All Connecticut cruisers...Which way to the pier do you use.

It depends on where you are and your access to Metro North. If I wanted to save some money I would park at my local Metro North Station that has $4 daily long term parking and jump on the train to Grand Central Terminal and then take a cab over to the pier from there. If money wasn't an issue I would call up a local car service and make arrangements with them for transportation. They will also be able to plan a pick up for you at the end of the trip. Most of my local car services won't go into the city for less than $175 because they can't necessarily pick someone up for the fare back. 

We will be driving and parking at the pier for our upcoming trip, the parking cost was less than the daily rate when I booked in advance making it cheaper than taking a car service. If you don't mind driving that might be a good option. 

I would like to drive but parking at the pier is like 45 dollars a day and it would be for 10 days. Taking the train is a option but need to take a Uber to one station and transfer to another station to go to Grand Central and then take a Uber to the pier. Taking my grandson so want to do something easy.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, puffinsmom said:

I would like to drive but parking at the pier is like 45 dollars a day and it would be for 10 days. Taking the train is a option but need to take a Uber to one station and transfer to another station to go to Grand Central and then take a Uber to the pier. Taking my grandson so want to do something easy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Some have reported making a 10 day reservation in advance and having it cost less than $45 a day, give it a try. Call a car service and see if it’s going to be more than $200 each way.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, puffinsmom said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I just checked and if you book parking online for your departure date, for the lot at the cruise port it is only $315 for the duration of the cruise. That is way less than the posted $45/day rate that is out there. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, puffinsmom said:

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m not sure what you meant by transferring to another station to get to Grand Central.  If you are thinking of Amtrak and then transferring Metronorth- why not take Amtrak to Penn Station, then a yellow cab to the pier. Once in NYC, at either station, taxis are plentiful.

• Like 1

I would have to take a uber to Derby CT  train station and then change over at Bridgeport CT train station to go to Grand Central and then uber to pier. The Derby train does go directly to Grand Central station.

I would have to take a Uber to Derby CT  train station and then change over at Bridgeport CT train station to go to Grand Central and then Uber to pier. The Derby train does go directly to Grand Central station.

Check Amtrak out, if you purchase you can get fares less than what MetroNorth charges and you can have the crew call ahead for Red Cap service to help with your bags at Penn Station. There is service at Bridgeport BRP to NYP here is random March 3rd morning trips

image.thumb.png.dc556937873206bb2532e8b9a964b82d.png

• Like 1

We have a post from yesterday about how easy it was to walk from the pier to Penn Station

probably just as easy to do it the other way

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Check Amtrak out, if you purchase you can get fares less than what MetroNorth charges and you can have the crew call ahead for Red Cap service to help with your bags at Penn Station. There is service at Bridgeport BRP to NYP here is random March 3rd morning trips

image.thumb.png.dc556937873206bb2532e8b9a964b82d.png

Good suggestion - Penn Station is closer to MCT, Northeast Regional (Amtrak) is more comfortable than Metronorth, and fares are comparable.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the info ..........never take the train so get confused. So Penn Station is closer than Grand Central? I think I will just Uber to Bridgeport train station and go from there.  Will leave extra early hope me and the grandson get there. We are leaving Friday gotta get there by 2 pm

• Like 1

8 hours ago, puffinsmom said:

Thanks all for the info ..........never take the train so get confused. So Penn Station is closer than Grand Central? 

MetroNorth from Connecticut does not go to Penn Station and Amtrak does not go to Grand Central.

Phyiscally Grand Central Station is further north and east on 42nd Street between Park Ave and Lexington Ave. Penn Station south and west but if taking Amtrak arrival is in the Moynihan Train Hall at Penn Station on 34th Street between 8th and 9th Aves. Address is 350 W 33rd St, New York, NY 10001.

There is no connection between the two Commuter rail stations, though technically doable it would require multiple trains and a trip out to Jamaica Queens for a transfer back into Manhattan. 

5 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

MetroNorth from Connecticut does not go to Penn Station and Amtrak does not go to Grand Central.

Phyiscally Grand Central Station is further north and east on 42nd Street between Park Ave and Lexington Ave. Penn Station south and west but if taking Amtrak arrival is in the Moynihan Train Hall at Penn Station on 34th Street between 8th and 9th Aves. Address is 350 W 33rd St, New York, NY 10001.

There is no connection between the two Commuter rail stations, though technically doable it would require multiple trains and a trip out to Jamaica Queens for a transfer back into Manhattan. 

Hardly “…multiple trains and a trip out to Jamaica Queens…” - just take the 7th Ave IRT one stop from Penn Station to 42’nd Street then the shuttle (one stop) to Grand Central.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Hardly “…multiple trains and a trip out to Jamaica Queens…” - just take the 7th Ave IRT one stop from Penn Station to 42’nd Street then the shuttle (one stop) to Grand Central.

Not single ticket MNRR/LIRR ride which will come up on the train app.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:13 AM, puffinsmom said:

Thanks all for the info ..........never take the train so get confused. So Penn Station is closer than Grand Central? I think I will just Uber to Bridgeport train station and go from there.  Will leave extra early hope me and the grandson get there. We are leaving Friday gotta get there by 2 pm

Cruiser from Bridgeport here.    I take the metro north to grand central and hop on a taxi to get to the pier.  very easy.   Fare on the metro north train from Bridgeport is $15-20 one way.  Taxi fare the last time i went was around $25 from grand central to pier 88. 

• Like 2

Thanks so much!!!   Will take Uber to Bridgeport and then taxi to the pier. Going tomorrow with the grandson .......I guess we should get to Bridgeport by 8:30. We have to be there by 1:30.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Not single ticket MNRR/LIRR ride which will come up on the train app.

Why would you consider two commuter train rides - taking probably an hour - to get from Penn Station to Grand Central, rather than a15 minute (or less) subway ride?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why would you consider two commuter train rides - taking probably an hour - to get from Penn Station to Grand Central, rather than a15 minute (or less) subway ride?

Not considering it, but it comes up in the MyMTA App as one of the trips as well as MNRR to Subway and even Amtrak to Penn all in the MTA App. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from the cruise .......paid someone 120 to drive to pier. Today came back and paid $16.00 plus tip (taxi) to Grand Central, $26 for my grandson and me to take train to Bridgeport and then to Derby train station and then gave $20 to daughters friend to drop me home. So coming home was less expensive. Glad I'm home I slipped getting off the slide and hurt my elbow and side/back ready bad. All bruised up. They should not allow any body over 65 to go on it! LOL They took me to the medical deck but found out my cruise insurance does not cover it so did not get checked out. They kept asking if they could do anything but did not want to spend a whole lot of money on it. 

• Like 1