Fuming. I'm on Whisper March 20 going through the Red Sea (NOT)

bitob

On 2/16/2024 at 3:36 PM, daddyo said:

Back home now.  Had a great trip. We had dinner with the Captain very early in the cruise.  He was cordial and certainly competent.  My comment about the cow, meant that he knew, I knew, he knew they were going to cancel upcoming coming voyages but obviously could not tell me.  Hence, the statement.  I apologize if  that blew anyone's "skirt up".

Yes it did blow my skirt up a bit, sorry I failed to read between the lines.   But, of course, we all knew that the future itineraries would be foreshortened, there was really no point in asking.   World cruising is in such turmoil, I have sympathy with the people who are doing the forward planning, no sooner does one area of the world settle (a bit) then another blows up.   Its all a bit of a lottery at the moment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, labrasett said:

future itineraries would be foreshortened

Or cancelled!!

What I object to is the cancellation of Whisper (Singapore to Mumbai) on the grounds of "safety" when it is all about getting to dry dock on time (other cruises are calling at Mumbai). If SS were to be up front about the reasons then fine but I cannot, and will not, be lied to. As far as I am concerned SS is off my list of cruise line for ever!

• Like 2

Devil's advocate. If they were to keep the Singapore to Mumbai sailing, then try to get to the drydock on time by sailing through the Red Sea empty, would that not constitute a safety concern for the crew? 

It could be about safety, from that perspective. It probably *is* about getting to the drydock on time, but in a way that doesn't put the ship or her crew in jeopardy.

I  sympathize with your disappointment about having your cruise canceled. I've had it happen too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Devil's advocate. If they were to keep the Singapore to Mumbai sailing, then try to get to the drydock on time by sailing through the Red Sea empty, would that not constitute a safety concern for the crew? 

It could be about safety, from that perspective. It probably *is* about getting to the drydock on time, but in a way that doesn't put the ship or her crew in jeopardy.

I  sympathize with your disappointment about having your cruise canceled. I've had it happen too. 

I don't disagree with what you say and I fully accept, and agree, with the decision. Where I have an issue is with not being up front with the reason. All that was needed was to say "because of the situation and in order to get Whisper to dry dock on time and in safety ..."

5 hours ago, david63 said:

If SS were to be up front about the reasons then fine but I cannot, and will not, be lied to. As far as I am concerned SS is off my list of cruise line for ever!

I understand your point and sympathize but sadly this approach will eventually put an end to your sailing career, and sooner rather than later as all cruise lines have been obfuscating the reasons for their changes.  And airlines and hotels are no better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

will eventually put an end to your sailing career, and sooner rather than later

At my age that is happening anyway - especially when insurance costs are almost as much as some cruises!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1