Just some final thoughts

2 hours ago, Tralfaz1138 said:

I believe the banning comment was made regarding if you had successfully done a credit card chargeback to get the money back.  Doing that will put you on "the list" with most businesses.

It sounds like you resolved it with Virgin directly so of course they wouldn't ban you in that case.  Good to hear it was somewhat resolved, but a shame it took a bit of effort.

Using an example from an old thread from Carnival three years ago where a customer waited 7 1/2 months for a refund was not relevant in any way to this situation. And mentioning banning to add some drama was simply not necessary. Some users just feel they need to comment on every thread, whether they actually have something constructive to add or not, and if they don’t, they’ll spew hypotheticals.

i hope if anyone else has a similar issue, they won’t listen to negative babbling on here and make an effort to get it corrected, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edspec said:

I occassionally come over to this forum to see if I should change my mind about VV.  Thank-you for this thread @WatermelonSugarHigh, it reinforced my decision to avoid VV.  Too many other cruiselines that are a better fit for me.  

We had a great time.  We loved our cabin and that there were so many comfortable areas of the ship to sit and relax. At night, the ship was vibrant, exciting but still kept an air of elegance.  There was no comparison to Celebrity or Royal in this area.  VV knows how to do nightlife right.  

All the crew members we came in contact with were very professional and kind. Our cabin was serviced once a day and that was enough.  No turn down chocolates or second cabin visit.  When we needed anything, more towels, it was moments before they arrived.  

The whole vibe of the ship was inclusive. I can’t imagine anyone feeling uncomfortable or out of place on this type of voyage.  It was great to see such a nice mix of passengers, everyone feeling comfortable to be who they are and celebrated for it.  

Bartenders and servers were amazing and really knew their craft. In this aspect, we felt they exceeded all our expectations and previous experiences on other lines.  However, since we’ve mainly cruised out of San Juan, a few times out of Florida and only ever in the Caribbean, we are limited to those types of itinerary experiences to compare with.

Menu choices in restaurants were on the fussy side and each could have used a few additional, more traditional choices. Sometimes you just want classic fare - simple steakhouse fare or traditional Italian. More simple but well-prepared side dishes.  I feel they tried too hard to elevate and appeal to “foodies.”  I appreciated the effort and the food was always good, but our son who loves all,kinds of foods and is by no means a “meat and potatoes” guy, felt limited by what he could order.  This is where a main dining room would have been appreciated. He ate in the food court several nights for dinner, but said he felt like he was back in his high school lunchroom. He didn’t like the buzzer concept.

We had a lot of fun, drank a lot of alcohol and met a lot of great people, and we would not rule out another trip on Virgin.  I loved dressing for dinner and seeing all the fashionistas stepping out in the evening.  So fun.  It was fun to enjoy a glass of good Champagne or a proper cocktail in my Choo’s and Blahnik’s.  They don’t get out much anymore. 😊

But for us, on a Caribbean voyage, we prefer a more laidback feel and don’t need all the nightlife and fuss. Celebrity anytime dining fits that for us a little better, even if their food on our last voyage in November 2022 was absolutely atrocious, and their nightlife is a snoozefest, it’s less work and feels like home.  

Edited by WatermelonSugarHigh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@WatermelonSugarHighI’m an early to bed, early to rise person so the the nightlife wouldn’t be a factor for me. Their app also seems to be wonkier than most and their website isn’t particularly user friendly either.  Good thing we don’t all want the same thing 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

Using an example from an old thread from Carnival three years ago where a customer waited 7 1/2 months for a refund was not relevant in any way to this situation. And mentioning banning to add some drama was simply not necessary. Some users just feel they need to comment on every thread, whether they actually have something constructive to add or not, and if they don’t, they’ll spew hypotheticals.

No drama was intended, just stating facts that you don't agree with, don't like or find fault with.

No worries, please block me, and you'll never see another one of my posts, but before you go, here's two more than only took a few seconds to find. I promise you, I don't make this crap up.

NCL 2023

https://consumerrescue.org/cruise-fiascos/cruise-line-do-not-sail-list-banned-from-cruising/

Princess 2023

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2956191-post-disembarkation-stateroom-account-charges/?do=findComment&comment=65884631

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

No drama was intended, just stating facts that you don't agree with, don't like or find fault with.

No worries, please block me, and you'll never see another one of my posts, but before you go, here's two more than only took a few seconds to find. I promise you, I don't make this crap up.

NCL 2023

https://consumerrescue.org/cruise-fiascos/cruise-line-do-not-sail-list-banned-from-cruising/

Princess 2023

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2956191-post-disembarkation-stateroom-account-charges/?do=findComment&comment=65884631

Again, unnecessary. Why must you litter this thread with links to situations that have absolutely nothing to do with me or my situation. I got a credit and encouraged to book a future voyage on VV.

I think you don’t like being wrong and are disappointed that they did the right thing, which you were certain “wouldn’t fly.”

Please, let it go.  I’m not blocking anyone. We’re adults. 

• Haha 1

I like your term "fussy" when talking about the food.

I was searching for a word that best described my experience with the food on Virgin and "fussy" is ideal.

It was well presented and good quality but  certainly "fussy"

Edited by dazadelaide
spelling

I am a senior and think Virgin appeals to all ages.  The staff, who spoke English, were all friendly and helpful.

i thought the big games room, full of puzzles and games, was wonderful.  Library almost

non existent, so take your own books and magazines.

pluses were amount of time spent in port.  Two ports had two nights, a real bonus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I am a senior and think Virgin appeals to all ages.  The staff, who spoke English, were all friendly and helpful.

i thought the big games room, full of puzzles and games, was wonderful.  Library almost

pluses were amount of time spent in port.  Two ports had two nights, a real bonus.

Loved the games! We played Mousetrap! 

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We used our FB group to organize book swaps, both in the form of a meet up place to swap directly and hijacked a space on the ship to use as a "drop off anything you don't want, take anything you like" space.  On Valiant there was NO library for passengers.

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

We used our FB group to organize book swaps, both in the form of a meet up place to swap directly and hijacked a space on the ship to use as a "drop off anything you don't want, take anything you like" space.  On Valiant there was NO library for passengers.

I can confirm this. Several crew members told us there was a small library area near the board games but there was no book area.

My husband forgot his books and was looking to buy or borrow a book. The selections we found in San Juan were in Spanish and at Walgreens and CVS they were almost all kids books or romance novels. He declined my offer to read the three Oprah magazine quarterly Editions I brought, which I thought was quite generous. I read cookbooks like novels, so he was not interested in any of those three that I brought either. 
We loved the Library on the Caribbean Princess.  Every sailing we went on her for years, I was able to borrow The Sopranos Family Cookbook. It became a tradition for me. I left a copy of Entertaining With The Sopranos one year because I had two copies. I wonder if they’re still in there. 

11 minutes ago, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

I can confirm this. Several crew members told us there was a small library area near the board games but there was no book area.

My husband forgot his books and was looking to buy or borrow a book. The selections we found in San Juan were in Spanish and at Walgreens and CVS they were almost all kids books or romance novels. He declined my offer to read the three Oprah magazine quarterly Editions I brought, which I thought was quite generous. I read cookbooks like novels, so he was not interested in any of those three that I brought either. 
We loved the Library on the Caribbean Princess.  Every sailing we went on her for years, I was able to borrow The Sopranos Family Cookbook. It became a tradition for me. I left a copy of Entertaining With The Sopranos one year because I had two copies. I wonder if they’re still in there. 

This is why I read books on the Kindle app.  As long as I have an Internet connection, I will never run out of things to read.  Plus, it keeps our house less clutters since I average a book a week.  And I think it was very generous of you to offer your Oprah magazines!!

Frederick

• Like 2

Princess ships have a nice library with some books purchased by Princess and several shelves of things left by previous cruisers.  Prior to a cruise, I go to the "friends of the library" bookshelf of my local library and pick up several books that look interesting for $3 each, then swap, share or whatever...and ultimately donate any that are left to the crew library or passenger library when one exists.  You can always leave books at sailor services/guest services on any line and ask that they be donated to the crew library--no need to drag them home if you are finished with them.

When I retired, one of my promises to myself was to use the library more and the bookstore less.  Sorry, I still like a real book more than a Kindle.  Each has advantages, but......

Edited by cantgetin

10 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Princess ships have a nice library with some books purchased by Princess and several shelves of things left by previous cruisers.  Prior to a cruise, I go to the "friends of the library" bookshelf of my local library and pick up several books that look interesting for $3 each, then swap, share or whatever...and ultimately donate any that are left to the crew library or passenger library when one exists.  You can always leave books at sailor services/guest services on any line and ask that they be donated to the crew library--no need to drag them home if you are finished with them.

When I retired, one of my promises to myself was to use the library more and the bookstore less.  Sorry, I still like a real book more than a Kindle.  Each has advantages, but......

A few years ago, I discovered that I could borrow Kindle books from our public library.  Since I can only borrow books for three weeks (and I usually have a couple borrowed), I *have* to read the books quickly!!  This has certainly reduced the money I spend on Kindle books while still reading pretty much whatever I want to read.

Frederick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fsdorado said:

This is why I read books on the Kindle app.  As long as I have an Internet connection, I will never run out of things to read.  Plus, it keeps our house less clutters since I average a book a week.  And I think it was very generous of you to offer your Oprah magazines!!

Frederick

We were told by our cab driver in St Lucia that Oprah is very popular there with locals, that she frequently visits her home and walks around unnoticed without security.  They said she is very gracious and donates very generously to the education system there. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 10:46 AM, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

A few notes from first-time VV passengers on our last day on 7-day Caribbean cruise on Valiant Lady.
If you don’t agree or get agitated by opinions that are not your own, keep scrolling, this review isn’t for you. If you like to insult or demean others who don’t share the same views as you, keep scrolling, this isn’t for you. These are just a few personal firsthand unbiased observations aimed to help people who, like me, didn’t have any experience with this particular cruise line. We have sailed 22 times in15 years, almost all out of San Juan, on Princess, Celebrity and Royal.  

Embarkation was smoothe, but stick with the time you’re assigned.  They will ask to check your app to see the time.  We had 3:30. We arrived at 3:00.  It took 45 minutes from bag check to lining up to sitting on our balcony. Very nice. 

We had an XL sea terrace on deck 11 z side.  Cabin was very well designed with limited desk area. There are plenty of charging plugs, The bathroom was nicely appointed with loads of counter space for three people.  The loo and shower have doors, but the main bathroom dressing area is open to the cabin as there is no door.  Fine for a couple but if traveling with someone you don’t care to see naked or hear their bodily functions echoing through the cabin- be aware there’s no privacy of that type in this cabin.  Not sure if it’s just the XLs that are missing that door. 
The suitcases fit under the bed nicely, and there is a large storage drawer under the small sofa that converts to a single bed. Our cabin steward informed us that this configuration for three pax can not be converted back to sofa seating during the day.  Makes sense since there would be nowhere to put the suitcases if it were sofas, and honestly we were barely in the cabin to sit on it.  I would have liked to see what it looked like once, though. And it would have been nice for my husband and son to sit on instead of the bed, to watch tv while I put my makeup on at the vanity mirror. 

The balcony was ample for three with a teeny-tiny miniature table, two metal chairs and a hammock.  We did not sit out more than a few times because of the heavy island stop itinerary. We were barely on board during the day, coffee, off at 9 am and back on at last boarding call.
It was a place to hang swimsuits to dry and to check and see if it’s raining or sunny in the morning. I would not say it was a comfortable place to read or sit for an extended period of time, but that’s how most balcony chairs are.  The Hammock was comfortable.  There is a wooden bench in the cabin under the vanity that can be brought out to comfortably eat on, as well as the little round red chair for an extra seat if you don’t like or can’t sit in the hammock.  

Pool area was a typical cruise ship pool area but kept clean with nice seating areas.  Pool was extremely small. We didn’t use it or sit by it. 

The lounge and bar areas are where this ship really shines.  So many cool places to sit and have a drink or people watch. Cocktails were on-point. Prices were very reasonable. Wine selections were very nice. The Coffee bar was nice, and the coffees were great. I tried them all. I also had the best Irish coffee of my life at the Sips Lounge late one evening. I don’t know what they did to it but it was magic. 
Sips was my favorite bar and I drank my weight in Moet Champagne on this sail thanks to making an error on the app before leaving home and buying $900 extra in bar tab money by accident.  We already had $1000 and ended up with over $2000 to use because of my error. I mistakenly thought unused portions would be returned so didn’t contact them to correct the error immediately.

We all felt the ship needs some type of a main dining room for those who don’t want to monitor the app for dinner reservations but want a reliable sit down service meal.

We booked last minute after the 45 days opened up for reservations so dining times for us were very limited.  We were ultimately still able to get into the ones we wanted and were not disappointed.  Selection in the restaurants could be more varied for those with simpler, easier to please palates.  We really enjoyed Extra Virgin but can see some might appreciate a few choices for more traditional Italian fare.  Same for The Wake. Personally, I was not a food court fan and  think it could be improved on. Taco and panini station were open at 7 am but closed during the evening.  Pizza was hit or miss. Salad station was good. Room service menu was… odd. 

All in all, we had a nice cruise and enjoyed ourselves.  We all agree we preferred the more traditional approach to dining on Celebrity but loved the lounge areas, shows and bars/fun spots on Virgin. A mashup of both would be great. 

At writing, we have over $900 in bar tab that I purchased accidentally, left to use or lose.  My error but I think unused purchased bar tab money should be refunded and not taken as profit/passenger  loss. I asked if we can use it for tips to special crew- No. Can we use it for future cruise deposit- no.

They keep it. That will stop me from sailing VV again. 

We cruised on the Valiant in December out of Miami after 20+ cruises with other lines and I decided it wasn't for me also.  I wasn't fond of the food choices and really missed the buffet for breakfast.  The food court was chaotic for us.  I felt like everything I enjoy about cruising was missing.  We enjoy the older ships like NCL Jewel and RCCL Voyager class types where all the reservations aren't necessary.  I also missed a main dining room with just a plain steak or grilled chicken breast option.  Every meal I was grateful for the free internet because I'd have to google most of what was on the menus.  The entertainment we saw was exceptional but again, we missed half of the shows because we were unable to get reservations.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Megamixer said:

We cruised on the Valiant in December out of Miami after 20+ cruises with other lines and I decided it wasn't for me also.  I wasn't fond of the food choices and really missed the buffet for breakfast.  The food court was chaotic for us.  I felt like everything I enjoy about cruising was missing.  We enjoy the older ships like NCL Jewel and RCCL Voyager class types where all the reservations aren't necessary.  I also missed a main dining room with just a plain steak or grilled chicken breast option.  Every meal I was grateful for the free internet because I'd have to google most of what was on the menus.  The entertainment we saw was exceptional but again, we missed half of the shows because we were unable to get reservations.  

Yeah, we didn’t see any shows bc couldn’t get reservations. I had to Googlecwhat a happenings cast was and saw it on YouTube.  I didn’t see any of that. 
 I really didn’t enjoy Scarlet Night at all and left after 5 minutes, but I can see why some do enjoy it.  It’s just not my thing. Also skipped Pajama (?) night, I  don’t even understand what that’s about. The champagne sailaway party was sweaty, loud and not for me. It’s not my age- I was never into loud large group gatherings.  

chaotic really describes the food court well. We never saw servers,  just a lot of buzzers. My son said he had four buzzers at once and the food came out all different times. It was just not a relaxing place to eat.

On 2/8/2024 at 10:33 AM, Megamixer said:

I also missed a main dining room with just a plain steak or grilled chicken breast option.  Every meal I was grateful for the free internet because I'd have to google most of what was on the menus.  The entertainment we saw was exceptional but again, we missed half of the shows because we were unable to get reservations.  

You can go to any restaurant that serves a steak or chicken breast and ask for it "plain."  Not a problem.

We were initially upset at people making multiple reservations for the same show, leaving us unable to get reservations,....and finding out after the fact that in one case the show had been only 1/4 full!  There is a standby line if you can't get a reservation.  Not ideal, but.....I wish there was a way that people could only make one reservation for each show on each cruise.  THEY should be in the standby line if they want to see it more than once.