Boarding Pass on New Princess App

birdiebill

I realize the boarding pass is seldom even viewed when boarding.  But in our new app, it states that the boarding pass will appear 11 days prior to sailing.  We are just within nine days prior.  We are in the green lane with our medallions to be delivered today.  The old app has been displaying boarding passes for two days.  Is it just me or do the passes not show up in the new one?  If they show up, where in the new app do they appear.

50 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

I realize the boarding pass is seldom even viewed when boarding.  But in our new app, it states that the boarding pass will appear 11 days prior to sailing.  We are just within nine days prior.  We are in the green lane with our medallions to be delivered today.  The old app has been displaying boarding passes for two days.  Is it just me or do the passes not show up in the new one?  If they show up, where in the new app do they appear.

IIRC, the boarding pass shows up on the main page once you launch the app. There should be a row of tabs near the middle of the screen but the boarding pass is off  screen and I think I had to scroll to the left to bring it into view.  It was well hidden.

We boarded the Discovery in San Pedro a few days ago. As we re snaking our way towards security, we were told very forcefully a number of times by  multiple people  "You MUST have your boarding pass in hand along with photo ID...." When we finally reached the security check-in station, the lady told us "Oh, you have your medallion, you don't need your boarding pass" and of course we never showed our boarding pass to anyone.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the info.  I did not know there were tabs hiding some things.  When I swept the screen to the left, the other tabs showed up including boarding pass, luggage tags link, and others.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

It is not seldom needed but never needed   We have been on at least 10 cruises since 2022 and never used it. Speaking of the so called boarding pass 

This seems like a definitive response. 

I think the confusion comes in when port authority is giving directions that are general for all cruises and then you get to the Princess personnel and they know you just need the medallion. 

12 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I think the confusion comes in when port authority is giving directions that are general for all cruises and then you get to the Princess personnel and they know you just need the medallion. 

Never had any issue

55 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

In our case at San Pedro a few days ago, both the personnel demanding we have our boarding passes, and the personnel saying we didn't need them, were ALL shoreside security personnel working for the same company, definitely not Princess employees or the contractors Princess use on shore (the folks wearing the Princess oval badges). The two sets of contractor security personnel issuing totally contradictory instructions were standing maybe 50 feet apart, well within earshot of each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

In our case at San Pedro a few days ago, both the personnel demanding we have our boarding passes, and the personnel saying we didn't need them, were ALL shoreside security personnel working for the same company, definitely not Princess employees or the contractors Princess use on shore (the folks wearing the Princess oval badges). The two sets of contractor security personnel issuing totally contradictory instructions were standing maybe 50 feet apart, well within earshot of each other.

That is exactly how I would describe San Pedro! Haha 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, birdiebill said:

When you open up the app, scroll right and there is a tab in the middle for "boarding pass".  Click on that.  Should work...

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

There should be a row of tabs near the middle of the screen but the boarding pass is off  screen and I think I had to scroll to the left to bring it into view.  It was well hidden.

If the case, this is very poor design (I have yet to experience the new App as no current booking).  Everything about an App should be intuitive or obvious.  I don't require training or instructions to use any of my bank apps, shopping apps, airline apps, hotel apps, etc. 

IDK why these IT idiots are still working for Princess almost two years after launch of the previous App.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If the case, this is very poor design (I have yet to experience the new App as no current booking).  Everything about an App should be intuitive or obvious.  I don't require training or instructions to use any of my bank apps, shopping apps, airline apps, hotel apps, etc. 

IDK why these IT idiots are still working for Princess almost two years after launch of the previous App.

Remember they are not Princess employees but a third party contracted by Princess

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Remember they are not Princess employees but a third party contracted by Princess

Yes...but they are *still* "working" for Princess (and I use the term "working" in its very loosest definition!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

Immaterial in my mind.  If all contracted, then a lot easier to get rid of them.  Maybe the problem is that not enough business-side employees are involved in the project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Port of LA you need to show the boarding pass and passport prior to going through security.

Sorry, incorrect as of three days ago. See posts #2 and 8 above.  Boarding passes were absolutely NOT required, the security people manning the pre-security desk told us we didn't need them and we never showed them to anyone.

12 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

That is exactly how I would describe San Pedro! Haha 

Agree, the staff at San Pedro are idiots, possibly the worst port to board from anywhere in the world. Last time the security woman wanted us to wait 10 minutes so she could search our hand luggage, she scanned it and gave it to us, then said wait and I'll rescan it....... Walked off in the end with bag. 

12 minutes ago, antsp said:

Agree, the staff at San Pedro are idiots, possibly the worst port to board from anywhere in the world. Last time the security woman wanted us to wait 10 minutes so she could search our hand luggage, she scanned it and gave it to us, then said wait and I'll rescan it....... Walked off in the end with bag. 

I think the staff there can kill the vacation buzz faster than anything. I just expect it and as soon as I’m checked in, the vacation really starts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

I'd hope they'd be smart enough to swipe to view something that is half shown under days to cruise. A first grader could do it. 

Again, given Princess' older demographic, much of this stuff isn't intuitive.  Not sure why the App developers though it would be a good idea to bury many of the functions of the App in menus.  Even while on the ship and connected to MedallionNet, the Ocean Front is slammed with passengers needing a tutorial on the new app.

9 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

So anyone can go through security and right into the terminal and right up to the ship then? That doesn't seem right but okay.

Pretty much.  In SF and LA, I've seen people not sailing seeing their relatives off make it past security and check-in to the boarding lounges in the past.  The only credential needed is a passport which passengers just flash to the port agents manning the entrance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 7:31 AM, birdiebill said:

Our cruise is 11 days out and when I swipe on the new app, I see my boarding pass. However, I do not see a boarding pass for my wife. I see the luggage tags for both of us. Thank you for your help.