Noise levels in venues

Britter16

1 minute ago, sunviking90 said:

I agree. I love a nice quiet place to sit and read. It seems strange that a group of people who want to socialize with each other loudly will go into a place where everyone is reading in silence. Read the room!

Agree.  OTOH, there are those who sit in the piazza or other busy areas, every day….reading and not ordering anything.  So odd.  Complaining of the noise.  😀

Of course, you can sit wherever you want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

It seems strange that a group of people who want to socialize with each other loudly will go into a place where everyone is reading in silence.

Just to give another perspective - my husband is hard of hearing and loud venues make any group conversation extremely difficult. Our friends and we will often go to a quiet spot to have a conversation, which I suppose you would find annoying. It's not a library!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, burnabyjean said:

Just to give another perspective - my husband is hard of hearing and loud venues make any group conversation extremely difficult. Our friends and we will often go to a quiet spot to have a conversation, which I suppose you would find annoying. It's not a library!

Understood, but I’m talking about Skywalkers, which is literally the only place that has no music playing in the daytime (distracting for reading). There are numerous other lounges, etc that are not “loud” that may be good for conversation. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Understood, but I’m talking about Skywalkers, which is literally the only place that has no music playing in the daytime (distracting for reading). There are numerous other lounges, etc that are not “loud” that may be good for conversation. 

Actually, on the Emerald a few weeks ago, Skywatchers was being used for a while by a "private event" and music most definitely was being played, and loudly. We evacuated pretty quickly. Still, in general, it is certainly in one of the very best venues for peace and quiet on ships so equipped, and you can't beat that view....

• Like 2

When Princess first started to highlight the Piazza's it was a space for "street" performers - acrobats, jugglers, etc. Shortly thereafter, the street performers disappeared from the ships and were replaced by the ubiquitous "party bands". The problem as I see and hear it, is that the Piazza is really no place for an amplified band - there's no sound absorption - all marble, glass, and steel, so the sound (more like noise to these ears) is trebly and shrill. There are also not many seats available there, so it seems the majority of folks hanging around there are standing. 

Meanwhile, venues like the Explorers, Fusion, Vista to name a few are often empty. All of these other venues have a stage, sound system, and dance floor just for that purpose.

On the newer ships, some genius in HQ had the bright idea to position the pay restaurants off the atrium open to the cacophony from below - not a great idea at all - and a deal-breaker for us as to actually booking anything in one.

I agree with some who advocated to complain - maybe eventually the Piazza's will go back to being a nice place to relax, with some activity, but no party bands.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, loge23 said:

When Princess first started to highlight the Piazza's it was a space for "street" performers - acrobats, jugglers, etc. Shortly thereafter, the street performers disappeared from the ships and were replaced by the ubiquitous "party bands". The problem as I see and hear it, is that the Piazza is really no place for an amplified band - there's no sound absorption - all marble, glass, and steel, so the sound (more like noise to these ears) is trebly and shrill. There are also not many seats available there, so it seems the majority of folks hanging around there are standing. 

Meanwhile, venues like the Explorers, Fusion, Vista to name a few are often empty. All of these other venues have a stage, sound system, and dance floor just for that purpose.

On the newer ships, some genius in HQ had the bright idea to position the pay restaurants off the atrium open to the cacophony from below - not a great idea at all - and a deal-breaker for us as to actually booking anything in one.

I agree with some who advocated to complain - maybe eventually the Piazza's will go back to being a nice place to relax, with some activity, but no party bands.

That is why we prefer the older ships where venues like Sabatini’s and Crown Grill are not right on the atrium area

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I agree. I love a nice quiet place to sit and read. It seems strange that a group of people who want to socialize with each other loudly will go into a place where everyone is reading in silence. Read the room!

Last year on Grand Princess we were sitting in the Atrium reading and listening to the two violinists play. There were maybe 10 other people doing the same thing and a few just sitting and listening to the music. It was really nice. The a couple of guys came and sat down in the middle of the folks who were reading and enjoying the music. These guys started talking loudly about the "losers" who were there "pretending to like music" when they were actually just reading and ignoring the music. They went on and on and on despite the looks they got from the folks who had been enjoying the music.

Yes, one can read and listen to music at the same time. Many would offer quiet applause at the end of each musical selection. The two clods who couldn't understand this were not only not enjoying the music (how could they when their loud comments were overriding the music?) but were keeping everybody else from enjoying the music as well. We felt bad for the performers who had gone from an appreciative audience to a couple of non-stop talking loudmouths. I had to conclude that they were not the type of "losers" who would ever "waste their time" on something as stupid as reading.

• Haha 1

This is somewhat of an over simplification but overly high noise levels everywhere on board on most mass market ship is yet another reason not to cruise on genormous of the seas type ships.

DON

• Like 1

No one had said much about the theater and the sound levels. When the singers as they do today scream not sing and then have it amplified it can be unbearable. When your ears start to hurt there is a problem.