Car service Cape Liberty to Moynihan

5 hours ago, cruzlover said:

Looking for recommendations for a car/limo service from Cape Liberty to NY Penn Station. 

9 people mostly with carry-ons/backpacks

The usual suspects would apply-- Carmel or Dial7. Frankly splitting the group into a few Ubers would most likely be less expensive and yield a similar result. 

You could go out and get a Sprinter or mini bus but its going to be garage in to garage out and cost a fortune just to keep all 9 in the same vehicle. 

Thanks for your input.

It’s actually my son and a group ranging in age from 16 - 68.  He’s familiar with NJ transit and will be using it pre-cruise. They are actually taking the train into Moynihan and using the transit system once there. However, not sure if it’s doable Sunday morning. They are hoping to be at the station for a 9 am train. I know it’s crazy and certainly would not be my plan but hopefully they’ll make it. Express walkoff and minimal luggage will help.

They originally were planning to Uber/Lyft but that can be iffy at the port with so much demand. Although a private car service would be more expensive, it might be a better option in this case due to time constraints. 

25 minutes ago, cruzlover said:

Thanks for your input.

It’s actually my son and a group ranging in age from 16 - 68.  He’s familiar with NJ transit and will be using it pre-cruise. They are actually taking the train into Moynihan and using the transit system once there. However, not sure if it’s doable Sunday morning. They are hoping to be at the station for a 9 am train. I know it’s crazy and certainly would not be my plan but hopefully they’ll make it. Express walkoff and minimal luggage will help.

They originally were planning to Uber/Lyft but that can be iffy at the port with so much demand. Although a private car service would be more expensive, it might be a better option in this case due to time constraints. 

There are 3 - 4 trains every hour into manhattan on Sundays.

2 hours ago, cruzlover said:

Thanks for your input.

It is from Cape Liberty in Bayonne to Penn Station in NY at the end of the cruise that you are seeking assistance with, correct?

There are 2 public transit options depending which would be best for those traveling. Each starts with transportation from CL via taxi or Uber/Lyft. 

For the Newark Penn Station option, transit from CL to NPS, then NJT trains directly to NY Penn Station. As indicated NJ Transit has 3 trains per hour to NYPS (though according to the NJTransit trip planner, all 3 trains depart between 10 minutes after the hour until 29 minutes after the hour). By going to Newark, you are traveling away from NYC for the convenience of ending at NYPS.

The other option, which I think would be faster, is PATH train from Jersey City to 33rd Street in NYC then a 3/10th mile walk to NYPS. PATH frequently has weekend track service, so have a backup plan if you choose this option.

PATH train from the Journal Square or Grove Street station terminates in NYC at 33rd Street (via Hoboken station). The travelers could go directly to any of these 3 stations via Uber or taxi, which would save time.

The other option getting to these 3 PATH stations is via light rail. The 34th Street Hudson Bergen light rail station in Bayonne is about 2.5 miles from CL but to save time go directly from CL to any of the 3 PATH stations, bypassing the Bayonne light rail station.

Car service (other than taxi) at CL is in front of the terminal, zones 6-10. After passing facial recognition, exit left, once outside you are in zone 7. Zone 6 is to your left, 8-10 to your right. This is where you wait/meet the Uber driver.

Taxi service at CL is operated from a parking lot. After facial recognition, exit right towards the parking garage (ignore signs indicating exit left). Outside, go left, walk up to the road by the glass doors entrance of the garage. Go across 2 crosswalks on the road to the parking lot with taxi dispatch. Using self assist departure will lessen the wait time for a taxi. Many times there are not enough cabs, sometimes none are present and must be dispatched.

Edited by meadowlander

They need to catch a train at Moynihan at 9am right after getting off? The only way I can see this even feasible is to be the first off the ship carrying their own stuff, hop into the first taxi they see, and pray for no traffic.

12 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

They need to catch a train at Moynihan at 9am right after getting off? The only way I can see this even feasible is to be the first off the ship carrying their own stuff, hop into the first taxi they see, and pray for no traffic.

Most NJ taxi’s won’t take folks to manhattan.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Most NJ taxi’s won’t take folks to manhattan.

And most folks avoid NJ taxis like the plague, especially for a long trip.. Old ratty cars that you couldn't pay me to ride in. 

Uber/Lyft or car service are preferrable.

• Like 1