Newark Airport/Port to Broadway?

I am from CA where everything is far apart.

I have never been to NY or NJ.

I am trying to convince my husband to fly in a day before our cruise (We are currently on a red eye and land at 7am in Newark.)

As a music teacher I've always wanted to see Broadway, maybe even see a musical there.  

How far away is Newark airport/port to Broadway?

There is a hotel close to the Newark airport correct?  I've heard there is nothing close to the port.

• Like 1

Here things are measured more in minutes than miles. I live 10 miles from the Lincoln tunnel, it can take 30 minutes to over an hour to get in. You could stay at the doubletree in Newark, take the train from the airport, and then the path from right by the hotel to manhattan. Jersey city/weehawken hotels are right across the river from manhattan, you can take a path train from there, or a ferry. Cabs do not like going back and forth and if you can find one it will be pricy (they’re not allowed to bring folks from NY back to NJ and vice versa). 

Hey! I saw your post over at the other blog and replied there, but I'm relatively new to that board, so you'll have to wait for a moderator to approve my response. 

Copied and posted here too, in case they're slow:

It's really easy to get into the city from Newark.  Penn Station is on 34th st. in Manhattan and a 45 minute train ride from the Newark Airport. You could also grab the PATH train and head in. You'd go through the World Trade Center station on your way to midtown. 

If you want to see a show, I recommend downloading the TodayTix app first. You'll find some of your best discounts there. 

@Minuet888 If you want to see a particular Broadway show, I would purchase tickets ahead of time. 
Sometimes you can get tickets the day of the show at the theater box office , but that is taking a chance as the show may be sold out or have limited seating.

There is also a TKTS booth in Times Square that offer discounted day of performance tickets, but the choice of shows may be limited and there is usually a long line.

I would stay near the airport. You can commute into NYC from Newark.

There are no hotels in the immediate Bayonne port area. 
You would have to go to the hotel first after landing in Newark. Usual check in isn’t until 3 or 4 PM. You could ask if the hotel will stow your bags while you go into the City.

The front desk or concierge should be able to give you directions to travel into the City. 
MJ

Go for it!  You can take a bus from EWR to the city pretty cheap just google it.  Taxi/uber/train etc.    The first time I took the train from EWR to Penn Station I was so clueless but New Yorkers pretty helpful.

My question is which show will you see?    I booked at the Marriott Marquis (may be overstimulating haha) and taking teens to Hamilton right around the corner.   They’ve been listening to the songs for years now so there was that.   Also fitting in one other show, staying two nights in NYC.   

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

One important missing bit of information is the cruise terminal from which OP will sail. Unless it is Bayonne, it is insane to think about New Jersey hotels  -  especially since a Broadway show might be in the mix.

I think since the OP said "There is a hotel close to the Newark airport correct?  I've heard there is nothing close to the port." it was reasonable to assume they're sailing from Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I think since the OP said "There is a hotel close to the Newark airport correct?  I've heard there is nothing close to the port." it was reasonable to assume they're sailing from Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

You make a good point.   But a lot of folks will book the most convenient/ inexpensive flight to any NY airport without considering all aspects.

And even if the cruise is from Bayonne, a Manhattan hotel might fit better with an evening Broadway show - because either way OP will have to get back to Jersey either late in the evening after the show, or mid-morning to the pier.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You make a good point.   But a lot of folks will book the most convenient/ inexpensive flight to any NY airport without considering all aspects.

And even if the cruise is from Bayonne, a Manhattan hotel might fit better with an evening Broadway show - because either way OP will have to get back to Jersey either late in the evening after the show, or mid-morning to the pier.

I should have added that some of the OP's other posts mention sailing on the  Symphony of the Seas on May 31...which is definitely a cruise from Cape Liberty.

For a  one night stay I'm not sure i agree with staying at a Manhattan hotel. They'd have to schlep their luggage into Manhattan and then right back to NJ the next morning. If they were to stay at the DoubleTree Newark Penn Station they could take the free hotel shuttle from EWR to the hotel, then because the hotel is connected to the railroad station to get to a Broadway show it's an easy NJ Transit ride from New Penn to NY Penn, which is only a walk or a short taxi ride or even a short subway ride to the Theater District. On embarkation morning it's an easy and inexpensive Uber ride to Cape Liberty.

For more than one night I'd agree with staying in Manhattan rather than NJ.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 3:08 AM, Aj101 said:

Go for it!  You can take a bus from EWR to the city pretty cheap just google it.  Taxi/uber/train etc.    The first time I took the train from EWR to Penn Station I was so clueless but New Yorkers pretty helpful.

There is a direct bus from EWR to Manhattan with stops at Port Authority Bus Terminal, Bryant Park on 42 st and Grand Central station.  It runs about every half hour.  Very convenient and hassle free.  All three stops are a short walk to the theater district.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

There is a direct bus from EWR to Manhattan with stops at Port Authority Bus Terminal, Bryant Park on 42 st and Grand Central station.  It runs about every half hour.  Very convenient and hassle free.  All three stops are a short walk to the theater district.

But they will still have their luggage if they plan on staying in NJ.