Alesund making changes - Mt Aksla

Got word from Celebrity today that our shore excursion has been cancelled because it went to Mount Aksla and Alesund is no longer allowing buses up Mount Aksla.  Not sure what that is about but if you have an excursion that includes Mount Aksla via bus you might check on it/prepare to make alternate plans.

3 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

You can also walk up from the city center. It’s only ~150 m in elevation and doesn’t take too long.

I assume the little tourist train would still be an option.  We saw people walking and it looked like quite a strenuous workout!

On 2/2/2024 at 6:16 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Got word from Celebrity today that our shore excursion has been cancelled because it went to Mount Aksla and Alesund is no longer allowing buses up Mount Aksla.  Not sure what that is about but if you have an excursion that includes Mount Aksla via bus you might check on it/prepare to make alternate plans.

From 1st May 2024 buses over 11m will not have access to drive to the top of Aksla. Because of narrow road and chaos on top.  I guess there will be other options available... Ålesund city are starting the work with better access, but that will take several years.

The Stairs up are quite steep, but doable if you are fit. Aksla is well worth a visit. 

You can see some pictures of the chaos here

https://www.nrk.no/mr/turistar-fra-to-cruiseskip-til-kai-i-alesund-forer-til-trafikkaos-pa-byfjellet-aksla-1.16438694

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Not sure what that is about but if you have an excursion that includes Mount Aksla via bus you might check on it/prepare to make alternate plans.

Should be an easy alternative as the little tourist train chugs up there (but your cruiseline probably won't have shared that with you)

Past threads for Alesund include this informative one with photos:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2826391-alesund-norway/#comment-62526938

On 2/4/2024 at 4:44 AM, JohnAlleb77 said:

From 1st May 2024 buses over 11m will not have access to drive to the top of Aksla. Because of narrow road and chaos on top.  I guess there will be other options available... Ålesund city are starting the work with better access, but that will take several years.

The Stairs up are quite steep, but doable if you are fit. Aksla is well worth a visit. 

You can see some pictures of the chaos here

https://www.nrk.no/mr/turistar-fra-to-cruiseskip-til-kai-i-alesund-forer-til-trafikkaos-pa-byfjellet-aksla-1.16438694

Yikes, what a mess!  Will the little tourist train be allowed?  Just trying to clarify.  We went up last year early in the morning on a 17 seater  minibus tour.  I remember thinking there isn’t much room here.