Taking friends on their first cruise

alijay

I have cruised many times, mostly on Princess, but not in the last 5 years.  I am a single woman and will be taking a couple on their first cruise.  How should I decide which cruise to take them on as a first experience?  I'm thinking 4-5 days to give them enough time to get a real taste of what a cruie is like, but short enough that if they don't like it, it won't be too long.  I think a mix of sight seeing and relaxing.  What questions should I ask them to make sure we find the right cruise for them?  

Thank you.  

What does the couple like, what line will fit them? 4-5 days on some lines will be a big party. I like my cruises to be at least 8 days because it gives me the vibe I want. What destination type are they into? What type of service do they expect? Do they want to dress up or are they casual? 

there are so many questions that need answers in order to find the right cruise for someone. I a have friends who I would only recommend Celebrity to and others I know RCI will be a better fit but personally I am enjoying NCL for myself right now. There’s a line for everyone. For cruises I think it’s nice to experience one or two sea days but not much more unless they are looking to spend a good part of their vacation with a book in hand.

• Like 1

I think 4-5 days is NOT enough time to get a real taste of cruising! Week minimum. 

Ask how they rank food, entertainment, pool time, "atmosphere". Atmosphere as in Party? or Subdued? Large/medium/small Ship? All inclusive or nearly?

And of course, the question of cost both of the cruise and getting to port at least a day ahead of time, unless you all live near the port must loom eventually.

I would never take first time cruisers on the newest, biggest ship.  Even the smallest is going to seem huge to them.  All the options might be overwhelming.  And it would not be a cruise shorter than a week.  Party cruises are not a good introduction unless you are a frantic party person.  EM

• Like 3

You say you have cruised many times, mostly on Princess, which makes you an experienced cruiser, but primarily on one cruise line.  Unless you are going to suggest only Princess to them, how familiar are you with all of the other options such as RCCL, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, HAL, MSC, etc.?  I ask - and maybe am playing a little devils advocate - because it sounds like you are taking on the role of a travel advisor in helping determine a cruise line that would be a good fit for them.  This may be difficult for you and with a narrow focus that may not best understand other cruise lines' experience in determining the best suggestion for them.

I say all this not to challenge your intentions, but to suggest that maybe you should all talk with a travel agent who specializes in cruises and can be in the best position to ask all the right questions to help determine the best couple of lines for your friends (and you) to consider for their first cruise.  This also would take the burden off of you and any concerns should their first experience not live up to expectations.  Just a thought to consider.

• Like 1

There are a lot of articles on "What cruise line is right for you" and YouTube videos that rank the different cruise lines too. There are so many lines that I can't begin to list them all and I'm not familiar with a lot of them except from reading about them so I won't even try to. 😄 

A lot of first-time cruisers on the East Coast go on Caribbean cruises and the Mexican Riveria is popular for first-time cruisers on the West Coast. The reason is that you are going to get a good balance of sea days to port days, there are a lot of shorter cruises, and it's not *too* exotic.

Are your friends well-traveled? If so, you want to go someplace they haven't been before. Do they want a cruise with a lot of families or one where children are scarce? Do you think your friends will be overwhelmed on a cruise with 5000-7000 people or bored on a cruise without a climbing wall, go-cart cart, and massive water slides?

Just so many questions, and all great ones asked above.

The only thing that I want to add, is that I agree with 4-5 days is too short.  If they want to try cruising, then I would do a 7 or 8 day cruise as a minimum to give them a good taste.

I would add, do they have any hesitation going on a cruise?  Are there any reasons that they have not in the past gone on a cruise?  This might help you to know what line and what itinerary to take them on?

I have had friends tell me - that have never cruised - that they don't go on cruises because:

* Too much lining up
* Too structured
* Not enough time in each port or country

* They are just big non-stop parties

* Too many people...

I think if you can understand if they have any hesitations, and what they are, then you might be able to pick the right line and itinerary.

For me, if you were to take me on my first cruise, I would never want a Caribbean itinerary, because I don't like the heat, I don't like beaches, swimming, or anything related to beaches, and I have seen all I ever in my life want to see in the Caribbean.  I went on a Panama Canal cruise a year ago, and the only segment of that cruise that I enjoyed was Panama City because I had never been there before and the actual crossing of the canal.  The rest of the Western Caribbean was wasted time for me.  I am only saying this to make a point of knowing what they don't like may be more helpful than what you think they might like.

• Like 1