Late flight out of SYD

Hello friends! I shall be visiting Australia for the first time next month. My flight doesn't leave until 10pm, and of course they're kicking me off the Majestic Princess bright and early. I enjoy hanging out at airports, but 12 hours at an airport is Too Much. 

I've been eyeing the Princess excursion to the Blue Mountains that then drops you at the airport. Anyone taken that and got an opinion? To add complexity, I have a bum leg and won't be up for a lot of hiking. 

I'd also have spent plenty of time touring the city prior to the cruise, so if there's a suggestion of a great place that I should spend a half or most of a day hanging out at is great, with the expectation I'll store my luggage somewhere. 

The Blue Mountains excursion sounds good. In a day tour there won't be much, or indeed any, hiking. There will be short distances to walk from the bus to a lookout. In Princess' tour descriptions they usually indicate whether or not the excursion has a lot of walking.

Personally, I would look for an airport hotel and get a short stay booking for a room. Relax, use the amenities and chill for the long flight home. Then grab an airport shuttle when you need to be at the airport.

The Overseas passenger terminal is right next to Circular Quay. It's a flat three minute walk even with luggage. You can leave your luggage at Bounce:

https://usebounce.com/city/sydney/sydney-circular-quay

When you come back to collect it, you can take the airport train from the station at Circular Quay, or take a taxi/Uber.

Realistically, you'll be off the ship at maybe 8 -9 am, and you have to be at the airport three hours before an international flight, plus allow 30 mins to get there, so depart CQ maybe 6.30 pm.

If you don't want to go on the ship's excursion in a huge group on multiple coaches, you can find private operators, or it is possible to do it yourself by train.

28 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

The Overseas passenger terminal is right next to Circular Quay. It's a flat three minute walk even with luggage. You can leave your luggage at Bounce:

When you come back to collect it, you can take the airport train from the station at Circular Quay, or take a taxi/Uber.

Realistically, you'll be off the ship at maybe 8 -9 am, and you have to be at the airport three hours before an international flight, plus allow 30 mins to get there, so depart CQ maybe 6.30 pm.

If you don't want to go on the ship's excursion in a huge group on multiple coaches, you can find private operators, or it is possible to do it yourself by train.

Fun things you can do around Circular Quay with little effort:

Walk to the Opera House (maybe take a tour).

Walk through the Botanical Gardens.

Take the ferry to Darling Harbour.

Take the ferry to Manly Beach.

Take a harbour tour. (Captain Cook tours share the same terminal as the ferries)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

Fun things you can do around Circular Quay with little effort:

Walk to the Opera House (maybe take a tour).

Walk through the Botanical Gardens.

Take the ferry to Darling Harbour.

Take the ferry to Manly Beach.

Take a harbour tour. (Captain Cook tours share the same terminal as the ferries)

A relaxing , public, ferry tour of the harbour or further afield to, say, Parramatta return - this would get my vote.

https://www.visitsydneyaustralia.com.au/ferry-parramatta.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

I agree with your comments, but I don't think the Princess disembarkation tour would have multiple coaches. Sometimes they can't get enough bookings to make even one coach viable. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable taking an independent train trip to the Blue Mountains on that day when they have an international flight booked for the evening.

39 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I would be getting a cheap hotel room for the day ,drop your bags and have another look around.

A bit of a nap ,a shower and some proper food before the long flight 

I wouldn't take a nap. I'd save sleep for the flight.

• Like 1

I’d recommend catching a ferry to Manley Beach, as noted above if you return via the overseas passenger terminal, the ferry leaves from right next door. You can also go to Watson’s Bay. The trip to parramatta (again via the ferry) is also interesting. 

• Like 1

As a former Northern Beaches girl, I would definitely opt for Manly (sorry, Guy, no 'e'). Plenty to see when you get there and the ferry trip is relaxing. Go for a leisurely stroll up the Corso (pedestrian only shopping road) which leads to beautiful Norfolk Pine fringed beaches.

https://sydneyvisitorguide.com.au/manly/

• Like 1

The last thing you want is to "chill out" in a hotel room after a cruise and a confined space before another confined space of a plane.

Since you are already at Circular Quay, it makes the most sense to store your bags there and use the ferry system for a days outing. The two most obvious ones are Tooronga Zoo or Manly. If you have already done one on your precruise visit, do the other. Either would be perfect for an entire day before your flight out.

If you just want a "half day to hang out" without going far or putting a lot of effort in.. in Darling Harbour near where the ship embarks - is the Sea Aquarium, Madame Tussauds wax museum and the Australian National Maritime Museum which has the replica of Captain Cook's Endeavour ship (it is excellent) which you can go aboard (as well as a retired Naval submarine and Destroyer). All within a few hundred metres of each other and with Darling Harbour cafes and restaurants there too.. easily able to kill half a day or more.  

23 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I wouldn't take a nap. I'd save sleep for the flight.

A nap, if you need one, is a good thing. To adjust back to US time zone on a late night flight, it is better to sleep the 2nd half of the flight and not the first.

Edited by arxcards

3 hours ago, yarramar said:

The last thing you want is to "chill out" in a hotel room after a cruise and a confined space before another confined space of a plane.

Since you are already at Circular Quay, it makes the most sense to store your bags there and use the ferry system for a days outing. The two most obvious ones are Tooronga Zoo or Manly. If you have already done one on your precruise visit, do the other. Either would be perfect for an entire day before your flight out.

All of those are worthwhile to anyone who wants to make a day of it.

Chill out by the pool or hotel lounge. Room would be just for shower, nap, catching-up on TV news.