Current Captains and Current Cruise/Travel Directors

Yipper

It is always fun to see crew members that you have met on previous sailings.  I am surprised they usually recognize me before I recognize them!  Does anyone know the Captains and Cruise & Travel Directors currently assigned to Holland America ships? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I wonder if rotating them throughout the fleet is a factor in HALs request the list not be published. 

I think its a bit about privacy. Not telling the world when you aren't home.

• Like 2

CruiserBruce - I agree with you. I'm not on Facebook or Instagram, but on every cruise I've been on people are posting about their cruises on social media. That's announcing that they're not home. Years ago when I lived in Boston, two TV anchors who were married were on vacation. The station announced that "Chet and Nat are in the Caribbean." Their house was robbed.

I miss former cruise/travel directors who I have not seen for quite awhile.  I wonder if they are still around.  I also miss seeing Future Cruise Consultants who were on the ships for years.  Maybe they still are; I just haven't seen them.  They always had a commercial on the onboard tv about them.  I haven't seen Chantal, Susan or that couple (can't remember their name).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think its a bit about privacy. Not telling the world when you aren't home.

This is an interesting rationale given that there's an extensive thread on the Princess board that lists the captain, CD, ED, and DOR on each ship and has been going on since approximately 2012.  I guess Princess doesn't care about the privacy or safety of their senior staff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

This is an interesting rationale given that there's an extensive thread on the Princess board that lists the captain, CD, ED, and DOR on each ship and has been going on since approximately 2012.  I guess Princess doesn't care about the privacy or safety of their senior staff.

I don't see any posts from Princess Cruises on that thread.

I guess Princess doesn't contribute.

• Like 1

Captain Albert used to list the captains in his blog.  The last update was in 2023.

I suspect he has retired and / or retired from doing the blog.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't see any posts from Princess Cruises on that thread.

I guess Princess doesn't contribute.

I never said it did.  The thread is entirely dependent on contributions from passengers sailing on Princess ships and providing information to keep the list up-to-date.  The impression I got earlier in this thread is that HAL had discouraged people from doing the same thing on this board.  Is that a mistaken impression?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Captain Albert used to list the captains in his blog.  The last update was in 2023.

I suspect he has retired and / or retired from doing the blog.

He was laid off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

I never said it did.  The thread is entirely dependent on contributions from passengers sailing on Princess ships and providing information to keep the list up-to-date.  The impression I got earlier in this thread is that HAL had discouraged people from doing the same thing on this board.  Is that a mistaken impression?

There was a HAL employee that posted the info in response to questions, sometimes months in advance of the requester's cruise. That has been shut down.

Yes, sometimes people mention staff names on their posts here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

He was laid off.

I got confused, because how do you get laid off from your own blog, but then read the home page of the blog where it said he was offered early retirement by HAL. My brother and cousin were working with him recently to update our grandfather's page and I was sad to think that it might disappear! 

Interesting they don't want the list published, but I can understand it. On our recent Eurodam cruise to Alaska, we got some time with Captain Eldering (arranged for us by the Concierge after a friend shared my family story) and he was saying how it's crazy now what people ask for - he had a request from a family to put on matching pajamas for a christmas card photo! Interestingly, he showed up to talk to us with my opa's pages from the Captain Albert blog printed out, so even if the blog does come down, I have a copy! ☺️

• Like 2

My experience of late has been that many captains tend to stick with a certain ship for the 3-month rotations.

Chantel (FCC) was on the Zuiderdam for the holiday cruise. As the partner of a HAL captain, she frequently sails with him (although he wasn't on that cruise). If you follow regular bloggers, it's easy to learn who is where.

I solved the problem of "advertising" you are away from home on social media by selling my house! I realize it isn't practical for everyone. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

19 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Years ago when I lived in Boston, two TV anchors who were married were on vacation. The station announced that "Chet and Nat are in the Caribbean." Their house was robbed.

@BetsyS.  I remember that!