Introduction to Rome excursion duration

kmw350

Can anyone who has been on the 'Introduction to Rome' excursion, please confirm the duration of the trip? In one place it says 'full day, 9.5hrs, but further down it says 'half day tour'.

I tried emailing Cunard but have received no reply.

Thanks

The real question you should ask is how long you will be traveling on a bus to/from Rome from the port. It’s a hike with terrible traffic. I hold that Rome is not a great cruise port as compared to Naples and Barcelona. 

A lot of time will be just sitting on the bus there and back -  although the trip itself is 1/2day, the rest is travel time.  Rome traffic is seriously terrible. I’m on QV in June and will either wander round Civitavecchia or do one of the other tours that don’t go to Rome. 

We did that trip. I guess folks need to do Rome once. I'd never do it again as a cruise excursion. . Too much bus time. About the dirtiest city we have ever been in. 

We are there in June also won't do Rome. 

• Like 1

If you've never been to Rome, you have to do it. It's a bit like your only visit to Egypt on a cruise and you never see the pyramids!

We weren't on a cruise and were staying in a fabulous hotel in Fiuggi which is about an hour out of Rome. The hotel arranged a limo/driver and guide for a full day's tour. We had priority admission [called 'skip the line' tickets now] to a couple of the sights  which were well worth arranging and ticked off all the sights on the bucket list.

So

Been there, done it, seen the sights. Sorted. Won't be fussed about going back.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

A lot of time will be just sitting on the bus there and back -  although the trip itself is 1/2day, the rest is travel time.  Rome traffic is seriously terrible. I’m on QV in June and will either wander round Civitavecchia or do one of the other tours that don’t go to Rome. 

There’s quite an agreeable half day vineyard trip I seem to remember.

If you have never been to Rome and wish to see it, then it's a no brainer...

But it's a long ''boot camp'' kinda day on the Ship Excursion, and if you have just done Livorno (Florence) they day before, and perhaps Naples on the next day you will be knackered LOL, but it's what you do on a Grand Tour Voyage to see the sights !
The Ship's Tour maybe more comfy but subject to traffic conditions. 
Or,
My other suggestion for Rome is you could do it on your own and go there by fast early train to the Rome San Pietro Station (the stop nearby for the Vatican and St Peters) and of course, a good place to start is at St Peter's Square & The Vatican, and then later, go and see what other sights are on your Rome wishlist.
Some suggestions: 

The Roman Forum and The Colosseum:  
The Pantheon:
The Monument to Victor Emmanuel II and Mussolini's balcony, both on the Piazza Venezia:
Via Veneto:

Trevi Fountain and The Spanish Steps:  

You get the train back from Rome Termini. 
The faster InterCity and Frecciabianca express trains which carry a £Supplement are quicker and worth getting to go back on, especially if you are tired. 
The Ship usually sails later in the evening when on Rome calls.

The ships docks at Civitavecchia and sometimes it's not walkable to the Town, nor to the Railway station. 
The shuttle buses go to a point in, or near the town centre, then the Station can still be quite a walk from there.

If you see Taxis at the Port then grab one for the Station.
Day Rail Tickets can be bought that include the Bus and Tram in the City.

If you choose to go it alone then do pre-book a Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel/St Peter's Basilica Guided Tour in English - well worth it, and a small group tour costs around 30e pp.

• Like 1

Just now, Liberal_Baggie said:

We’re going in Aug on q Anne but not to Rome it’s too much heat and too long a day to recommend. Rome is best done over a week if you have the time. Any one have any beach based times for that Port Call?

49 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

We’re going in Aug on q Anne but not to Rome it’s too much heat and too long a day to recommend. Rome is best done over a week if you have the time. Anyone have any beach based times for that Port Call?

There are beaches close to the town and one opposite the station (pebbly?),
but better ones are pretty and a bit further down the Coast

santa marinella
Santa marinella beach is one,and nearby Santa Severa.
You can go by train (a couple of stops)

Its AUG so expect beaches to be busy.

4 hours ago, rog747 said:

My other suggestion for Rome is you could do it on your own and go there by fast early train

I have spent much time in Italy (DW from Napoli) and I would never rely on Italian (or Greek by experience) rail or mass transit schedules to get you back to the ship. You may get lucky or may end up with an expensive Uber fare to rush you back to the ship. The attitude in Italy is “Don’t worry about it”. I’d worry!
Enjoy a local tour around Civitavecchia and save Rome for a multi-day non-cruise visit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rog747 said:

There are beaches close to the town and one opposite the station (pebbly?),
but better ones are pretty and a bit further down the Coast

santa marinella
Santa marinella beach is one,and nearby Santa Severa.
You can go by train (a couple of stops)

Its AUG so expect beaches to be busy.

We got the train to Santa Marinella, it was busy but an easy trip. 

• Thanks 1