Burial at Sea on the Discovey

15 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

There is no charge. Other than what it costs to purchase the biodegradable urn. When on the Crown I asked the Guest Services Officer, that help set everything up how often do they have a burial at sea. She told me they average 2-3 a cruise.

2-3 a cruise...amazing.    Thank you for sharing.

3 hours ago, bellebaby said:

Has anyone inquired about an ashes release in Canadian/Alaskan waters sailing from Vancouver?  

I wonder where it would be allowed.

B

This is from the email I received from princess. Not sure about Canada.

• Ashes may not be released in Alaskan waters, however, there are opportunities to disperse ashes during Alaskan cruises in international waters. Exact locations will be decided by the Deck Officers onboard, due to several factors and regulations that must be considered.
  • Ashes may only be spread in international waters

31 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

This is from the email I received from princess. Not sure about Canada.

• Ashes may not be released in Alaskan waters, however, there are opportunities to disperse ashes during Alaskan cruises in international waters. Exact locations will be decided by the Deck Officers onboard, due to several factors and regulations that must be considered.

Thank you for the quick response.  

B

On 2/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, nasa1974 said:

@coloradocruisers101  I have done a burial at sea twice with my wife's ashes. Once on Royal Caribbean, March of last year, the second time this past October on the Crown. 

@mina information is pretty much the same way it happened for me. Except on the Crown, it was at the very end of the ship on the Promenade Deck. Security had the area blocked off for privacy. It was so windy I had prepared myself to catch the biodegradable urn if it came back at me. It didn't. 🙂 You should also receive a certificate with the latitude and longitude of where the ashes entered the sea. For me it was the next day. As far as throwing tulips and roses that will be at the discretion of the Officers on board. That may be something you would like to mention when you get to Guest Services when you first get on board.

Something to think about. Depending on how many are in your party you might want someone to take pictures or a short video of the ceremony.  I had a friend take a short video on the Royal Caribbean cruise to share with my daughters, but I was solo on the Crown. I did get a picture of the table with flowers and my wife's urn sitting on it.

It was a very interesting and emotional experience. 

Sorry for your loss.

Marty

P.S. My sister lives in Aspen and I have a good friend that lives in Colorado Springs.

My husband passed away from non-COVID related issues during the pandemic.  He was an avid scuba diver in earlier days and I plan to spread his ashes in or around Cozumel this year,

We also loved sailing to Alaska.  After reading your post, I might very well do both.

B

Belle baby,

I think that is a wonderful idea to share with your husband.  He will be watching from above.  Some of my Mom’s ashes were spread in the Colorado mountains, the exact spot where her husband of almost 50 years were spread a few years earlier so they would be together.  This cruise was her wish, albeit alive.  I hope she will enjoy from up above.

Peace and good will!

2 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

My friend is planning a burial at sea on an upcoming Princess cruise.  She was informed that she can't throw flowers overboard, so you might inquire ahead of time.  You can apparently request flowers for the table.

This is part of the email I got from Princess when I requested a burial at sea for my wife's ashes. I highlighted the flower part.

Below are our guidelines for the dispersal of ashes at sea:

• Ashes must be brought aboard already contained in a biodegradable/water soluble urn and must be unopened as it enters the water (suitable materials include: sand & gelatin / paper pillows or boxes / salt urns / clay urns – bamboo is not a recommended material)
  • Certificate or receipt must be presented as proof that the urn is biodegradable and complies with environmental regulations
  • Loose ashes are unable to be scattered due to the windy nature of the decks while at sea
  • The transfer of ashes into an urn cannot be done by ship’s personnel
  • Biodegradable packages/containers are not available for sale onboard the ship
  • Scattering of flowers/flower petals may or may not be permitted and will be at the discretion of the Officers onboard
  • Ashes may not be released in Alaskan waters, however, there are opportunities to disperse ashes during Alaskan cruises in international waters. Exact locations will be decided by the Deck Officers onboard, due to several factors and regulations that must be considered
  • In accordance with environmental regulations, only ashes, biodegradable urns, and biodegradable flowers (where allowable) are permitted to be spread overboard.  Cards, paper, metals, plastics, and other non-biodegradable items are not permitted
  • Our ships do not employ a Chaplain
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:15 AM, nasa1974 said:

I did everything at home and had the ashes in the dissolvable plastic bag (it tied closed with a string) and then I put that in the urn. The box it came in was small enough that I kept the urn in the box and put that in my carryon. I had all my paperwork but didn't get stopped by TSA. Make sure you have the paperwork that came with the urn to show it is biodegradable. 

This what I purchased from Amazon.

biodegradable urn.jpg

What exactly is that image?  Thanks in advance.  

• Like 1

My biodegradable urn came today.  It is a beautiful turtle with all instructions and a glass turtle as a keepsake.  I know this will be epic for my final final goodbye!

Again, thank you for all that posted.  I hope this will help someone in the future on their journey.

Peace and Love for all!

• Like 4

On 2/11/2024 at 1:31 PM, coloradocruisers101 said:

Here is a pic of my beautiful Mom.  Just to add a face with this thread 🥰🥰🥲🪽

IMG_6001.jpeg

I can tell from her smile that she was a very special lady!  Condolences on the loss of your dear Mom.

Probably too late to do this for my mother on March 2nd. I have her ashes in a plastic bag in a cardboard box but I could buy an urn if needed. I can't decide what is most appropriate. My wife's father was in the navy and he was buried at sea which made sense. I'd kind of like to put mom's ashes in our yard and plant her favorite flowers (roses). Also I signed something saying that I wasn't going to take the ashes out of Arizona which I don't know why that matters. Anyway, thank you for the post. I didn't realize that burial at sea was an option on a cruise.

My biodegradable urn came today.  It is a beautiful turtle with all instructions and a glass turtle as a keepsake.  I know this will be epic for my final final goodbye!

Again, thank you for all that posted.  I hope this will help someone in the future on their journey.

Peace and Love for all!

Edited by coloradocruisers101
Duplicate post
  • Thanks 1

Desertdwellingsailor,  I don’t think it is too late.  Princess responding in one day.  I think it would be wonderful to do both, burial at sea and planted with her favorite flowers.  Again, I split the ashes so I could fulfill all of my Mom’s wishes.  Reading everything on this post, Princess is wonderful and I am so thankful for this.

Love and Hugs!

I am glad I read this thread.

My husband actually passed away a few years ago.  I am just now making arrangements to spread his ashes.

I had no idea there is a "Cremation Certifiate".  I contacted the Mortuary that performed the service and they are emailing it to me.

Thanks to everyone.  This is a very special thread.

B

• Like 2

Thank you Bellebaby.  Yes, this thread had meant so much to me as well!  I did a lot of research and did not find any current info, hence the new thread.  I think if I could help just one family, then my work is done.

Happy travels and I hope you the most amazing ceremony!

Also, I wanted to add that there is spreading ashes vs a burial with biodegradable urn.  One of the other posters that I actually spoke to were able to release the ashes.  Due to many things that can go wrong (wind), that is why I decided to keep my Mom in the urn.

I hope this helps…

• Like 1

I am now very confused.  

I received the Cremation Certificate.  It states that the remains are in a container properly sealed in a plastic bag which contains a round metal ring tag with the numbers XXXX.

That is correct.

So, when do you transfer the ashes from the existing container identified on the Cremation Certificate to the biodegradable urn for the burial at sea?

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

B

2 hours ago, bellebaby said:

I am now very confused.  

I received the Cremation Certificate.  It states that the remains are in a container properly sealed in a plastic bag which contains a round metal ring tag with the numbers XXXX.

That is correct.

So, when do you transfer the ashes from the existing container identified on the Cremation Certificate to the biodegradable urn for the burial at sea?

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

B

I would suggest that you transfer the ashes to the biodegradable urn at home just before you depart for your cruise. The plastic bag provided with the biodegradable urn must be used because it will dissolve in the water where the other bag will not. Place that plastic bag with the ashes back into the biodegradable urn. Make sure your paperwork is available just in case TSA has any questions because it will be in your carry-on bag. I didn't have any problems and I have done it twice. On the ship the environmental officer needed to see the biodegradable urn and I had to show the cremation paperwork, the papers that came with the biodegradable urn to show it was biodegradable and when I did the burial at sea on a Royal Caribbean ship the wanted to see the death certificate, Princess did not, but I had it anyway. Any more questions please ask, or you can email me at nasa1974 at yahoo.

Both cruise lines were very professional and handled the process with respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello wonderful board members and again thank you for your amazing posts.  Just one more question about the crew that helps us on this special occasion.  Do we tip?  I know this is very sensitive area.  I did buy a few small gifts, a small key chain that says “dreaming of the sea” complete with a turtle and a book mark that has  “thank you for being part of my story” printed on it.   Just not sure what is appropriate.

I think the small gifts will be appreciated.  Funny, as an insurance agent, I have never been tipped 😀😆😢

Cheers to all!

On 2/9/2024 at 9:11 PM, Steelers36 said:

Was your idea to divide the ashes so that you would leave them in two different locations?  I had not thought of something like that before.

We put mom’s ashes in 4 different locations that were special to her per her request

• Like 1