Coral Princess in Alaska

larrybritt

I see this ship will be in Alaska for a sailing May 3rd for 11 days in 2025. We have never been on Coral, I know its a older ship but doesn't bother us at all. I would like to know if anyone has been to Alaska this early in the season as we have been once and it was in July and ended up being shorts weather most of the time. We would like to go to try to see more snow cover. I have also heard that early in the season some places have yet to open in some towns. Just trying to get thoughts on the ship and the season.  Thanks for any insight

We've gone to Alaska more than once in May, and the weather was fine. One year, we were supposed to do a helicopter hike in Skagway, but things hadn't melted yet so it was a train and snowshoe hike. That same year, it was 75 degrees the day we were in Juneau. Your mileage may vary.

We really liked the Coral. Great Promenade deck!

Edited by Sea Hag

I have taken the Coral from LA to Vancouver to Whittier and back to Vancouver.  I love the Coral Princess.  She has some of the most open observation decks (Promenade/aft/forward).  She is one of the smallest ship in the fleet.  Lots of public spaces AND "On the Bayou" production show created just for her and the Island. 

I would not hesitate to do another Alaskan cruise on her...especially if she includes Glacier Bay.

Love bookend cruises.  May and September are marvelous times to see Alaska.

We've done several early May cruises to Alaska.  The weather isn't bad, no need for the parka.  Might be a little rainy but other than that quite nice.  We did one trip on the train in Skagway several years ago and the snow beside the train was as high as the train.

We were on the Coral for Panama and loved the ship.  Lots of space and walking areas.  Going on her sister ship in April/May for Panama this year.

Happy cruising

Karen and Kevin

Love Coral Princess. You should be aware of the forward and aft viewing decks on Baja and Caribe Decks. You go all the way forward or all the way aft and there is a heavy door that leads out to a viewing deck. The forward decks have no furniture but the aft decks (at least the aft Baja deck) has loungers.

I've posted before about our favorite cabin on Coral Princess. It's an Ocean View cabin (so it costs less than a balcony) but the window looks out onto the aft viewing deck and that viewing deck is only a few steps away from the cabin door so it's "almost" like having your own huge balcony.

I've tried to look into the cabin through the window but, during the day with only the sheer drapes pulled, I can't see into the cabin even if I press my face to the window. At night we close the heavy drapes. It's wonderful to have this huge area as a semi-private balcony.

Many people never realize these areas are on the ship as, like I said above, you have to go all the way forward or aft down the cabin corridors to find them. The cabin we book is the one right next to the door in the picture but there is an identical cabin at the other (port) side of the viewing area.

CoralPrincess-BajaAftViewingDeck.jpg.a33b74dd65ef50e47936dadf839ab386.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've posted before about our favorite cabin on Coral Princess. It's an Ocean View cabin (so it costs less than a balcony) but the window looks out onto the aft viewing deck and that viewing deck is only a few steps away from the cabin door so it's "almost" like having your own huge balcony.

That looks like a great cabin, and I'd love to book it some time. My hubby doesn't like aft cabins (go figure) but he might make an exception for something that nice.

54 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

That looks like a great cabin, and I'd love to book it some time. My hubby doesn't like aft cabins (go figure) but he might make an exception for something that nice.

We've had that cabin for two different Panama Canal cruises (the old locks). It was great having pre dinner drinks out there - all alone - and watching the dolphins playing in the wake. We also watched a fantastic light show due to a big electrical storm one evening. (The storm was in the distance. We wouldn't be standing out there in the middle of lightning activity.) I would love to have that cabin for an Alaska cruise. No, it is not a private balcony but the two times we've had that cabin the huge "balcony" was not used by many people at all. Like I said in my previous post, I think most people don't even realize that area exists. Booking on Baja deck we have it "mostly" to ourselves.

• Like 1

How is the viewing from the upper decks? Looks like you have to look through glass in most places and of course especially in glacier bay I hope to be able to get best view we can. I know you can also stay on balcony as the ship turns. Just trying to get idea if the glass obscures the view much?

We did a Cruisetour in 2018, with Coral as the ship - loved it! We went from late May to early June, so there still was snow in the higher elevations. We joked about going from spring to winter and back to spring again as we travelled between lodges on the land portion. You can also get a clear view of Glacier Bay, etc., from the Promenade Deck.

4 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

We did a Cruisetour in 2018, with Coral as the ship - loved it! We went from late May to early June, so there still was snow in the higher elevations. We joked about going from spring to winter and back to spring again as we travelled between lodges on the land portion. You can also get a clear view of Glacier Bay, etc., from the Promenade Deck.

We were on that cruise as well!   It was a great time to see Alaska we thought!  Love the Coral Princess.  

• Like 1