Barcelona Hotel pre cruise

I just received notification that our pre cruise hotel in April will be the Intercontinental Barcelona.  It appears to require taxi/uber to city center.  Since we only have the one night in Barcelona, I’m wondering if the hotel is worth the trade off for better location.  We intend to use our own transportation to the ship regardless.  Have previously stayed at the Majestic.  The hotel was good and loved the location. Thanks!

We did a one night pre-cruise at the Intercontinental. The location is not great for a tourist, but Regent did have a shuttle to the city center. We used it, saw a couple sights, and went back to the hotel. Note that we were VERY jet lagged. Our primary goal was to get a good night's sleep, and the hotel provided that. It didn't hurt that we were put into an absolutely stunning suite for some reason.

I wouldn't consider the Intercontinental for a longer stay, but it met our needs.

We are travelling in August. We turned down a different hotel and got a credit. We are staying for a few days before the cruise and chose to stay centrally at the Plaza Catalunya as we wanted a private outdoor area. We also like to “ wander “ around a place and our last stay in Barcelona 2 years ago was  just by the Sagrada Familia therefore we decided to try a different district this time. Taxis are cheap and plentiful so I don’t think it matters where you stay. I would factor in the morning plans before embarkation before deciding. We wouldn’t use the bus to the port as we prefer to arrange our own transport. Our issue is finding a company to take us from the airport to the hotel as although we have been told the taxis queue at the airport moves swiftly we prefer to be met. ( any recommendations gratefully received ) If you use the Regent hotel you will have transport from the airport. We have no experience of this as we always deviate.

I did the Arts several times pre covid   what was great but overpriced

And I was not very happy in the Palace ( formerly Ritz )    - I had "greater" expectations 

I also did Eurostars  - just ok for one night pre cruise 

And W hotel   off peak  

Regent put us in Le Meridien for the one night stay before the cruise. Great location, right on Las Ramblas. Not sure if they would switch you if you asked.

Just now, Flgreg said:

Regent put us in Le Meridien for the one night stay before the cruise. Great location, right on Las Ramblas. Not sure if they would switch you if you asked.

No, I’m pretty certain there’s no switching option.  I’m fine about taking the hotel credit and booking my own….just not sure, as I said, if it’s worth it.  Had stayed once at another Regent pre cruise hotel (Juan something?) that was waaay out of the way.  Guess I just prefer to be in “the middle of things” even if only for one night???

Bonnie:  if you can stay awake, there is a great restaurant just east of las Ramblas called Los Caracoles. Pam and I wish you a wonderful cruise and safe travels.   We miss you and Debbie. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 2

For our Grandeur cruise July 22 from Barcelona, we arranged our own air and pre-cruise hotel at the Majestic. Included hotel is Sofia which seems to be in a kind of out of the way area from Barcelona hotspots and Majestic looks terrific. Last time in Barcelona we stayed at El Palace and very much enjoyed it and the location. Uber from Majestic to pier then looking forward to Grandeur. 

On 2/9/2024 at 2:20 PM, bebop bonnie said:

I just received notification that our pre cruise hotel in April will be the Intercontinental Barcelona.  It appears to require taxi/uber to city center.  Since we only have the one night in Barcelona, I’m wondering if the hotel is worth the trade off for better location.  We intend to use our own transportation to the ship regardless.  Have previously stayed at the Majestic.  The hotel was good and loved the location. Thanks!

Loved the Majestic when we stayed there last year--centrally located, beautiful recently renovated rooms, nice rooftop deck and a phenomenal breakfast.  Easy to catch a car to the pier. But, you probably know all this already! 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 4:35 AM, welshfamily said:

Our issue is finding a company to take us from the airport to the hotel as although we have been told the taxis queue at the airport moves swiftly we prefer to be met. ( any recommendations gratefully received ) 

We have used Blacklane extensively in Europe. Not inexpensive, but always excellent service. In September/23, airport to Serras Hotel (couple of klicks SE of Plaza Catalunya) was EUR 97. 🍺🥌

9 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

We have used Blacklane extensively in Europe. Not inexpensive, but always excellent service. In September/23, airport to Serras Hotel (couple of klicks SE of Plaza Catalunya) was EUR 97. 🍺🥌

We also use Blacklane extensively in Europe. Very professional staff with excellent vehicles. CurlerRob.....lived in TO for 18 years and curled a few times at St. Georges.

• Like 1

FWIW, we're staying on in Barcelona after our sailing at the Monument, which is right on Passeig de Gràcia, a block from Casa Mila, and boasts Michelin one-star and Michelin three-star restaurants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bebop bonnie said:

Just made the decision and booked the Majestic for a too short pre cruise stay in Barcelona.  Also booked Blacklane. Thanks everyone for your great input and suggestions!!  Bonnie

We have done the same for our July Grandeur cruise. Out TA advises the Majestic's breakfast is sensational.....most likely no lunches those 2 days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gpilon said:

We have done the same for our July Grandeur cruise. Out TA advises the Majestic's breakfast is sensational.....most likely no lunches those 2 days.

@bebop bonnie and @Gpilon--The breakfasts were so good my wife and teenagers tried to replicate some of the dishes when we got home (and yes, did we skip lunch most days!).  Best part about it was the breakfast was included in the AMEX Leading Hotels of the World program. Our rooms were also very nice--I'm not sure if it was because our two side-by-side rooms were behind a segregated door, but they were recently renovated and quite plush. 

Of course, if you go and you end up not liking the hotel...I said nothing and I was never here....😇

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, GMIAC said:

FWIW, we're staying on in Barcelona after our sailing at the Monument, which is right on Passeig de Gràcia, a block from Casa Mila, and boasts Michelin one-star and Michelin three-star restaurants. 

We stayed there in June and really liked it. Great location and staff. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there, We re on the Navigator in November, pre-cruise in Barcelona is at the Sofia, which has now become The Hyatt Regency. Sounds very nice. Hope it is.

We are Arlette and Murray Rose from London. The cruise is from Barcelona to Miami.

A hopefully helpful word of warning

Sofia was the hotel we turned down ( took the credit). It has some great reviews.

It’s up by camp nou.

The hotel is not near the centre however taxis are plentiful and cheap however some of the rooms have the basin etc in the bedroom and we travel with our adults son and daughter. They share a room. The hotel could not guarantee that the bathroom would be enclosed for privacy. This is becoming a problem for us in many “ newly designed” hotels as the facilities are only separated from the bedroom by glass partitions. 
To be honest and you can call me old fashioned even though we have been married for 42 years I can honestly say I prefer to use the facilities including showering in private and not behind a glass partition however  obscured the glass is. 
on the plus side the hotel responded very professionally to my query.

• Like 5