. Have a great cruise!

5 hours ago, XSWABBY said:

Have you received this recently? Good deal if it is still available.

You know what? Your question made me realize I made a mistake. I got the sale on our scheduled Murano dinner at about the same time I got the Glenlivet gift.

The Glenlivet was originally the "room set up" which was priced at $130 or something near that. After reading @Jim_Iain's post about the gift liquors not including gratuity, I switched to the Glenlivet in that offer. The lack of gratuity is where my 20% saving came from, not a sale. 

Sorry for the confusion! I do see the liquor gifts are still available.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you did get a rude agent, you are right in stating that their policy does allow for 1 person to be zero proof whilst the other can have alcohol if recovering, medical reasons, pregnancy or as a minor.  When I contacted an agent back in February 2023 initially they said I couldn't downgrade my AI to alcohol free whilst by husband stayed on the classic package.  Like you I pointed out their policy and explained I can't take alcohol for medical reasons, still a bit reluctant, I then asked who I give the medical certificate to stating I can't drink alcohol (as per their policy) - the agent then downgraded me to zero alcohol policy and my husband is happy he can have his drinks.

Hi! I actually did call back yesterday and was able to make the changes. This person was really nice, and although it took a bit of time to get it sorted out, all was good! Thank you. I don't know why that first person was so mean. Maybe having a bad day? But this person I talked to was very nice. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roxannex, just check your travelling partner's seapass to make sure it's showing the correct package when you embark.   Mine was showing Classic instead of Zero Proof (only found out when I went to get water).  I went to Conceirge desk & was told that we'd both have to be on premium & i couldn't be on zero.  I pointed out that I can't take alcohol due to medical reasons & I have a doctors certificate with me in my room.  I was then reissued with the zero alcohol seapass.