Purchasing Princess Plus, After Balance Paid Through TA

If you contact Princess support, so few of them seem to be able to give an answer, beyond what they copy and paste into chat.  I need some guidance, please. 

We are sailing in 18 days. This was booked by my in-laws through a TA. It is obviously fully paid for. They are treating the family.

My husband and I want to add the Plus package. 

It looks like I can do it on the app or website.

I contacted Princess Support to ask if the amount of onboard credit could be used for it.

They said no and also said I cannot add the package, I have to go through the TA.

Not my TA and my in-laws will have a fit if we "bug" them to have it added, although we are paying for it. (very long story)

**Side note - the TA they used is horrible. They tried some scamming along the way.

So, is my only option to avoid the TA is to pay for it after we have boarded the ship?  My only concern is that I have read many times it takes 24-36 hours to become available. We were hoping to go on the app before setting sail and just charging it to our shipboard account.

That is certainly the *easiest* way to add.  The people on board actually doing the "selling" actually *know* what they are doing.  As far as it taking 3 or 4 days...I have NEVER heard that.  There are those here on CC that have stated that it is instantaneous, because they are looking directly into your onboard folio account.

• Thanks 1

Also...if you have purchased insurance then you will be paying just a bit more than the cost of the package if you buy pre-cruise.  The insurance is a percentage of the total cost of your cruise...and you've just "increased" that cost.  That's why it is advantageous to do it on board...as well as potentially pay for it with OBC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That is certainly the *easiest* way to add.  The people on board actually doing the "selling" actually *know* what they are doing.  As far as it taking 3 or 4 days...I have NEVER heard that.  There are those here on CC that have stated that it is instantaneous, because they are looking directly into your onboard folio account.

Do I need to go to somebody on board or can I just do it on the app the morning that we sail? I would think at that point, the morning we sail, the TA is out of the picture? 

Just now, Luv2CtheMouse9 said:

Do I need to go to somebody on board or can I just do it on the app the morning that we sail? I would think at that point, the morning we sail, the TA is out of the picture? 

As soon as you walk on board you will see people behind portable desks or standing beside an easel promoting the packages.  Just let one of them take care of all the details...and get on with having a cruise! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last trip on the Emerald, we purchased plus package from a waiter at dinning room during lunch right after getting onboard. Drink we ordered during that lunch was not charged, it's instantaneous as described by Rick&Jeannie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There will be people on board in all the main areas selling the upgrade. Go to them they know exactly how to do it. The $60/pp/day will be posted immediately to your on board folio and will net against any OBC in your on board accounts(s). By the way, in case you are not aware there is a military benefit and a Carnival shareholder benefit. The military benefit per person is for active and vets. With each you receive OBC. You can search on line for the Princess Military benefit. You can also search on line for the Carnival shareholder benefit. You have to own at least 100 shares. The addresses on line are not accurate. They recently changed. Check on this site for how to apply for the shareholder benefit. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Luv2CtheMouse9 said:

Thanks to both of you.  I was planning to do it 3 days before, but it makes sense to wait to avoid the TA issue/situation.  🙂 

I think you've made the better choice!  There's really no clear advantage to doing it pre-cruise and it's so easy.  Actually...the system might not even let you do it 3 days out.  Many things (especially excursions) are "closed" a few days before sailing.  I don't know if they do the same with package sales...but just do it on board.

I agree that you should do it onboard as soon as you board. One good thing about doing it that way is that the crew member who "makes the sale" gets perks for doing so. It's a good way to help out a crew member.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I agree that you should do it onboard as soon as you board. One good thing about doing it that way is that the crew member who "makes the sale" gets perks for doing so. It's a good way to help out a crew member.

Yes did it on board for my last cruise. Have to say I never noticed these upsell people before, but since I was on the look out for them, they were easy to see.  Must admit, I got a newbie who didn't know what to do, so it took long than i expected,  but what's the rush. It was probably 10 minutes. 

We booked our next cruise through a TA. She is not our normal TA but on a previous cruise I had to cancel, she booked it for us because our normal TA was not available and since I cancelled, I wanted to make sure to book my next cruise with her so she could get her cut. I added Plus from the app because I wanted our medallions shipped to us so we didn’t have to pick them up at port. Otherwise I would have just ordered once onboard to avoid the extra insurance cost. Long story short, when I tried to get or medallions shipped to our home and the app said to call, once I called they said it couldn’t be changed and call back and I was like I’m not calling back and going through another 40 minute runaround so I told them to just cancel my Plus order. Princess said that needed to be done through my TA. I confirmed with my TA, this is correct. Even if you order through the app and the TA has nothing to do with the purchase, it becomes part of the booking and your TA needs to become involved if cancelling. The TA was able to get the medallions shipped to my home, which baffles me since the Princess customer service rep (two of them) could not. Bottom line, if you book before boarding, it becomes part of the booking through your TA even if they had nothing to do with the sale.

• Thanks 1