Online travel agents admin fee

Hi just had to pay a £50 admin fee  to change to one of my cruises, never been charged before and they are saying it’s now company policy, I have 6 cruises booked this year with them and 5 next year, shame for them as I  will now be looking for a new agent 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't believe that P&O impose an admin fee when cancelling, only when moving a cruise.

I thought the same ,on select fare, P&O let you cancel and move to another cruise  F O C

but only once .

Maybe it could be due to a change of cabin ? Maybe Lindy could enlighten us on what 

changes has caused this charge ? 🤔

• Like 1

Hi all sorry for not making myself clear, it was a fee free change with 

P & 0 as per their t+c my travel agent announced it was new company policy to apply a £50 fee for any changes to all bookings not too happy and will contact their head office today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

Someone posted about this last week, I assume it's the same Travel Agent . They might start losing customers with this policy.

I think it could well be the same agent, I’ve just been in touch with the head office who have explained this is a new company policy and they can change their policy and t+c if they wish to, I’m very disappointed with them  this year and next year I  have over £40,000 worth of cruises booked with them ( not all with P&O)  so I’ve been a loyal customer to them, and obviously they are not interested so I will be looking elsewhere from now on.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Yes I should have read their t&cs but who does in reality, 

True a lot of people do not bother, but DH does, a habit he has always been in as he has a work background in legal work in that field.  Must admit he also reads them through a lot quicker and more thoroughly than I would because of that experience as well.  I think I have been well schooled though, so even if I did not have him to check that sort of thing for me, I would still read them.  Picking up a car if he has a free loan offer, (meaning we can keep the cash in savings longer) really does miff the sales agent as they do not expect someone to sit down and read through the agreement before signing it 🙂

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 10:55 AM, david63 said:

You could have an argument if the admin fee was not made clear, or even in place, at the time of booking

You could indeed.

It is quite a fundamental aspect of common law that a contract is not legally binding unless all parties have an understanding of the contractual terms and conditions. Very frequently matters are settled with a DIY "notice before action" letter that can be drafted out with some easily obtainable legal advice to members from a very well known consumers' organisation.

However that approach tends to rely on the fact that the client has a case and the vendor of goods or services just doesn't want to get into the hassle and expense of the small claims court... or whatever route the courts decide (and it is the courts who decide)  the case will follow.

A letter is really is just a shot across the bows. If it works... it works. If it doesn't... it's often best to leave the matter there and move on. Legal history is littered with lives destroyed when arguments about little or nothing got out of hand and left people wrecked emotionally, spiritually and financially.