Canadian $ vs U.S. $ in Caribbean

CANDYAPPLE

54 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Just did a mock booking on a Nov. '24 Eclipse, Concierge Prime, Refundable, Grats in, Cruise Only.   Close as I could come.

X exchange rate 1.4125 2/22 Bank exchange 1.38
Cruise Cost CAD $6,106.10   $6,108.95  
USD $4,324.92     $5,995.20
Difference CAD $1,781.18     $113.75

I see nothing unusual here.  If you purchased the cruise in USD using your credit card, there is an excellent chance that the total exchange rate you'd end up paying is 1.38 * 1.025 = 1.415; pretty much what X is doing.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I see nothing unusual here.  If you purchased the cruise in USD using your credit card, there is an excellent chance that the total exchange rate you'd end up paying is 1.38 * 1.025 = 1.415; pretty much what X is doing.

Which is pretty much what I said in my post in trying to help your post #21.  Since you already had the answer I suppose I wasted my time.

Edited by Oceangoer2

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Which is pretty much what I said in my post in trying to help your post #21.  Since you already had the answer I suppose I wasted my time.

Evidently I misunderstood the part about Canadians paying more for their cruises than Americans.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Evidently I misunderstood the part about Canadians paying more for their cruises than Americans.  

I just saved the equivalent of about $800 pp CAD on a Viking cruise I recently booked for March 2025 by booking in USD.  Same cabin, inclusions, etc.  Worked for us, especially since we have the US funds already to pay for it, but even just converting the funds that day and putting them aside for final payment we would have been ahead that amount.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bookbabe said:

I just saved the equivalent of about $800 pp CAD on a Viking cruise I recently booked for March 2025 by booking in USD.  Same cabin, inclusions, etc.  Worked for us, especially since we have the US funds already to pay for it, but even just converting the funds that day and putting them aside for final payment we would have been ahead that amount.

I agree...paying in US $$ is best.  We buy when the rates are good.  I found in my example a difference of $1780 but after purchasing US it was only $113 savings.  How did you factor in the purchase cost so that it came out the same savings?

Edited by Oceangoer2

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I agree...paying in US $$ is best.  We buy when the rates are good.  I found in my example a difference of $1780 but after purchasing US it was only $113 savings.  How did you factor in the purchase cost so that it came out the same savings?

We were having to buy CAD or use a USD credit card to make the CAD payment, since we moved outside of Canada last summer but still had some bookings in CAD.  So I didn't factor in any currency exchange fees since that would have made my savings unreasonably high due to the double conversion needed.

The price difference I quoted was the straight CAD price my booking was in converted to USD via google, versus the straight USD my new booking was in, and then I subtracted the $25pp cancellation fee for switching the booking.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Sometimes you can get better deal booking CAD over USD , like this case on Exciting deals 

or do you think the IT department screwed up 🤔🤣

IMG_6902.thumb.jpeg.553f9d977180798a301ac8fe0ad8d715.jpeg

Oceanview seems about right, but definitely a miss on the Inside cabins, or it's a special promotion for Canadians?  But if I were interested I'd jump on it and attach the 'proof' in this document.

Edited by Oceangoer2