Winter Break on the Athem (2/17-25) - A Trip Report

It's about time for you to get off the ship. LOL,  Today we are going to load our car for a 8:30AM departure time tomorrow.  Hope to be at the parking deck at 9:45/10:00. 

As a side note we sailed out of Bayonne through super storm Sandy..........good times!

Edited by seeing the sights
add
  • Like 2

Decided to try the MDR “brunch” which was in American Icon. I got a much nicer waiter than the time I did breakfast (the one who acted like it was a huge issue I had not pre-ordered.)

It was ok… My server cut my wedge salad for me - not a fan, but whatever. He also neglected to say that apparently the frites part of steak frites would be a problem - I didn’t get them. 😢 I can only assume they don’t have a dedicated fryer - which isn’t a problem for me, but I don’t like to cause issues and confusion. They did bring ketchup, which was weird since no frites ever appeared. Overall I have not been thrilled with their gluten-free game - lots of stuff they should have available but don’t (chicken fingers for example…or a dedicated fryer at the MDRs). It’s especially surprising since they partner with Autism on the Seas and a lot of people with autism eat gluten-free…and kids especially can be super choosy about their foods, many only eating things like chicken nuggets/fingers.

Still… Pics from “brunch”…

IMG_9273.thumb.jpeg.a608436d12787346937218764062f49c.jpeg

Post cutting - I had no chance to take a pic before.

IMG_9278.thumb.jpeg.a2c715189ce2205bcfb00c7ece4db10b.jpeg

Steak no frites - they just weren’t there and never appeared.

IMG_9279.thumb.jpeg.201b2d61324028847786a92151864a74.jpeg

Ketchup did though.

IMG_9280.thumb.jpeg.4b92677953b9db923d4c7e34a9e6e2ee.jpeg

At least I knew this dessert was fine.

I know people ask about the table situation. Yes, they appear to have the ability to split 4-tops by doing something like 229 and 229B, but they are not far apart. A bread plate is the reference.

IMG_9267.thumb.jpeg.53d8766e4ad204caa143384c11eeb8bf.jpeg

Not sure what I am doing this afternoon. Maybe wander, maybe read.

• Like 1

It’s become kind of a tradition to do a “Toast to vacation” selfie. This one was colder than usual!

IMG_9284.thumb.jpeg.cde4d0cfd793fd21ef2b201ae340a36b.jpeg

(The drink is From Here to Orion from the Bionic Bar. Cuervo Gold, Blue Curaçao, and Sprite)

Came up to the Solarium to read for a bit before dinner (only problem with evening cleaning - it’s between 5 and 8 ) and nature started showing off.

IMG_9288.thumb.jpeg.9895754f2f35dc37219b7dc838148ea6.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It’s become kind of a tradition to do a “Toast to vacation” selfie. This one was colder than usual!

IMG_9284.thumb.jpeg.cde4d0cfd793fd21ef2b201ae340a36b.jpeg

(The drink is From Here to Orion from the Bionic Bar. Cuervo Gold, Blue Curaçao, and Sprite)

Came up to the Solarium to read for a bit before dinner (only problem with evening cleaning - it’s between 5 and 8 ) and nature started showing off.

IMG_9288.thumb.jpeg.9895754f2f35dc37219b7dc838148ea6.jpeg

Thanks for letting me know about breakfast/brunch pre-orders.  Since I have allergies that greatly affect the regular menus, I'm sure they'll want me to pre-order those, too...and I never even thought about those meals til now...

• Like 2

Did dinner at MTD once more since I had pre-ordered. French Onion Soup, Chicken Chettinad, and Crema Catalina. All yummy!

IMG_9290.thumb.jpeg.e0271b4300797ecd29c0bd5fe8dba297.jpeg

IMG_9292.thumb.jpeg.1963a40cbfb863c123b665d505061694.jpeg

IMG_9293.thumb.jpeg.4e0b4eb40e7323a7271310a31f8c7480.jpeg

IMG_9294.thumb.jpeg.a44d1e8dd861f59c43f63319a5be1bb9.jpeg

It was 7:05 when I finished, so I hoofed it to Two70 and was able to scoot up to the balcony to catch most of Spectra’s Cabaret one last time. That show truly has been the highlight of my cruise.

IMG_9295.thumb.jpeg.3576df857e85da1f25285b2cbc006af4.jpeg

IMG_9296.thumb.jpeg.1a50f7576c45ac79ec014295d029daca.jpeg

IMG_9297.thumb.jpeg.3e811c2b35237d4ad0d552606953faa8.jpeg

IMG_9298.thumb.jpeg.6189103ae36c971d24a5efa13ed7b96c.jpeg

Now to finish all but last-minute packing and try to get some sleep. It’s gonna be an early morning. 😢

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It was! I was a bit afraid of the menu, but my server helped me make decisions that worked for me!

I’m afraid of the menu at Wonderland, too. In my case it’s due to food allergies and also the fact that I’m not at all an adventurous eater. I hope I can get up the nerve to try it at some point because the overall experience does look like fun. 

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Thanks for letting me know about breakfast/brunch pre-orders.  Since I have allergies that greatly affect the regular menus, I'm sure they'll want me to pre-order those, too...and I never even thought about those meals til now...

I have food allergies and have been to brunch numerous times. Never preordered and that was never a problem. We’re on Allure in about 2 months and am hoping they’ll offer brunch at least on our 4 day segment where we have two sea days. It’s highly unlikely to be offered on our 3 day leg since we have no sea days.  Guess I’ll find out soon enough. 

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Did dinner at MTD once more since I had pre-ordered. French Onion Soup, Chicken Chettinad, and Crema Catalina. All yummy!

IMG_9290.thumb.jpeg.e0271b4300797ecd29c0bd5fe8dba297.jpeg

IMG_9292.thumb.jpeg.1963a40cbfb863c123b665d505061694.jpeg

IMG_9293.thumb.jpeg.4e0b4eb40e7323a7271310a31f8c7480.jpeg

IMG_9294.thumb.jpeg.a44d1e8dd861f59c43f63319a5be1bb9.jpeg

It was 7:05 when I finished, so I hoofed it to Two70 and was able to scoot up to the balcony to catch most of Spectra’s Cabaret one last time. That show truly has been the highlight of my cruise.

IMG_9295.thumb.jpeg.3576df857e85da1f25285b2cbc006af4.jpeg

IMG_9296.thumb.jpeg.1a50f7576c45ac79ec014295d029daca.jpeg

IMG_9297.thumb.jpeg.3e811c2b35237d4ad0d552606953faa8.jpeg

IMG_9298.thumb.jpeg.6189103ae36c971d24a5efa13ed7b96c.jpeg

Now to finish all but last-minute packing and try to get some sleep. It’s gonna be an early morning. 😢

I love all of the Indian food choices--I hoped you had a chance to go to the Windjammer on Indian Night--I thought it was great!

I have very much enjoyed your daily reports. Thanks very much!

Teddie

Edited by teddie

1 hour ago, perfect match said:

I’m afraid of the menu at Wonderland, too. In my case it’s due to food allergies and also the fact that I’m not at all an adventurous eater. I hope I can get up the nerve to try it at some point because the overall experience does look like fun. 

I don't have any food allergies, but I am super picky. It does look like fun. I can fill up on deviled eggs or chicken, if there is nothing else, I want to eat. We have yet to experience a ship with Wonderland. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, perfect match said:

I have food allergies and have been to brunch numerous times. Never preordered and that was never a problem. We’re on Allure in about 2 months and am hoping they’ll offer brunch at least on our 4 day segment where we have two sea days. It’s highly unlikely to be offered on our 3 day leg since we have no sea days.  Guess I’ll find out soon enough. 

Brunch was no problem (other than the no frites). And other than the server I had the port day I went to breakfast having some attitude, breakfast was no problem.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, teddie said:

I love all of the Indian food choices--I hoped you had a chance to go to the Windjammer on Indian Night--I thought it was great!

I have very much enjoyed your daily reports. Thanks very much!

Teddie

I think that was last night. Not positive. 

Thank you!

That has to be the easiest debarkation ever.

After an early breakfast in the Windjammer, I went back to my cabin to brush my teeth and get my stuff, then headed down to Deck 5 to get in line. I was in line by 6:30 or so and I was at the back of the sculpture there. I think it was around 6:50 a crew member came down asking us to make sure we had our SeaPass cards in hand, so that was a good clue we were about to start moving. And sure enough, we did. Quick trip down the escalator and then walking through the area where they were putting out baggage and a stop at the facial recognition screen at customs and I was outside. A bit of a struggle to get a signal (T-Mobile is not the greatest at the port), but I was in an Uber by 7:01 and home by 7:45!

Merida is doing well and is doing her velcro cat routine. 🙂

So... My overall thoughts...

I'm glad I tried such a large ship. Granted, part of the issues may be that it was a totally full sailing with 1600 under 18s on board - and that both of our sea days going down and the better part of both returning were cold so everyone was inside - but I don't think a ship this size or larger is for me. I am not one who needs or uses things like bumper cars (those belong in amusement parks, not on ships), Flow Riders, or iFly fake sky diving. I've done my 3 previous Royal cruises on Radiance- class ships (I'm only missing the Serenade to complete the set), and that size feels about right for me. But as I said, I'm glad I tried it. If you don't try you'll always wonder.

Leaning into my teacher side, here's my list of Glows and Grows

Glows

* Spectra's Cabaret. Hands down this was the highlight of my cruise!

* Beach Bed on South Beach. I'm not 100% decided on Coco Cay overall (it's extremely busy, and it feels like a lot of space is devoted to the water park which is not my jam.

* The serving team of Don and Zaq who I had both nights I did MTD and was in Silk.

* My solo balcony cabin. Yes, it's small, but I don't pack a ton of stuff and I don't need a lot of space. As my TA said, "Everything you need, nothing you don't". Bonus for the extra large balcony...I just wish it had been warm enough to actually enjoy it!

* The Bionic Bar was cool. I do wish they had other flavored vodka options than Vanilla as there is a drink I would have love to have made but it requires raspberry and blueberry. That's just me though. It was cool to watch the drinks be made and see the recipe.

* Though I'm not a pool person, I love that they have a solid adult-only Solarium - which is made possible by having the option for the indoor family pool. I can only imagine that when the ship they're getting next year which doesn't have that enclosed area the adults will lose that space for the first 2 days so kids have somewhere to splash. It is LOVELY to have a quiet retreat area to chill.

Grows

* Their gluten-free game. While I didn't go hungry, this could definitely be improved. Particularly with selection. I was shocked that they don't have gluten-free chicken fingers (or nuggets) - especially as a cruise line that partners with Autims on the Seas. As a teacher of kids with autism, I know a lot of them are on gluten-free diets, and many of them have food issues and often only eat chicken fingers/nuggets. There also seemed to be issues with fries - at Chops, they appeared to have been baked, not fried, and at the MDR brunch, the steak frites was only steak...though ketchup was brought. The 2 dinners I was in the MDR - one of which I had pre-ordered, one I had not - were well done and I had options. I will say Celebrity does a much better job at actually labeling things - both on the menus and at the buffet. And Disney flat-out has allergy menus for all of its MDRs.

* Other entertainment shows. I lasted 5 minutes of The Gift and not super long at We Will Rock You (though my escaping that one was less obvious since during the afternoon show on Day 7 we started hitting rough water so a number of people left unable to handle the movement...I'm sure people just assumed the motion was bothering me)

* Nassau. Grated I'm not sure where else they would go, but that port is over-done.

* The entrance to the Solarium Bistro being only in the 18+ area since kids are allowed to eat there. Because the entrance is inside the 18+ area, kids do come into the 18+ area for that. Most leave after, but... (Royal isn't alone in that awkwardness. At least the Dream class ships on Disney have the forward stairs/elevators that open onto the adult pool area, so kids are constantly walking through to get to the all-ages pool area.)

Overall I did have a good time, and as I said, I'm glad I tried it.

Thanks for following along!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cinderellen said:

Did you try the 270 cafe? We really liked that venue when we sailed on the Anthem. Thanks for the review. Very well done. 

I got a coffee drink or two from there. I didn't ask about gluten-free options there. It looked good if I could eat real bread though.

Thank you for a very enjoyable and fun review. 

I’m sure Merida is as happy to see you as you are to see her. I know we hang onto our 🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛ a little bit tighter when we first get home from our vacations.

• Like 1