Fuming. I'm on Whisper March 20 going through the Red Sea (NOT)

bitob

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Yup Bali is officially closed on this day of silence (11 March) Ever heard this?

Yes!

We looked carefully to make sure we would not get caught up in this when we visited last March.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, drron29 said:

Wow. I certainlly hadn't heard this. Our airlines have though as no direct flights to DPS. however the OTAs are offering flights with 1 stop somewhere with at least 12 hour lay overs. hope people actually read the details.

It’s a luna cycle annual event. Called Nyepi. It’s 29 March in 2025.

Friends of ours in Oz have never heard of it either… But JP is on the ball.👍

it would be hilarious if a Cruise Line scheduled for a silenced day to arrive or depart! Luckily I suspect the port authorities are on the ball to make sure it doesn’t happen.

it changed our itinerary. Had intended to start with a few nights in Bali, but have moved this to end with 4 nights in Bangkok. 1985 was the last time I was there! I won’t recognise it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, if SS proceeds at its usual rate, you have a lot longer to fume.

They have not yet cancelled Spirit’s March 13 thru the canal/ Red Sea..and

we have no word on the Feb 26 cruise thru Oman, Qatar, UAE to Dubai. From

posts it seems that others are also left hanging by SS. Admittedly this is a

complicated situation but it is getting long of tooth when most assuredly these 

announcements have to be madr.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:47 AM, rcandkc said:

I’d rather have insulation. 

2 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Unfortunately, if SS proceeds at its usual rate, you have a lot longer to fume.

They have not yet cancelled Spirit’s March 13 thru the canal/ Red Sea..and

we have no word on the Feb 26 cruise thru Oman, Qatar, UAE to Dubai. From

posts it seems that others are also left hanging by SS. Admittedly this is a

complicated situation but it is getting long of tooth when most assuredly these 

announcements have to be madr.

Disgraceful

20 hours ago, les37b said:

Yup Bali is officially closed on this day of silence (11 March) Ever heard this?

Nyepi Day is always like this. I am surprised Viking or any cruise line isn't aware of this culturally significant day as it has always been this way. The tricky part is the date changes yearly according to lunar cycles.

To Silversea - I am in the process of making online hotel, flight and other bookings and paying for visas (for this SS Whisper cruise) that I expect I will never use due to the future change of this cruise itinerary. I will not get a refund for these payments. In your emails to me (from Silversea) I am referred to as 'Dear Esteemed Guest'. If this total lack of timely communication is how you treat 'Esteemed' guests who have prepaid for this cruise in full, this will be the last cruise with Silversea for my wife and I. I will be expecting a full refund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Nyepi Day is always like this. I am surprised Viking or any cruise line isn't aware of this culturally significant day as it has always been this way. The tricky part is the date changes yearly according to lunar cycles.

Yes, if you are in the know, you will remember and yes, for Bali, it's significant. I did post that its not so straight forward as its a Lunar cycle and the 2025 date. When I called Viking to inform them what I'd learned (and it was completely by chance from me choosing my hotel and seeing references to it, so investigated. Even armed with this information, Viking reps still weren't believing me at first until I suggested they tried to book a flight to arrive on the 11th - and then they conceded. Even now, they are selling a pre cruise package, so they didn't take the info that seriously! Maybe the website just hasn't been updated.

I suspect Viking are not alone with their error here. We were issued with flights with Emirates arriving on a day the airport was shut - which even after they corrected their own error on their website, my flights (which were not yet ticketed) were still showing as unchanged and on a flight which no longer existed. They were through Viking.

All a learning curve and its good to share. Most people I suspect in the roll call were unaware and it was a big topic when I posted about it last year when discovered.

Edited by les37b
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, les37b said:

Friends of ours in Oz have never heard of it either… But JP is on the ball.👍

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

it was completely by chance from me choosing my hotel and seeing references to it, so investigated.

Exactly how I learned about it - the Day of Silence was referenced extensively on my online booking portal's website when I was looking for hotel reservations for last March. I just happened to go a year earlier than you!

• Haha 1

Not sure what Nyepi Day in Bali has to do with the Whisper transiting Red Sea in March when Bali is some 8,950kls away ?

Maybe a separate post as good info for those not in the know.

Edited by Downunder55
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

Not sure what Nyepi Day in Bali has to do with the Whisper transiting Red Sea in March when Bali is some 8,950kls away ?

Maybe a separate post as good info for those not in the know.

I agree, this thread is for fuming only! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 2/5/2024 at 9:51 AM, les37b said:

Looks like you are 4 days behind us, so you’re safe - though the ship may catch you up after leaving Bangkok! (Where we disembark.)

We originally planned to arrive 3 days early. We had flights all booked too…. Only to find our planned arrival, Bali is closed for the day and no one is allowed outside of their hotel - or you may be rounded up by officials looking for “wrong doers!” The airport is shut too. When I chased this (and it was still live on the airline) the error got corrected. Yup Bali is officially closed on this day of silence (11 March) Ever heard this? Was a complete surprise for me (and Viking! I wonder what the people who have booked a pre cruise extension will feel about being shut away in their room instead of sight seeing!

Nyepi Day is a well known and a very respected religious day in Bail. It's very sad that an international cruise company (Viking, or at least a representative) says they are not aware of the day and its local significance. I guess a great thing about travel is what we learn. Enjoy Bali.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bennyeggs said:

It's very sad that an international cruise company (Viking, or at least a representative) says they are not aware of the day and its local significance.

They might not but their port agent would be aware - that is one of the jobs of a port agent.

Success. My ta is great

they transferred the money to my 2 future ss cruises. I am told notice of cancellation coming 

I love silversea but just not willing to risk death to sail. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Downunder55 said:

Well just heard from some friends that their Whisper early March Singapore to Mumbai cruse has just been cancelled 

Yes it has, not happy here...

In our news today Virgin's Resilient Lady is finishing it's Australian season and sailing to Athens via Singapore,Mumbai, Dubai and Suez in March is now going via Perth, Mauritius, South Africa and the west Coast of Africa and then Morocco, Barcelona, Malta and then Athens and it will be with Passengers.

Edited by drron29

29 minutes ago, drron29 said:

In our news today Virgin's Resilient Lady is finishing it's Australian season and sailing to Athens via Singapore,Mumbai, Dubai and Suez in March is now going via Perth, Mauritius, South Africa and the west Coast of Africa and then Morocco, Barcelona, Malta and then Athens and it will be with Passengers.

I'm not a fan of Virgin or Branson, but that is clearly the correct approach.

****** Silversea are notoriously poor planners when it comes to pro-actively addressing issues such as this. That applies to maintenance too. When you cancel cruises booked 18 months ago, to cut a ship in half and give it an extension 6 months before sailing, you know things are not too hot in the planning department. ******

****** Added to enhance the fuming! 🤣

Edited by les37b
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are booked on Crystal Symphony’s Mumbai to Athens sailing at the end of March.
Nothing has been forthcoming from Crystal regarding whether this cruise will be cancelled etc, although their holding statement assures you they having continued dialogue with affected guests🤣🤣.
Our TA has spoken to Crystal this morning, and still no answer to our questions. Truly appalling 

customer relations from Crystal. 

So, just to show any Silversea passengers you are not alone, we dedicate this playlist to you all. Enjoy!

Crystal’s Top 5 Playlist in The Avenue Saloon tonight are:

1. Our Lips Are Sealed by the Go-Go’s

2. Silence is Golden by The Four Seasons

3. The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel 

4. It’s Oh So Quiet by Bjork

5. Road To Nowhere by Talking Heads

🎹🎹🎹

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

0947, it will be interesting to hear from you what Silversea does about your out of pocket visa, hotel and flight issues in terms of this relatively late cruise cancellation.

Good luck! And if Silversea applies some limits on what they will reimburse you I am hoping at least the airline gives you a voucher for future use on some route.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham