Where to spread ashes

We did this with my MIL's ashes several years ago. I reached out to Carnival prior to our cruise and they made it so easy for us. Once onboard the ship, we received a letter in our room that gave us our date and time. An officer met us at guest services and took us down to a lower deck at the back of the ship. There was our group of 16 and another guest who had her father's ashes. The officer gave us ample time and was very respectful. It was so quiet and peaceful there that afternoon and we saw dolphins just as we released the ashes. It was actually very moving.

Edited by Knights on the Beach
  • Like 16

My sister and I scattered our brother’s ashes off the Carnival Panorama in January 2023.  Everything was handled very respectfully, similar to what “Knights on the Beach” described above.  A Guest Services representative and a security officer were present, but gave us our time and space.  It was very meaningful.  The following day my sister and I each received a beautiful padded folder with a picture of the Carnival Panorama inside, along with a certificate signed by the Captain that stated the exact date and time, and latitude/longitude where the ashes were scattered.  It couldn’t have been nicer.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

You can watch some ceremonies online. Usually it's done down where the ship's mooring lines are at the aft. 

That would be the stern, as there is no such thing as "the aft".  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was considering doing this for my mom as she loved cruising.    With going through Carnival, you have to be 12 miles offshore before you can scatter your ashes.    My mom couldn't swim and I didn't think that she would like this so we are going with another option.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, peggisue said:

I was considering doing this for my mom as she loved cruising.    With going through Carnival, you have to be 12 miles offshore before you can scatter your ashes.    My mom couldn't swim and I didn't think that she would like this so we are going with another option.   

I love this!  💖💝💓💗💞💕

• Like 2

The Guest Services staff didn’t tell us how many miles out we had to be, but I assumed 12 miles.  They said the bridge staff had to assess the expected winds and sea conditions and would let us know what time the scattering could be done.  They offered us a 2 hour window.  My sister and I were very happy with the way everything was conducted.  

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 3

You contact Carnival in advance and they'll send you an email detailing the requirements. Once onboard, just check in w/GS. You'll get notice onboard of the day/time as @nwcruiselover @Knights on the Beach said. It's done very respectfully as is the package you receive w/the certificate. One note is sea conditions can impact the plans, so flexibility is important. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

🤓

aft of a ship is a nautical term to describe a vessel’s rear section or back end. The rear of the ship can also be called the stern, but aft is often the preferred term when discussing larger vessels like cruise ships.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

Is there any additional paperwork that needs to be completed when bringing ashes onboard? 

No one asked me for anything.  I had brought my brother’s death certificate and certificate of cremation, but no one asked for it.  Same with carrying the urn in my carry-on bag on the plane.  TSA did scan it separately but didn’t require any documentation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

No one asked me for anything.  I had brought my brother’s death certificate and certificate of cremation, but no one asked for it.  Same with carrying the urn in my carry-on bag on the plane.  TSA did scan it separately but didn’t require any documentation.

That was our experience as well (minus the plane).

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 6:41 PM, Knights on the Beach said:

We did this with my MIL's ashes several years ago. I reached out to Carnival prior to our cruise and they made it so easy for us. Once onboard the ship, we received a letter in our room that gave us our date and time. An officer met us at guest services and took us down to a lower deck at the back of the ship. There was our group of 16 and another guest who had her father's ashes. The officer gave us ample time and was very respectful. It was so quiet and peaceful there that afternoon and we saw dolphins just as we released the ashes. It was actually very moving.

I have given my kids explicit instructions that I want this done.

• Like 5

My mom loved the two cruises she took and one time mentioned having her ashes scattered at sea.  I have a beautiful urn.  Which I have never looked into.  Do they open?  If I was to do this, do I carry the urn with me?  Or is it better to use a zip lock baggie so as not to be so heavy?  I know I sound like a dork, but I am legitimately asking this.  Thanks!  Lisa

• Like 2

When my sister and I scattered our brother’s remains, we used a biodegradable “scattering tube,” which I found on Amazon.  After the remains were put into it, it was securely sealed.  There was a small punch-out hole on top, so we were able to punch that out and scatter a portion of the remains into the sea, then throw the rest of the remains and the tube itself into the sea.  Carnival made sure the tube was biodegradable before we did it.

• Like 2

Having done this a few months ago I agree with what's above, they handle it well and we got a book with a signed letter from the captain with the exact spot it was done, unexpected and very nice. We were asked about documents so bring whatever is required and if they want it you have it.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2024 at 8:44 PM, peggisue said:

This would be the case with any cruise line; for environmental reasons it would need to be done at least 12 miles offshore.  

• Like 2

I do not know the legality of this but I scattered my mother's remains (after she was done with them) from shore instead of from the ship.  I was on a secluded beach that I love, and I waded out to knee-deep water to scatter the ashes.  I timed the waves so that the ashes would be carried out instead of carried to shore.

There was no paperwork, no Environmental Protection -- just me and the ashes.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:40 PM, nwcruiselover said:

When my sister and I scattered our brother’s remains, we used a biodegradable “scattering tube,” which I found on Amazon.  After the remains were put into it, it was securely sealed.  There was a small punch-out hole on top, so we were able to punch that out and scatter a portion of the remains into the sea, then throw the rest of the remains and the tube itself into the sea.  Carnival made sure the tube was biodegradable before we did it.

My father in law was just cremated and they offered a box of sorts which was biodegradable and allowed my husband to place him at the inlet in Ft. Pierce. That "packaging" keeps it simple and saves money on an urn that would otherwise not likely ever be used. I know that's my plan.