Crystal Explorer Fare

Keith1010

I’m getting close to booking a 2025 cruise, and I’d sure like to take advantage of the explorer fare. 

I apologize in advance as I know this is likely a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I understand the fare rules correctly.

Regarding the non-refundable option, I see the following:

Guests may cancel prior to one hundred eighty (180) days of the sailing date and receive a future cruise credit equivalent to the reduced cruise fare paid less applicable administrative fees. The future cruise credit can only be applied towards the then prevailing cruise fare on a sailing departing in the same calendar year as their original cruise. 

Does “same calendar year” mean that if I need to cancel, I can apply the entire cruise fare (less the admin fee) to another cruise, but that cruise HAS to be in 2025? Or would I have 12 months to take the later cruise?

I’m assuming the former, but figured I’d better confirm. I certainly don’t expect to have to cancel, but given that it’s more than a year away, I’d like to know what my options are should something catastrophic occur. 

And again, please forgive my asking what probably seems pretty self-explanatory. 😉

We pre-paid for a 2025 cruise (the refundable option) to get the 10% discount.  Figured it was worth the savings.  I'm not too worried about insolvency, but will get trip insurance to cover that just in case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between the 10% and 20% Explorer discount for a 2025 booking more than paid for my travel insurance, including 75% Cancel or Interrupt for Any Reason insurance. True, it would not pay 100% but on the other hand, the CFAR will pay 75% up until we depart, and the IFAR will pay up to 75% even after we depart.  And of course it still pays up to 100% for covered reasons.  All in all, I thought it was a pretty good trade-off. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SusieQft said:

The difference between the 10% and 20% Explorer discount for a 2025 booking more than paid for my travel insurance, including 75% Cancel or Interrupt for Any Reason insurance. True, it would not pay 100% but on the other hand, the CFAR will pay 75% up until we depart, and the IFAR will pay up to 75% even after we depart.  And of course it still pays up to 100% for covered reasons.  All in all, I thought it was a pretty good trade-off. 

We just booked a 2025 cruise using the 20% discount Explorer fare, and our trip insurance cost only 1/4 of the amount of the discount. So it seems like a no-brainer to me! I agree with you it’s a good trade-off. 

• Like 2

I looked at this for one of our cruises, but one we are already booked on. I looked t it for the 20% and for the 10%.

I have come to the conclusion that this is going to vary by person.

For example, if you are already booked you have to look at what the price increase is. If you are not booked already that's not an issue.

If you used an on-board booking discount it won't apply to this promotion.

Cost of insurance will range.  I've taken cancel for any reason insurance one time and actually used it  Cost was 16% for the insurance but as noted if you cancel for any reason it cover 75% versus higher if you had a medical issue.

Then there is the question of how much you may have realized by keeping the money invested.

So like most things the devil is in the details.

For some it will work well as it has for SusieQft and LeeAnne and for others it might be marginal.

Keith

If it is not a new booking, you won't be able to get CFAR.  Even using EI "money" might prevent that, depending on the company.  The older you are, the more expensive the insurance. 

You can go to tripinsurancestore.com and use their "side by side comparison" link to see the cost, coverages, and options for your trip from a number of different companies.  If the trip cost is >= $25,000 per person, there will be a lot less choices shown.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

If it is not a new booking, you won't be able to get CFAR.  Even using EI "money" might prevent that, depending on the company.  The older you are, the more expensive the insurance. 

You can go to tripinsurancestore.com and use their "side by side comparison" link to see the cost, coverages, and options for your trip from a number of different companies.  If the trip cost is >= $25,000 per person, there will be a lot less choices shown.

The new booking is my first point.

To get it you have to make a new booking and that means one thing to consider is your original cruise fare and what the new fare is. Depending on when you book it could be higher.

And agree with you about age being yet another factor.

This is why I said the devil is in the details.

It is a good idea for each person to review their particulars to determine whether or not there is a benefit to do this and that includes looking at both the nonrefundable and refundable options.

Keith

One thing to maybe watch out for on CFAR -- consider if the policy has exceptions if you get credit back to use on another cruise.  With Crystal, the 20% (non-refundable) version may allow you apply the funds to a later cruise in some cases.  One should consider if that renders CFAR unusable.  Would want to look at the policy language.

I would not expect to be able to double dip the CFAR and the 100% FCCs you would get it you cancel more than 180 days out.  There is nothing to stop you  from waiting until less than 180 days to get the 75% (or less) cash from the insurance instead.

• Like 1