Just wondering no:2 …..

Vallesan

23 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Yep, Vegas isn’t a place for wanting to go to bed by nine, not interested in great production shows, or interested in possible iffy food. 

"Iffy food." We were there a couple of years ago and had amazing food. 

https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/restaurants/jaleo

https://www.lotusofsiamlv.com/

Some of the best restaurants in the country and even the world are there. Go back...please.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

it means you didn’t understand what he was saying. 

Interesting.

In British English it usually signifies quick movement, so I read your "whoosh" as meaning folk should quickly get to the restaurant recommended by clo. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/17/2024 at 5:47 PM, pinotlover said:

Yep, Vegas isn’t a place for wanting to go to bed by nine, not interested in great production shows, or interested in possible iffy food

Okay now. There's what you wrote. I'm interested in  understanding this. The highlighted words. Please.

BTW - great production shows? well, we did see Jimmy Buffet.

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Interesting.

In British English it usually signifies quick movement, so I read your "whoosh" as meaning folk should quickly get to the restaurant recommended by clo. 

Indeed, sir. The food there is simply fantastic.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

The food there is simply fantastic.

I've never been to Vegas and probably never will now. My partner has but was travelling with a very non-foody family member so never got to try the good places. 

1 minute ago, Harters said:

I've never been to Vegas and probably never will now. My partner has but was travelling with a very non-foody family member so never got to try the good places. 

Yeah, it wasn't on my bucket list but Jimmy Buffet was and the food was AMAZING, a word I try not to use when describing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Interesting.

In this instance it is the sound of an airplane going over head. Maybe you've never seen it an internet board before. Maybe I made it up, it's gonna go viral. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

In this instance it is the sound of an airplane going over head. Maybe you've never seen it an internet board before. Maybe I made it up, it's gonna go viral. 

More like the sound when you push The Button in your cabin's bathroom? 

::runs and hides:: 

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 8:47 PM, pinotlover said:

Yep, Vegas isn’t a place for wanting to go to bed by nine, not interested in great production shows, or interested in possible iffy food. 

Hmmmm....I don't want to go to bed by nine and I like great food but still don't like Vegas. I went there for years (work-related) and ate at some of the finest at the time. Loved Aureole (RIP) but many of the others have other locations that are less sterile. Dined at L'Atelier in Paris and I frequently traveled for work to Lyon (home of 17 Michelin starred restaurants and many without stars that are equally if not as consistently good).

As for shows...probably true that I am not a big fan of Vegas style shows or curated "residencies". Rather Broadway or Covent Garden or something classical (NY Phil, Opera at the Met).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hmmmm....I don't want to go to bed by nine and I like great food but still don't like Vegas. I went there for years (work-related) and ate at some of the finest at the time. Loved Aureole (RIP) but many of the others have other locations that are less sterile. Dined at L'Atelier in Paris and I frequently traveled for work to Lyon (home of 17 Michelin starred restaurants and many without stars that are equally if not as consistently good).

As for shows...probably true that I am not a big fan of Vegas style shows or curated "residencies". Rather Broadway or Covent Garden or something classical (NY Phil, Opera at the Met).

I have a bit of a negative bias toward restaurants that are in hotel. But Jose' Andres' places aren't like being in the hotel.

• Like 1

Let me rephrase for Clo:

Vegas is wide open with expansive entertainment and other activities all night long. There are numerous tremendous shows and nightly entertainment to see. Vegas has a wealth of fabulous restaurants where one will never get anything but an exceptional meal.

Now, if you prefer to be in bed by 9:00, aren’t interested in any type shows ( especially if they keep you up past 21:00), and are OK with meals that may be very good or not, then Vegas isn’t the place for you and stick to certain cruise lines.

So to the OP, sometimes people want a ship that approximates their sedate lives. Some people want a ship that is more Vegas or Manhattanish. For us, sometimes we go to the country, sometimes we go to the big city. People do the same with cruise lines. A mega ship this cruise, a 100 passenger sailing vessel the next. Lots to choose from.

• Like 3

In Scotland - Whoosh - the effect when someone cracks a funny and it goes over everyone's heads and fails to hit the mark, the joker receiving blank stares from assembled company! A bit like some of the discussions on this forum!!!!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, tine-tine said:

In Scotland - Whoosh - the effect when someone cracks a funny and it goes over everyone's heads and fails to hit the mark, the joker receiving blank stares from assembled company! A bit like some of the discussions on this forum!!!!

You had to go an do that.   I'll add another bit of Scottish wisdom:

"An Englishman laughs at a joke three times:  When it's told, when it's explained, and then when he gets it".

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

"An Englishman laughs at a joke three times:  When it's told, when it's explained, and then when he gets it"

Yes. We always like to enjoy things more than once if possible

• Like 1
  • Haha 3